cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Send or Receive MMS over WiFi after Android 10 update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Unable to Send or Receive MMS over WiFi after Android 10 update.

So here's the latest bug I am experiencing after my SG9 was upgraded to Android 10 OS. 

With this new OS, Calling Plus/WiFi calling was replaced by WiFi calling and voLTE.  All seemed to go smoothly with the upgrade until I noticed I am unable to send or receive MMS when connected to WiFi calling.  I get a "Data tethering connection" error notice.  I am using the native Samsung messaging app and I am able to send and receive all types of messages, SMS and MMS when I am using the 'Chat Messaging" feature,  However, when it defaults to regular messaging, I can send and receive just regular SMS texts and not MMS texts.  This only happens when I am connected to the WiFi calling feature and have NO mobile service.  It is only when I have a cellular signal my MMS messages go through.

I have gone thru all my settings and I have yet to come up with a solution.  Is there any knowledgeable super user that can help me?  My work area is such that it gets no cellular signal at all and I can only send or receive messages via WiFi.  Remember, this only started AFTER the upgrade to Android 10 and worked just fine with 9. 

171 REPLIES 171
Highlighted

no worries brotha..just doin what i do in here.. for the most part it helps yall...and helps me with curing my boredom when i have spare time lol

plus im kind of a troubleshooting machine..industrial mechanic so if its broken i get to figure out why and how with little info from the customer themselves.. i use the same logic i use for my work... the A, B, Cs of troubleshooting

@SprintUser_Bob wrote:

@fireguy_6364 I appreciate yours and everyone else's response regarding location and fixing the ongoing problem with sending MMS over wifi.  Let's hope the problems get fixed soon. 

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

In order to use a repeater you have to have a tower signal in the first place to boost, since we have no tower signal the booster is not an option. The booster is also limited, as in if I go to a friend's house I'm down again.  

Highlighted

Something which may help, a friend of mine has a t-mobile phone and has full service (apparently via towers) almost everywhere he goes in the area. At least this was true pre-merger. The t-mobile coverage map is shaded red for "partner coverage" talk, test and non-lte data  

Highlighted

Partly true, but not 100%.  It depends on the distance of the tower for a Magic Box.  Airaves a little different depending on the model.

@ts4673 wrote:

In order to use a repeater you have to have a tower signal in the first place to boost, since we have no tower signal the booster is not an option. The booster is also limited, as in if I go to a friend's house I'm down again.  

Highlighted

and correct on this part...it isnt a mobile unit that travels with you..it would be set up at your primary location that you have the most problems with as in your home..

@Em_Will_I_Am wrote:

Partly true, but not 100%.  It depends on the distance of the tower for a Magic Box.  Airaves a little different depending on the model.

@ts4673 wrote:

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

@Em_Will_I_Am @fireguy_6364 @ts4673 @socs0728 Hi all. I just wanted to let everyone know I received an OTA update to my software on my Samsung SG9 today. I was hoping this update would take care of the MMS issue, but unfortunately it did not. I guess it was mainly for security update purposes. Hoping and wishful thinking on my part.  Guess we will need to wait a bit longer. 

Highlighted

Yeah, just Android Security Patch.  Sending MMS without a Sprint signal will not be addressed because it's a form of authentication.  The only thing that is being investigated is the phone connected to wifi and not dropping down to mobile to authenticate.

@SprintUser_Bob wrote:

@Em_Will_I_Am @fireguy_6364 @ts4673 @socs0728 Hi all. I just wanted to let everyone know I received an OTA update to my software on my Samsung SG9 today. I was hoping this update would take care of the MMS issue, but unfortunately it did not. I guess it was mainly for security update purposes. Hoping and wishful thinking on my part.  Guess we will need to wait a bit longer. 

Highlighted

Hey Sprint, if you are reading this, how about providing us an UPDATE.

Something like this would do:

Yes we are aware of the issue

Yes we acknowledge that it is an issue 

Yes the issue you are having is: _________________________ (insert detailed description here)

Yes we are actively working on a fix

We anticipate having a fix available _____________________ (insert date here)

Please do not apologize or feel my pain

Highlighted

you mean like what was posted right above your post?

if you are in high hopes of them following your guideline on how you want it typed out you can hold your breath until this happens...but i wouldnt recommend it

@ts4673 wrote:

Hey Sprint, if you are reading this, how about providing us an UPDATE.

Something like this would do:

Yes we are aware of the issue

Yes we acknowledge that it is an issue 

Yes the issue you are having is: _________________________ (insert detailed description here)

Yes we are actively working on a fix

We anticipate having a fix available _____________________ (insert date here)

Please do not apologize or feel my pain

Highlighted

This does not work for places where the signal doesn't reach.  I have a small ranch outside of town and there is now service there.  I need wifi calling to work, which it doesn't for some reason.  I just got the casa pebble, which hooks into my internet and that has now allowed texting and mms to work.  I see to technical reason that mms won't authenticate over wifi, when that's essentially what is happening with the Casa Pebble, it's sending out over my internet connection

Highlighted

Not really, the Pebble is using your internet as backhaul.  Just like every cell phone tower out there uses the internet as backhaul.  The Pebble is a mini-tower using your internet as backhaul.  Is still broadcasts a Sprint signal which your phone sees as any other tower and connects.

@socs0728 wrote:

This does not work for places where the signal doesn't reach.  I have a small ranch outside of town and there is now service there.  I need wifi calling to work, which it doesn't for some reason.  I just got the casa pebble, which hooks into my internet and that has now allowed texting and mms to work.  I see to technical reason that mms won't authenticate over wifi, when that's essentially what is happening with the Casa Pebble, it's sending out over my internet connection

Highlighted

I read through most of this thread and am in the same boat. I live in an area with limit cell reception and have used WiFi calling for over a year. After the update all went to he!!.

Did you ever get a resolution to this issue? 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat