cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software Update: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (Oreo)

Journeyman

Re: Software Update: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (Oreo)

Sprint or Samsung tech support will help. Due to where you got it and the firmware I suggested the only contacts. Please contact one or the other.
Journeyman

Since I updated my Note 8 on the Sprint Network to Android 8.0, my device ringtone defaults to silent. I have changed it multiple times and within 20 minutes, the ringtone goes to silent. I am able to hear text and email alerts. I can hear my ring doorbell alert. I have been on the phone with +4 Sprint technicians and gone into the corporate store. Do you have any solutions to my problem?

Journeyman

Since I updated my Note 8 on the Sprint Network to Android 8.0, my device ringtone defaults to silent. I have changed it multiple times and within 20 minutes, the ringtone goes to silent. I am able to hear text and email alerts. I can hear my ring doorbell alert. I have been on the phone with +4 Sprint technicians and gone into the corporate store. Do you have any solutions to my problem?

Tags (1)
Community Manager

Sure, usually when we see this, a third party app is the culprit.  Either it was given permissions or denied permissions and it's throwing a fit.  So, let's see if an app is involved.  Boot your device in Safe Mode.  What Safe Mode does is disable all apps and run the operating system.

1. Turn the device off.
  2. Press and hold the Power key past the model name screen.
  3. When “SAMSUNG” appears on the screen, release the Power key.
  4. Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
  5. Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.
  6. Safe mode will display in the bottom left corner of the screen.
  7. Release the Volume down key when you see Safe Mode.

Once in safe mode.  Check to see if you are able to change your default ringtone.

Journeyman

The problem is not changing the ringtone, but the ringtone automatically defaults to "SILENT". Therefore, I cannot hear the phone ring. I am able to hear text alerts but not hear the phone ring. I am now in safe mode. I will wait to see if in within 20 the ringtone defaults back to silent.
Community Manager

@ankaren1 wrote:
The problem is not changing the ringtone, but the ringtone automatically defaults to "SILENT". Therefore, I cannot hear the phone ring. I am able to hear text alerts but not hear the phone ring. I am now in safe mode. I will wait to see if in within 20 the ringtone defaults back to silent.

Yes, I understand.  Let me know if it defaults back to silent or not.

Journeyman

so far it has not. I will let you know in another 30 minutes or so if the ringtone remains.
Community Manager

@ankaren1 wrote:
so far it has not. I will let you know in another 30 minutes or so if the ringtone remains.

Standing by...

Journeyman

My phone has remained in safe mode and you were correct, the ring tone I chose has also remained. What's the next step?

Community Manager

@ankaren1 wrote:

My phone has remained in safe mode and you were correct, the ring tone I chose has also remained. What's the next step?

Now here comes the hard part.  You have to determine which app was given/denied to sound and/or ringtone duties and either update or remove it.  I know the previous versions of Samsung you can reset the default.  I'm not sure about this one.  I do not have a Samsung with me right now.  But in the past you could do:

Go to Settings > Apps > All Apps > and click the top right corner one with three dots.

Click it  > Reset Preferences  Apps  >  and a window will appear.

Click > Reset Apps 

GrandMaster

might also jump into the play store and make sure all your apps are fully updated to be compatible with Oreo..depending on how many apps you have on your device you can start with one app and disable it..then run the phone for a while to see if it changes or not..if it does then re enable that app and disable the next one and so on until you run into the app causing it..time consuming but this is also a method you can try. just keep in mind that this is more than likely being caused by a 3rd party app you have downloaded onto your phone...so that might narrow it down a bit.  but make sure they are all updated in case that is all that it is needing.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Should I get out of Safe Mode to complete this step and ensuring all of the apps are up to date on the play store? By the way, I really appreciate your help.
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat