cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung J3 Emerge - Easing back into Android and getting lots of help

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Samsung J3 Emerge - Easing back into Android and getting lots of help

HomescreenHomescreenI haven't used an Android smartphone in a few years; and even longer since I last used a Samsung smartphone. I've been impressed with the high-end Galaxy devices--the S6 and S7 were very sharp devices. But I was simplifying life--I had been carrying a flip phone for a year--and when it was time to get back to modern age tools, I went with an iPhone.

When an opportunity arose to try out an Android phone I was excited to see what had changed and learn what Samsung had been doing lately. While the Emerge isn't necessarily thought of (or priced like) a high-end device, it looks and feels pretty good to me. The screen is bright and colorful, it is lightweight but feels well put-together, and so far is pretty snappy in handling my day-to-day email, messaging, browsing and the occassional Minecraft session.

Diagnostics alertDiagnostics alertAlthough I was able to jump right back into Android without much of a learning curve, I'm impressed with the on-device help that Samsung packed into the Emerge. Not only are there proactive alerts for things like memory-hogging apps, but it also recommends things like restarting your phone if you haven't in a few days. As someone who routinely helps out family and friends with technology issues, it brings a smile to my face to know that Samsung is recommending those basics to people and clearing up some easy-to-solve issues.

Easy Mode HomescreenEasy Mode HomescreenIn addition to those little proactive helpers, there is a great "easy mode" feature that I'm a fan of for people who are new to smartphones or get confused. Turn it on, and it makes the icons for key features larger, puts them front and center, and hides some of the more complicated settings.

Also built into the phone is the Samsung+ App. This is like a built-in knowledgebase for everything you'd need to know about yoru phone, but also tips on technology basics like taking photos, gaming, using your phone to manage music, digital security and more. The articles are well-written and cover topics that are interesting. The article about music services talks about the ups and downs of a few different onces, includes pricing information and easy links to download the apps. For someone just getting up to speed with Android or smartphones in general, having this built right into the device is a huge help.

Samsung+ App ArticlesSamsung+ App ArticlesAs if that weren't enough, if you need more help, you can start a live video chat with a Samsung+ agent to walk you through issues too. I started up a chat with a rep just to see if it was goign to ask me to pay for additional support or jump me though some hoops and I was pleasantly surprised to find that in just a few seconds, a live rep answered and walked me through changing some settings on the phone. She was able to lookup my Samsung account and see which devices I had registered in the past too. A pretty amazing level of service to get, particularly for a phone that's not as high-end as others on the market. This feels like high-end service and you don't have to shell out a ton to get it.

So far I'm pleasantly surprised with the Emerge. There may be some bells and whistles missing (biometric security, higher-cost materials, the speaker isn't great), but a week in, and it's proven itself to be very capable and all the built in support is really outstanding.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 REPLIES 0
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat