cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Buy Unlocked S9 or Sprint Version?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Wizard

Should I Buy Unlocked S9 or Sprint Version?

I'm thinking of upgrading to the S9 but on the fence regarding buying the unlocked version or the Sprint specific version.  Is there a benefit to the unlocked Samsung Galaxy S9 version?  Does the Sprint specific version locks out all other domestic networks?

I'm hoping that with the latest SGS9, it is built out-of-the-box working on all networks (domestic and international) and Sprint only locks it down if the customer owes money on the device itself.  If not then the Sprint version would work on other domestic networks just fine.  Is this wishful thinking?

Anyone on Sprint now with an unlocked S9?  Or anyone with a Sprint version S9 who have tried using it on a different domestic network?

Thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

@Penguin_ wrote:

@fireguy_6364and @svogt302 are correct, but I just want to jump in and leave this link here for more details about bringing unlocked devices to the Sprint network. SOLUTION: Bring Your Own Device FAQs. If you have any other questions let me know!

Thanks, @Penguin_.  I've seen that list before, just looking for real life responses, if possible.  I'm going to assume that if I go through Samsung's finance plan for a Sprint branded S9, Sprint won't lock it but it's not guaranteed to be unlocked for use on other domestic carriers.  I need to check with other domestic carriers' BYOP's.  If I purchase an unlocked S9 (Special Edition model?) then Sprint treats it as a BYOP option as long as the phone is eligible on the network as noted below.  Finally, Sprint branded device will have additional functionalities (e.g., CallingPlus, Sprint ID, etc.) that the unlocked might (most likely) will not.

(Looks like the most flexible model is the Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ in regards to being functional on all domestic carriers.)

Eligible devices include (domestic versions):
  • Samsung Galaxy Note8 Special Edition
  • Samsung Galaxy S7 edge Special Edition
  • Samsung Galaxy S7 Special Edition
  • Samsung Galaxy S8 (Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile)
  • Samsung Galaxy S8+ (Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile)
  • Samsung Galaxy S8 Special Edition
  • Samsung Galaxy S8+ Special Edition
  • Samsung Galaxy S9 Special Edition
  • Samsung Galaxy S9+ Special Edition

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
GrandMaster

all the S9s would work the same on the same networks. the carrier branded ones come with things like Calling Plus/wifi calling where the unlocked version will not.

the carrier branded one though would be sim locked until its payed off though..so if you plan on doing any international travel you will need to jump onto the i think its called international roaming or something like that..it wont be sim unlockable until its payed off.

unlocked versions wont have the carrier bloatware..just think of it like one of the Google Nexus phones..same rules apply

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

That makes sense and about what I thought.  What if I bought the Sprint branded phone through Samsung, on their finance plan, would it still be locked by Sprint since I don't owe Sprint for the phone per se?

Anyone done this?

Highlighted

I'm under the impression that the carrier branded ones may not have both CDMA & GSM capabilities, therefore won't work on every carrier.

Highlighted

@fireguy_6364 and @svogt302 are correct, but I just want to jump in and leave this link here for more details about bringing unlocked devices to the Sprint network. SOLUTION: Bring Your Own Device FAQs. If you have any other questions let me know!

Penguin
Social Care Rockstar
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are Welcome
Highlighted

@Penguin_ wrote:

@fireguy_6364and @svogt302 are correct, but I just want to jump in and leave this link here for more details about bringing unlocked devices to the Sprint network. SOLUTION: Bring Your Own Device FAQs. If you have any other questions let me know!

Thanks, @Penguin_.  I've seen that list before, just looking for real life responses, if possible.  I'm going to assume that if I go through Samsung's finance plan for a Sprint branded S9, Sprint won't lock it but it's not guaranteed to be unlocked for use on other domestic carriers.  I need to check with other domestic carriers' BYOP's.  If I purchase an unlocked S9 (Special Edition model?) then Sprint treats it as a BYOP option as long as the phone is eligible on the network as noted below.  Finally, Sprint branded device will have additional functionalities (e.g., CallingPlus, Sprint ID, etc.) that the unlocked might (most likely) will not.

(Looks like the most flexible model is the Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ in regards to being functional on all domestic carriers.)

Eligible devices include (domestic versions):
  • Samsung Galaxy Note8 Special Edition
  • Samsung Galaxy S7 edge Special Edition
  • Samsung Galaxy S7 Special Edition
  • Samsung Galaxy S8 (Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile)
  • Samsung Galaxy S8+ (Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile)
  • Samsung Galaxy S8 Special Edition
  • Samsung Galaxy S8+ Special Edition
  • Samsung Galaxy S9 Special Edition
  • Samsung Galaxy S9+ Special Edition

View solution in original post

Highlighted

No problem! If you purchase an unlocked S9, we will treat it as a BYOP as long as the phone is eligible. You are right, we won't lock it, but we can't guarantee you can use it on other carriers.

Also, if you purchase a Sprint branded phone, then it will be locked until there are no longer financial obligations with it. At that time we can request to have the phone unlocked for you. Like you stated, it will have additional functions that the unlocked phone may not have. 

Penguin
Social Care Rockstar
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are Welcome
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat