cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Send or Receive MMS over WiFi after Android 10 update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Unable to Send or Receive MMS over WiFi after Android 10 update.

So here's the latest bug I am experiencing after my SG9 was upgraded to Android 10 OS. 

With this new OS, Calling Plus/WiFi calling was replaced by WiFi calling and voLTE.  All seemed to go smoothly with the upgrade until I noticed I am unable to send or receive MMS when connected to WiFi calling.  I get a "Data tethering connection" error notice.  I am using the native Samsung messaging app and I am able to send and receive all types of messages, SMS and MMS when I am using the 'Chat Messaging" feature,  However, when it defaults to regular messaging, I can send and receive just regular SMS texts and not MMS texts.  This only happens when I am connected to the WiFi calling feature and have NO mobile service.  It is only when I have a cellular signal my MMS messages go through.

I have gone thru all my settings and I have yet to come up with a solution.  Is there any knowledgeable super user that can help me?  My work area is such that it gets no cellular signal at all and I can only send or receive messages via WiFi.  Remember, this only started AFTER the upgrade to Android 10 and worked just fine with 9. 

206 REPLIES 206
Highlighted

Sprint has written us off, there is no fix or one coming. It used to work under wifi-calling but since the switch to VOLTE, you have to have active cell coverage to send and receive MMS.  

Highlighted

Yes it is, however the issue is THAT IT DIDN'T USED TO BE. Your implementation of VO-LTE broke it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

And thanks, Journeyman.  Probably will have to leave.  They also raised all my rates....wondeful!

Highlighted
Journeyman

And my cell coverage is fine

Highlighted

Whatever we can do let us know! We would really hate to see you go! 

Highlighted
Community Manager

I wish VoLTE was the issue because that would be an easier fix, but this has been an issue for the Note 8, Note 9, S8, and S9 since November 2019.  The issue is under investigation.  Essentially, the devices are supposed to drop back to mobile to authenticate who you are and send/receive the MMS.  We are telling Samsung to make the protocol the same as you have post 9 series.  They say they have, yet only those 4 devices are affected. Before the 8 series and after the 9 series, one can send MMS over wifi.  The fight continues.

Highlighted

Wrong, my S10 and S20 AND iphone 10 & 11 ALL do the same thing, 

Highlighted

i needed a good laugh today...and THIS...this gave me that laugh..thank you

you should probably ask him why he believes the problem is what he said and what exactly his background is with Sprint aside from being the site manager

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

LOL...Wrong is such a strong word.  I will be sure to tell Samsung.  If you are having that issue on 4 different phones at the same location on the same wifi, the only thing I can immediately think of is the cell service is non-existent for the phone to drop down too to send/receive MMS.  I just tried only all those models from our phone room and they all were able to send MMS to each other while on wifi.

PM me your problem address and one of the phone numbers and I will check.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the same issue on my brand new Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra

Highlighted

PM me your phone number and address. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just got new updates from Samsung......most have helped.  Will try and text.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat