Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software Updates and known issues: Galaxy S9/9+

Go to solution
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Software Updates and known issues: Galaxy S9/9+

Got it @jaschuma!  I'm going to reply here to help everyone else that is going through the same problem, my moms included.  60-year-old ladies and unlocked devices, not a good mix. 

I've been working with the Visual Voicemail Product Managers ever since the S9 SE dropped and my mom got the phone and got the same issue.  Without trying to sound smarter than I'm actually am, it goes like this.  

We have found that server is getting the Class Of Service 80 (which is Visual Voicemail), but that it is being overridden with an override code which forces it to be provisioned for Class Of Service 11.  We believe this is being caused by an inadvertent change to an SMS notification attribute.  We hope to have that fixed by April 18-19 ish.

Journeyman

I would like to report that as of today my VVM is now working without issue.

Kudos to @Em_Will_I_Am and @seawolf for their professionalism and support in helping work through this issue and ensuring a solution was found.   The next time I have a phone issue the Sprint Community will be my first stop.

Community Manager

Glad to hear it!  We had to go to the backroom server and kick it.  It was a little more high tech than that, but we finally got it done.  I would not hate if you hit "accept as solution" though. Smiley Tongue 

Journeyman

Greetings,

I purchased the S9+ 3 weeks ago. Everything except Visual Voicemail transferred over to my Sprint unlocked phone. I'm reading the issue has been resolved yet I go to the play store, install and allow ALL 6 permissions. Still not working. I've uninstalled and reinstalled with the same results. May I get some assistance please. Thank you. Richard

Community Manager

Hey Richard, I can hook you up.  Send me a PM with your phone number.

Journeyman

PM sent...

Journeyman

Any chance on Sprint looking into (RCS) enabling enhanced messaging on the Special Edition/Unlocked models?

Currently it seems to be disabled via carrier customization purposely (CSC). On a branded device it works, flashing a unbranded to branded works and rooting the device and manually force enabling works and crossing the CSC's (branded to unbranded firmware) works though this has other side effects since other sprint apps are missing it relies on for other things.

T-M and other providers are universally enabling this and beyond Calling + (which understandably is a customized app) it's one features really love to see which is not something sprint develops/customizes so is disabled for no true reason.

Journeyman

FYI: Issue regarding my Sprint Visual Voicemail on unlocked S9+ resolved! I just PM Em_Will_I_Am and issue resolved after rece

Journeyman

after received reply to uninstall, update profile and reinstall! Thank you for the 24 hour turnaround! Beats sitting in store for 4+ hours!

Community Manager

I haven't heard of any reasons why or if we disabled it.  As it stands now, we are trying to put everyone we can on RCS.  I don't have an SE to test, but I do know on other devices that are not RCS capable, if you install Android Messages, set as default,  tap 3 dots, Settings, Advanced, Chat Features, Enable Chat Features will turn it on.  

Community Manager

My bad @Billz15 on the 24-hour turnaround.  I was traveling.

Journeyman

Android Messages works fine but I'd like to use the native one built-in as has other features.

The provider ultimately controls the CSC. Sprint has the feature disabled in the CSC pushed to the SE but not the branded one. It's possible they just didn't catch or forgot to enable by mistake. The messaging app is the same in both however and crude methods to modify the CSC prove it working (as expected since RCS is now standardized).

CSC is essentially the service provider SW that is pushed. It controls provisioning within native apps (caller ID, Wifi calling, RCS, hotspot etc.). What I'm not positive on is if Sprint simply makes the change or if they have to tell Samsung to update the SPR CSC for the SE and simply accepted all defaults not knowing better since new to the BYOD game.

If possible I'd love if you can find someone to toss it at to dig into more. I'm happy to help any testing etc. on the side if someone wants to contact me direct. This would benefit a lot of customers and make Sprint shine better. Right now the perception is Sprint intentionally removes workable features of BYOD to force people to pay for the higher priced branded one which likely isn't the case.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat