Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text over WIFI ONLY

Journeyman

Text over WIFI ONLY

Have a Galaxy s7 SM-G930P.

I have standard "messages" app.

I have RCS - Rich Communications Settings on.

I can send messages over wifi when I have the WFC wifi calling turned on.

However I am frequently on airplane WIFI or other situations where WFC wifi calling isn't available. 

Did I misunderstand and will this function not work with my S7? If not what models is it compatible with? 

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Wizard

Re: Text over WIFI ONLY

Hey @MARKMUGER1. In order for RCS to work, it also has to be enabled on the other person's phone too. Do you know if that's the case?

KRow32Cheerleading Under Cover Cheerleader 
Don't worry, be happy!
Spread positivity in the community and while you are at it,
give me a kudo! Go Team!
Journeyman

No I didn't see that requirement, however, I have tried on numerous occasions to send to and rcs enabled phone on wifi and it doesn't work.

So once again, is it a phone issue? Setting issue? 

Thanks

Wizard

Good morning. According to the article regarding RCS, the Samsung S8 or S8+, or Note 8 is capable of using this feature. Also, both parties must have this enabled on their phones for it to work. Here's a link regarding this info SOLUTION: Samsung - Rich Communication Suite Tips and Tricks 

Could you use RCS before or has this always been an issue?

QueenK Social Care 

Be Original, Not a Copy. 
Your opinion matters! So feel free to show someand accept the solution once the issue is fixed!
GrandMaster

you are using Google Messages correct? and not the usual stock Samsung one?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Thank you for the article I'd never seen that officially from sprint. 

I've tried both Android and Google messages. Neither work on wifi only.

Does the S9 work? My friend has an S9 but with T Mobile and he can text normally with wifi only.

Thanks

Wizard

Do you only have trouble with texting when you are using the airplanes Wi-Fi?

Penguin
Social Care Rockstar
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are Welcome
Journeyman

Yes my Galaxy S7 phone will not text on airplane wifi or any wifi without having "wifi calling" on.

Is it supported on the S8 or S9 possibly?  Or does the Sprint network not support text over wifi?

Thanks

Wizard

For Android devices, Wi-Fi Calling must be enabled to send text.  You can see info about it here, https://sprint.co/2RlIaqj. Just click Can I send text messages over Wi-Fi?

Penguin
Social Care Rockstar
Journeyman

I have read that it's a very generic answer.

Does anyone use a Galaxy S8 or S9 that uses any kind of messaging app on WIFI only that can send text messages? (Not what's app, viber)

Thanks 

Wizard

When I check the S8 and S9 they show it will have to be with Wi-Fi Calling on as well.

Penguin
Social Care Rockstar
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat