Version:    
Subversion:    
Hardware Version:      

Fixes:

Google Security Patch update - January and February

SeaWolf
Sprint Community Manager & Customer Advocate
Captain of the Vicious Cream-puff
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Re: Software Update: Galaxy S6/S6 Edge+ RB2, S8/8+ ver RB1

Considering Samsung has started to roll out the Android Oreo update for the S8/S8+ overseas, and we're getting this security update now, that indicates that we won't get the Oreo update for at least another month?

Otherwise I would assume they'd have rolled the security updates in with the Oreo update instead of pushing them out separately? 

GrandMaster

your assumption is correct. they always get the updates well before the we do here in the states...always been this way.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I'm well aware of the fact overseas gets updates before us, that was never in question.

The question lies in whether the Oreo release for US carriers will be coming in a matter of "weeks" or "months" as there's a big difference between the two.  All the suggestions online make it sound like the update should be on the way before too long considering there were several beta releases over the past 6 months 

GrandMaster

i would lean towards months..that way if it comes in quicker than that you can be surprised lol.

nothing aside from rumors will be said in here until the actual release day. possibly the day prior.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Again I wasn't expecting anyone would post an actual date, we won't know that until it actually starts showing up on our devices. 

So perhaps the question was more rhetorical considering if it were close to release I'd assume the security updates would have been baked in instead of being delivered separately.

Its still possible we get it later this month as they do occasionally release updates close together,  but in general yes I wouldn't be shocked if we don't see it until summer. 

Community Manager

I'd say sooner rather than later, and certainly before summer unless some major issue requires a lot of back and forth between Sprint's testing lab and Samsung. It's not at all unusual to have more than one release in a month, especially because there's a lot less to test in a security update than there is in a major release like Oreo. If I recall correctly, we're currently in lab testing with Oreo, so as soon as it's passed that, we'll send it out.

I'm an S8 user myself and very interested. I'll post as soon as I know anything.

SeaWolf
Sprint Community Manager & Customer Advocate
Captain of the Vicious Cream-puff
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

GrandMaster

personally i have enjoyed the fact for the most part they have been keeping security updates and bug fixes separate from the larger OS updates..WAY less chance for issues to pop up.

Wizard

It was going to be out about a month ago or so but they had pulled it to work on it more due to it was causing some reboot issues.  Smiley Happy 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat