Software Version: G935PSPT8CRK2
Release Date: 12/20/2018
Method: Available OTA

Fixes:

December 2018 Android security patch level

18 REPLIES 18
Journeyman

Re: Software Update: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (SM-G935P) 12/20/2018

Please help ... I downloaded the update, yesterday, and immediately experienced rapid battery drain. I've been reading, online, this morning, for 35 minutes and went from 100% to [currently] 75%. 

No other changes made to settings or apps. 

What can I do?

Community Manager

That's strange.  The update is just an Android Security Patch.  Go to the app store and make sure all your apps are up to date, check the battery settings to see what is using the battery the most, you may want to clear the cache partition on the device, but that is Plan Z.

@DGC1993 wrote:

Please help ... I downloaded the update, yesterday, and immediately experienced rapid battery drain. I've been reading, online, this morning, for 35 minutes and went from 100% to [currently] 75%. 

No other changes made to settings or apps. 

What can I do?

Journeyman

I went to the App Store and checked the list ... all showed me when they had been updated; I'm guessing that means they're all updated? 

I will check the battery, as well. What should I look for? Of course, there will be apps using more than others - should I watch for unknown apps, or ... ? 

Thanks, admittedly a little green on these things. 

Community Manager

When you go to the battery settings, it will show you what is using the battery from the most to least.  See if it jives with your usage.  If you see some app using a lot of battery and you rarely use that app, then you would want to force close it or uninstall it altogether.

@DGC1993 wrote:

I went to the App Store and checked the list ... all showed me when they had been updated; I'm guessing that means they're all updated? 

I will check the battery, as well. What should I look for? Of course, there will be apps using more than others - should I watch for unknown apps, or ... ? 

Thanks, admittedly a little green on these things. 

Journeyman

My husband and I both have the Samsung S7 and are having the same issues. Ever since the update was pushed the battery is draining fast. We’ve both checked, all apps are up to date, no new 3rd party apps have been installed. I’ve been looking for a solution for the last few days only to discover the same issue being posted on multiple forums for multiple carriers...some are hypothesizing that Samsung is throttling the batteries on old phones to force us to upgrade. I hope that is a poor hypothesis, we’ve been using Samsung for years.

@DGC1993 you aren’t alone. 

@Em_Will_I_Am Any ideas on a solution?

Community Manager

When you go to the Battery settings, what does it say is using the battery the most?

@Susysunset wrote:

My husband and I both have the Samsung S7 and are having the same issues. Ever since the update was pushed the battery is draining fast. We’ve both checked, all apps are up to date, no new 3rd party apps have been installed. I’ve been looking for a solution for the last few days only to discover the same issue being posted on multiple forums for multiple carriers...some are hypothesizing that Samsung is throttling the batteries on old phones to force us to upgrade. I hope that is a poor hypothesis, we’ve been using Samsung for years.

@DGC1993 you aren’t alone. 

@Em_Will_I_Am Any ideas on a solution?

Journeyman

Battery usage:

screen

android system

device idle

android os

Community Manager

Percentages?

@Susysunset wrote:

Battery usage:

screen

android system

device idle

android os

Journeyman

Each percent item is showing 1%. In the app using battery list is Messages at 0.03%. There is nothing that seems to be consuming a large amount of battery, all appears normal. Just drains so quickly.

Journeyman

OP, here, back after Holiday craziness.

I'll add my info here, as well, for usage:

Screen 13%

Android System 9%

Chrome 7%

To the poster that mentioned the throttling, I would hope not. 🤬

Thanks for any assistance. 

Community Manager

@Susysunset less than one percent sounds awesome, strange the battery is draining.  @DGC1993 Android System seems kinda high. For both of you, I recommend clearing the cache partition to see if you notice any improvements.  I do it after every software update, but that's just me.  

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key, Home key, and Power key at the same time.
  3. When the phone powers on, the Android System Recovery screen appears approx. 30 seconds later.
  4. Release all of the keys.
  5. Press the Volume down key to highlight "wipe cache partition."
  6. Press the Power key to select.
  7. Press the Volume down key to highlight “yes” and press the power key to select.
  8. When the wipe cache partition is complete, “Reboot system now” is highlighted.
  9. Press the Power key to restart the device.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat