cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint told me my phone was unlocked, but it is still locked.

Journeyman

Sprint told me my phone was unlocked, but it is still locked.

I have a Sprint S9 plus which had been on Sprint for more than 50 days. I requested unlock and on  8/24/2018 1 received a message from 9099 telling me Your phone on line xxxxxxxxx has been successfully unlocked. I believed that and swapped this phone out without further testing till today, when I inserted a ATT SIM card, the phone tells me the SIM card is not readable, invalid SIM card. Tested with several other SIM card, rebooted several time with these non-Sprint SIM card inserted, all ended up with this same result. I also noticed that in UICC unlock it shows Your device is locked to Sprint SIMs only. 

Can someone help me to look into this? Thanks!

Tags (1)
22 REPLIES 22
Journeyman

Re: Sprint told me my phone was unlocked, but it is still locked.

After a factory reset today, having my Sprint SIM in, Wi-Fi connected, I tried Update PRL (succeeded ) , Update Profile (failed) and UICC Unlock (failed) . I thought it might be due to this phone has been swapped out of plan, so I swapped it back in but to a different number, did those 3 but the UICC Unlock still failed. I also talked to a CSR in activation department in the afternoon and as told that this phone is internationally and domestically unlocked.

Anyone care to help?
Journeyman

I reached out to Sprint support here and they submitted a ticket this morning. I tried another UICC unlock at noon and it's shows up as unlocked this time. 

Journeyman

We were told our Iphone 7 was unlocked also.  After several calls of being told again and again it was unlocked we realized the lost phone was unlocked - not the one in my hand.  We called and spoke to a supervisor who said she would make an exception and unlock the phone that I paid $200 insurance and $300 to pay off - only now to still sit with a locked phone.  I called again and was told the promise would not be fulfilled and we should try and sell the phone to a family member who would join Sprint.  REALLY..  After paying $200 for the insurance deductible and $300 to now pay it off - I cannot use the phone with another carrier.  This is crap.  I would not recommend Sprint to anyone.  All I want is my phone that I now own to be unlocked.  Someone should fulfill the promise the supervisor made.

Wizard

Good afternoon. Just to make sure that I'm understanding. You filed an insurance claim on the phone, you were trying to unlock. Got the replacement phone from the claim and requested for unlock once you paid the phone off. Now the phone is still locked to Sprint, is that correct?

QueenK Social Care 

Be Original, Not a Copy. 
Your opinion matters! So feel free to show someand accept the solution once the issue is fixed!
Journeyman

Yes - an insurance claim was filed.  We decided to not activate the phone that was received right away.  Once we knew we would be moving service because of our coverage area, we paid off the two phones on the plan and requested they be unlocked.  Unfortunately we kept being told the phone was unlocked - when we were showing it was not.  It was determined the lost phone was the one unlocked and not the new phone.  A supervisor made an exception and said it would be unlocked (I guess because the phone had not been activated it needed an exception).    After 48 hrs we followed up only to have a new supervisor deny the request, but offered the solution of selling the phone to a family member.  The phone is paid off and we paid the $200 insurance amount.  I just want the phone unlocked as promised.

GrandMaster

so question..when you payed it off..was it then activated in order to get all of this done or is the replacement device still not activated?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

The replacement device was never activated.

GrandMaster

then without it being activated, turned on with a Sprint sim card in it and connected to wifi there is zero chance it could ever actually receive the unlock signal..which if that was a replacement there is a high chance it isnt even in their system since it wasnt activated and added in.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Wizard

Since you got the replacement phone through Asurion, it inherits the eligibility from the original phone. So, we would be able to submit a ticket for an unlock. I'll private message you to get some additional info.

KRow32Cheerleading Under Cover Cheerleader 
Don't worry, be happy!
Spread positivity in the community and while you are at it,
give me a kudo! Go Team!
Journeyman

I would like to share with the Sprint Community that my problem has been resolved.  The IPhone has been unlocked and I am VERY happy.  The Sprint customer service rep was extremely helpful.  Posting questions or concerns on this forum is a very effective approach. 

Wizard

I'm happy I was able to help you out! Smiley Happy

KRow32Cheerleading Under Cover Cheerleader 
Don't worry, be happy!
Spread positivity in the community and while you are at it,
give me a kudo! Go Team!
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat