cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text messages wrong order and length

Journeyman msg
Journeyman

Text messages wrong order and length

Coming from a competitor, I find the Sprint messaging lacking a several ways.

First and foremost,

>>>> messages are broken up and delivered in the WRONG order.

This issue appears to be old issue as I found community thread going way years...

I guess what realy don't understand, why can't Sprint Text messages allow longer thread as your competitor allows??? without being truncated to multiple messages?  This makes sharing web address links difficult and is incredibly annoying.

Is there a fix for this issue?  

Is there one being worked on?

7 REPLIES
Wizard

Re: Text messages wrong order and length

First every Text App will Always Vary no matter who the carrier is so as far as features so forth it will depend on what app your using. The Default Samsung Text App as somethings but if anyone wants more there plenty of other text apps out there. Right now Google is trying to even make their Text App even better which right now is called Android Messages. Some people use Textra SMS but it looks like Google is paining another Change to SMS called Chat...  Read more below.. 

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/19/17252486/google-android-messages-chat-rcs-anil-sabharwal-imessage...

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

@msg --

Hi. First, thanks for coming over to Sprint. We truly appreciate your business.

To address your specific concern, we need more details. However, understand that the SMS framework and standard is antiquated. When the specification was written and approved, people weren't sending long messages. We instead relied on email for lengthy messages. Now-a-day, many of us dislike firing up a laptop just to send out quick messages. We don't even think twice about pounding out paragraph-long messages in text. But the specification was never designed to handle order and reconstruction of multi-threaded messages. It was designed to handle 140 characters (plus a 20 character header).

There are so many variables at work, it's hard to say what the issue is, and you didn't provide a lot of details... 

• Are you sending simple text (SMS, voice channel)?
  • Are you sending pictures, audio or video messages (MMS, data channel)?
  • Are you sending group texts (also MMS)?
  • What messaging app are you using?
  • Are you using or have you enabled RCS (Rich Communication Services)?
  • What device are you sending text messages from?
  • What device(s) are you sending messages to (iPhone, BlackBerry, Android)?
  • Are you sending messages from Sprint customer to Sprint customer?
  • Are you sending messages across different carriers? Countries?
  • What is the current status of the message-recipient's carrier message gateway?

The SMS specification does not address message order. Thus, message order is not a Sprint "decision." (Nor is it a VZW or ATT decision.) Here is the explanation based on the SMS specification (via Wiki):

Hierarchical-threading at the conversation-level is not widely supported by SMS messaging clients. This limitation is due to the fact that there is no session identifier or subject-line passed back and forth between sent and received messages in the header data (as specified by SMS protocol) from which the client device can properly thread an incoming message to a specific dialogue, or even to a specific message within a dialogue.

The hierarchical-threading at the conversation-level is client dependent. Not carrier dependent. The order and handling of the SMS (and MMS) messages will be largely dictated by how the messaging client (app) handles the message queue.

Not sure what carrier you ported over from. But maybe the device you had and the service they enabled for that device, involved a different message app, and perhaps even a different message standard (SMS vs RCS vs iMessage vs BBM).

I hope this helps in some way. If you care to share more details then perhaps we can try to figure out why your experience is less than stellar. 

Again, thanks for being a Sprint customer!

~Ninja CJ

Sprint Product Ambassador and Sprint employee --

All opinions and views are my own. But I'm usually pretty funny and totally on point because I'm humorous and a smart guy, not just a pretty face.
Journeyman

Hello,

I am not sure if the person that entered this question ever replied to your answer but i must. No this reply does not help. No matter what is texted from the regular texting app on an apple phone to another person on another carrier it will come in late, out of order and sometimes so late that the conversation is hard to follow. In my circle there are two of us on Sprint, one with samsung and one with Apple iphone, another with Tmobile and another with Atnt then one with Verizon the order is so wrong that again I am contemplating changing carriers. When will  your SMS structure be reworked?

thank you

Sprint Social Care

Hi kim2018. In addition to the ones that were already mentioned, there are other factors that could be causing delayed text messages,  such as delay in SMS network delivery and network outages. We would like to confirm are you able to receive phone calls? Is this happening in multiple locations? If so, please provide me the nearest cross streets and ZIP codes of the locations where you are experiencing the problem. 

Palmira
Sprint Social Care
Wizard

Which text App are you using? If your using the default App makes sure to check for updates for it from the Galaxy App Store..  You will need to be sign into your Samsung Account to get any updates for any of the default apps on the device. Second I would try a different text App like Android Messages grab it from the Google Play store set it as your default App. Make sure you go into the settings in Advance and that Chat Features are set.. Also you might power cycle the device as well to see if that will clear things up.. Just a thought.. Smiley Happy 

Journeyman

I have been using both Messages and Textra on my Android phone, always updated to the latest versions.  My Messages app says that it is using data to send and receive texts.  When I receive long texts, they are broken up in both apps, however while Textra does display them in order, Messages does not.  Both texting apps are truncating the texts.  When I receive texts from my son, using his iPhone on Sprint, long messages are truncated.  I am somewhat intelligent, proven by the fact that I walk upright on my hind legs.  I can determine the order that the original text was meant to be.  However, I am not intelligent enough to determine what the truncated part of the text contained.  This doesn't seem to be a carrier vs. carrier issue, this seems to be a Sprint issue.  

Wizard

Hey. What kind of phone do you have? How long has this been going on?

QueenK Social Care 

Be Original, Not a Copy. 
Your opinion matters! So feel free to show someand accept the solution once the issue is fixed!
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 10:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat