cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text messages wrong order and length

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Text messages wrong order and length

In my case I work for FedEx and my plan is with Sprint. We are testing allowing customers to two way text with our virtual assistant and the responses are only coming out of order on Sprint user's phones. We have tested the top 3 carriers (still looking for a T-mobile user in my org) and the others all reassemble the messages in order and as one text. It has nothing to do with the SMS client on the phone (iOS or Android) or even the version of the OS.

It's my understanding our aggegator splits the messages when passing to the carriers and appends [1/3], [2/3], [3/3]. Seems like this would be the way to know what order is needed. Also, AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile all strip these numerations when displaying.

-Jay

Highlighted
Journeyman

From my aggregator:
We’ve seen similar issues with other customers, it’s because Sprint does not fully support concatenated UDH, while the other operators do. it’s a known issue.
When other customer sends traffic towards Sprint, they tag each segment with (1/3) (2/3) (3/3) so the subscriber understands. Sometimes they arrive in order, but usually not.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree. The agent's reply is insulting and not helpful at all. Way to blame the user.

I just signed up for Sprint, and I find this text issue very disappointing. It's enough to make me try another carrier. I've never had this before with any other company (okay, well, maybe ten years ago with Tracfone, but not nearly as bad, even then).

I hope Sprint catches up to the rest of the world soon. Service providers should accommodate their users, not force users to limit their communication in an arbitrary and unnatural fashion

Highlighted
Journeyman

Turns out it was an issue with the aggregator that was hosting the short code. It’s working now, but they weren’t passing the header to Sprint. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm guessing from this thread content and others I will have the same result and Sprint just doesn't care. Maybe the T-Mobile merger will help.... We moved from ATT to Sprint, BYOD with Moto G5+'s. Moved our unlocked phones over, Just a SIM swap and activation. Using the pheone and native Android Messages app ATT would display longer messages a single message and in order. It did not do 1/3, 2/3, 3/3. It would show as one continuous message, just as it was sent. Sprint breaks it up into the 1/3, 2/3, 3/3 format and is often out of order. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

In my case it was an issue with the SMS aggregator not sending the UDH (user data header) to Sprint so the messages were displayed out of order. Once that was fixed, I now get the multiple SMS's as one long message.

Highlighted
Journeyman

sms aggregator not sending the udh doesn't mean anything to me. If that fixes it how do you do that?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Short answer: you can't fix it.

Longer answer: if your issue is with a SMS shortcode service then the owner of that service needs to talk to their SMS aggregator to ensure the configurations between them and Sprint are correct for the UDH. If this is for personal SMS texts with your buddies, then it gets more complex if they are on different carriers (AT&T, Verizon etc.). 

Highlighted
Sprint Social Care

Hi! @travatron4000. Let's look into it. From what I'm seeing, your SMS messages are sending in parts, correct? Do you get any error codes and does this happen with every number you text? 

Highlighted
Journeyman

No error. This is just when receiving long messages. The sender doesn't matter. See attached:

This is in 1/2/, 2/2 format. Sometimes messages will arrive out of order. i.e. 2/2 then 1/2

Screenshot_20200701-144152.png

Highlighted
Sprint Social Care

Oh I see, that message in the screenshot looks to be in order. You're saying that some comes out of format? Can you send those to us? 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat