cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Send or Receive MMS over WiFi after Android 10 update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Unable to Send or Receive MMS over WiFi after Android 10 update.

Hi, I don't recall all of the steps which is why I did not post. Did not want to miss a step and cause anyone more problems than they already have. I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus. I will see if Sprint emailed me a transcript of the chat session. If I have that, then I will post. I guess that my point was that there are Sprint employees who are aware of the problem and they have a solution, at least in my case. Not sure why there seems to be so much inconsistencies with the Sprint CS solutions/response. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

@bernajosep17086 If you do have the transcript of steps and can post it, that would be great. And I do understand your hesitancy to post without being 100%. 

I am just curious if you had the same problem that I did. Were you able to send an MMS using Wi-Fi calling before this problem and since the update to Android 10 unable to send now?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, I think that it is the same or a very similar issue. Prior to the latest update, probably 2 to 4 weeks ago I was able to send and recieve MMS messages while on the phone as long as I was connected to Wi-Fi. Since after the update, that broke. I was no longer able to receive or send MMS while on the phone. I got a different error message, but same symptoms. Sorry that I don't clearly remember the error message. Also, I did check for the transcript and did not find any email transcript from Sprint. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

@bernajosep17086  thanks for trying. I was told Sprint is aware of the problem and an update is coming soon.  Not soon enough for me. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I do wish that I had written down all of the steps they had me perform. I do recall chatting with the Sprint CS Rep Christina B. She was awesome. Not sure why all of the CS Reps are not aware of the steps to resolve this. Maybe it doesn't work for all of the different types of phone devices that were affected. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi, I just upgraded my phone and I am encountering this issue now. I am unable to send MMS while I am connected to WiFi. Did anyone ever find a solution to this issue? I am currently using a Samsung Galaxy S10 Lite (unlocked model) on the Sprint Network. Thank you.

Highlighted
Journeyman

From my experience,  I have to turn off my WiFi and send as mms through cell service. Hope this helps. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree!! Always a problem for me. And every time I use Android, I encounter this issue.
Highlighted
Journeyman

@Missy2121 , I have been having to turn off WiFi everytime I receive or send an MMS, which is extremely annoying. So after spending several hours I think I found a solution that worked for me and I wanted to share it with you. It seems that MMS can only be received or sent while on cellular data. Everytime I'm connected to WiFi, my cellular data gets turned off, therefore not allowing me receive or send MMS until I disconnect from WiFi. The solution I found is that if you enable the developer settings, there is a function that allows you to keep the cellular data on while WiFi is on. This feature was off on my phone but once I turned it on, it solved my issue.

To turn the function on:

1. Navigate to 'About Phone' under your settings and then select software information

2. There should be something called 'Builder Number'. If you tap on the number 7 times it will enable the developer settings.

3. Once developer settings are enabled navigate back to the your list of setting and scroll until you get to the developer settings

4. Enable the "Mobile data always active" feature and you're all set. 

Disclaimer: I have an unlimited data plan so I am okay with having mobile data on all the time. However, when Wifi is on it still uses the WiFi data over cellular data except when an MMS is sent or received.

Hope this helps you or anyone who is having this issue.

Screenshot_20200515-233027_Settings.jpg

Highlighted
Journeyman

@j2011c Thank you for that fix though I am not sure that fix is going to work for me. However, I will apply the fix but I will have to wait till Monday to see if it works. I work in a hospital where the cellular signal is very poor or non-existent in certain areas. When I am in these areas, I have Wi-Fi and have my Wi-Fi calling turned on. Apps that require Wi-Fi have no problem doing their thing, but the native Samsung messaging app for some reason will not utilize the Wi-Fi calling to send MMS's when it did before the last update. Messaging apps like WhatsApp have no problem sending MMS's wherever I am in the hospital, but when I use the native Samsung messaging app, which is my preference, I have problems when I need to send group messaging or an MMS. I am not sure your fixed will work for my problem but it's definitely worth a try.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@SprintUser_Bob, I could see where this might not work in your situation given that you have poor cellular signal within the hospital. Nonetheless, it will still be interesting to know if you find any improvements when you go back to work on Monday with this setting enabled.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@j2011c I will definitely let you know. 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat