cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint can't/won't unlock Samsung Galaxy S8 for use on Verizon

Go to solution
Journeyman

Sprint can't/won't unlock Samsung Galaxy S8 for use on Verizon

Bought this phone off a friend who was on Sprint.  After she paid it off, she switched to AT&T for a new iPhone so she is no longer with Sprint.  When she did that, the Sprint store kept the SIM card and said it was unlocked.  She sent the phone to me and for the past week + I can't get it added to my Verizon account because it keeps showing as being locked by Sprint.  She has contacted Sprint again and has even received an email stating that within a "few hours" the unlock will be done.  That was last night at 4:30PM, as of this morning, the phone is still locked.  The email also mentioned leaving the phone on and the SIM card in it, kind of hard to do when the SIM card was taken by the Sprint store.  I need help!

3 REPLIES 3
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: Sprint can't/won't unlock Samsung Galaxy S8 for use on Verizon

Our unlock cases can take up to 48 hours to be completed. She will get a email when it is done. 

Yes to get a successful unlock a Sprint SIM should be inserted, but since this is a iPhone you should be fine. Just power on and connect to WiFi.

SOLUTION: Sprint Hints for Successful Unlocks

Journeyman

This is a Samsung Galaxy S8, not a hideous iPhone.  But that is beyond the issue....Anyways, I finally got it working.  I was able to grab a co-workers Sprint-branded SIM card (he's on a smaller carrier that uses Sprint) and as soon as I popped it into my phone, it unlocked and I was then able to put my Verizon SIM card in and everything is working perfectly now.  In more searching and investigating, I did come across a bit of information that said only Sprint requires a Sprint-branded SIM card in the phone at the time of unlocking for Android-based phones only.  Thought that was a bit interesting and thought I'd mention it here in case anyone has the same issue.

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Glad to hear it worked, Bill!

The reason Android phones require a Sprint SIM to receive the unlock signal, is that without it, it doesn't have any way to communicate with our network and receive the unlock "push". 

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat