cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software Update: S8/S8+ - CallingPLUS now enabled!

Journeyman

Re: Software Update: S8/S8+ - CallingPLUS now enabled!

My question like everyone else probably asking or thinking...when is an upgrade for the note8 coming out for the CallingPlus software?

Community Manager

I am typically notified the day before or the day that the feature is enabled.  I would say it's a safe bet that the Note will get CP but I can't guarantee it and don't have a time frame to provide for when that will happen.  

When it is released for the Note 8, it will be as part of an MR and I will update my Calling Plus blog article and post the MR notes in the Note forum.

SeaWolf
Sprint Community Manager & Customer Advocate
Captain of the Vicious Cream-puff
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

Journeyman

You state in your note that " Your phone should validate the address required for E911 service and complete the enablement.". 

1. How does the phone perform this validation? 

2. What happens if I change locations?  Does the phone automatically update my address?

3. What if I am offshore in the Gulf of Mexico with access to wifi?  Will Calling PLUS work then?

I am currently offshore with access to good wifi signal.  Calling PLUS was working for the 1st 2 days, but now it will not connect.  I can use What's App just fine, but not Calling PLUS.  Thanks for any insight you can offer on this.  Henry

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hi Henry - I'll see if I can help.  The address validation is part of the provisioning process when first enabling Calling PLUS.  If you previously had Wi-Fi Calling provisioned before your device was updated then that carries over.  You don't have to enable a 2nd time.  The main step in that provisioning process is the address entry/validation.  When you submit that info, it is validated to make sure it is not a made-up address.  There is not any "location validation" as part of that process.  By that, I mean if you enter an address in Dallas, TX but you are actually in Chicago there is not a check for that.  The system just validates the street is spelled correct, the city is valid, etc.  That address information is not updated dynamically.  It is the customer's responsibility to make sure that address reflects your location. 

For your current scenario, here are a couple thoughts.  The Wi-Fi Calling portion of Calling PLUS will work in the US and also outside of the US.  If you are actually in the Gulf on a boat the service in theory should work.  My main thought of a possible problem is the inability for the phone to determine some Location information to pass in for registration.  That's because we don't allow the service to work in select countries.  The device may not be able to determine a country if you are actually in Gulf.

Let us know if you have more details and if it works when you are back on-shore.    

Journeyman

YellowJ,  Thanks for the response and clarification on address registration.  The CallingPLUS seems to be working again and has been consistent now for 1.5 days.  Maybe it has figured out my location finally.  Thanks again.  Henry

Journeyman

I recently began using Calling Plus on my S8. I have Wi-Fi Calling enabled and LTE Calling disabled to specifically test calls only over Wi-Fi. The icon is displayed in the notification bar and Wi-Fi calling is connected to my local network. However, when I place an outbound call, the icon disappears after a few seconds of ringing and the call is not placed over Wi-Fi. When I terminate the call, the icon reappears. Inbound calls are working fine, only outbound is affected. I have high speed internet with Comcast and the Wi-Fi signal strength is excellent. I have successfully placed a Wi-Fi call when connected to an xfinitywifi hotspot. What could be the issue here? Is there a setting or port I need to open on my router (D-Link DIR-645)?

GrandMaster

you have your home address added in there correct?
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

yep

GrandMaster

weird. wonder if for some reason it cant run solo by itself without the LTE calling in there? it can transfer itself from wifi to the LTE calling if im remembering right..doing some digging now to double check. back in a sec
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

At first, I thought that too. But, yesterday I was able to connect to a public Comcast hotspot and place a Wi-Fi call. That's why I think something is not configured correctly on my home network or there is an incompatibility of some sort.... or Comcast is blocking it.

GrandMaster

i have a pretty decent amount of things to dig through for info on this one..or i might just test it out on my G6 when i get home to see if i run into the same thing or not.
GrandMaster

i have comcast as well and nothing done special to my network. runs like a champ on my G6..well semi pro champ..i do run into some random issues with it from time to time..attempt to make a call and it just says didnt connect...but that is pretty random for me.
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat