cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Send or Receive MMS over WiFi after Android 10 update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Unable to Send or Receive MMS over WiFi after Android 10 update.

So here's the latest bug I am experiencing after my SG9 was upgraded to Android 10 OS. 

With this new OS, Calling Plus/WiFi calling was replaced by WiFi calling and voLTE.  All seemed to go smoothly with the upgrade until I noticed I am unable to send or receive MMS when connected to WiFi calling.  I get a "Data tethering connection" error notice.  I am using the native Samsung messaging app and I am able to send and receive all types of messages, SMS and MMS when I am using the 'Chat Messaging" feature,  However, when it defaults to regular messaging, I can send and receive just regular SMS texts and not MMS texts.  This only happens when I am connected to the WiFi calling feature and have NO mobile service.  It is only when I have a cellular signal my MMS messages go through.

I have gone thru all my settings and I have yet to come up with a solution.  Is there any knowledgeable super user that can help me?  My work area is such that it gets no cellular signal at all and I can only send or receive messages via WiFi.  Remember, this only started AFTER the upgrade to Android 10 and worked just fine with 9. 

171 REPLIES 171
Highlighted

its almost like it needs mobile data to be checked off or there as well to authenticate something in order for it to work with WFC

actually i still have the FAQs bookmarked for WFC.. it mentions Android Messages however i rarely if ever have any issues sending/receiving group texts when i have zip for signal and running WFC.

i did however remember that there was a hink with iphones and WFC and some different limitations or differences between them and Android devices though..

Android phones: SMS (text) is supported in Wi-Fi Calling mode. MMS (pictures and group texts) is supported on select devices in Wi-Fi Calling mode. Depending on the device manufacturer and messaging client, cellular coverage is required for MMS. For example, devices with the Android Messages client requires cellular coverage for MMS.

iOS phones: SMS (text) is supported in Wi-Fi Calling mode. MMS (pictures and group texts) requires cellular coverage. Apple's iMessage to other iOS devices is supported over Wi-Fi.

@SprintUser_Bob wrote:
  • @fireguy_6364   I also have Google messages (I thought it was Android) and having the same issue with that app. So as you suspect, it must be something with the way Samsung is handling WiFi calling in regards to the messaging apps. So without a cellular signal we are up **bleep**s Creek without a paddle. 

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

Well it used to work, last year on a galaxy S9 with droid 9 and calling plus (now replaced with S20 and voLTE) The iphone didn't work last year either for MMS, assumed the issues were related. There is no reason for these things not to work. 

Highlighted

@fireguy_6364. I agree with you 💯%. This all started with the upgrade to Android 10 when the old WiFi calling plus was upgrades to WiFi calling with VoLTE. Someone needs to go through the software and find the bug. 

Highlighted

@ts4673 I'm still using my S9.  If it was compatible with Wifi calling before the downgrade to Android 10, it still should be compatible now.  I am a front line healthcare worker and I have NO cellular signal where I am stationed. I need this to work so I can keep in touch with my group with group texts. Somebody at Sprint needs to get this fixed. 

Highlighted

I have tried both the native app on Pixel (Google Messages) and three third-party apps -- all had the same issue with MMS over wifi.  I found one app that allow MMS to be sent via upload to a server and then the receiver  would have to download -- that would have been an acceptable work around except that after sending three images that way, the app requires you to upgrade to its $9.99 a month service 😡

I have an open ticket on this issue with Sprint, but I am not sure that it is a carrier issue so much as a OS issue -- I have found threads that suggest that when the upgrade to 10 occurred, there was some limitation on packet size for wifi transfers -- however, I cannot see why that would effect only MMS and not other data intensive apps 🤔 

I used to know a lot about this stuff years ago -- but I made a career switch and haven't kept up (and while I might have made more had I stuck with data system management, I am much happier in my current position). 

Highlighted

@JSKoehler @ts4673 @fireguy_6364 @kakashi @Raticle111 

For what's it's worth, this is the message I get when I try and send MMS's and not have a cellular signal. 

Resized_20200311_122609.jpeg

Highlighted

I had put the following in another thread with @JSKoehler :

If we are talking strictly MMS, yes a cellular signal is needed to send/receive even while connected to wifi.  For example, you send out an MMS while on WIFI, the phone drops to cellular to authenticate who you are and to ensure your pics go to the right person.  It's transparent to you because it happens behind the scenes rather quickly.  The same goes for receiving.  You are on wifi, an incoming pic comes in, your phone drops to mobile, authenticates on our picture mail server to make sure you are the intended recipient of the pic, and then downloads.

If you are in an area with no Sprint signal or if you have mobile data turned off, you will not receive MMS or group texts, which are all MMS.  Now there are exceptions such as if you are using RCS, then that is all data and is not authenticated via MMS servers.  Instead the auth is done via Google servers.

Highlighted

that right there probably answers why im not running into issues like others are while in areas with less than stellar mobile data on my phone..

@Em_Will_I_Am wrote:

I had put the following in another thread with @JSKoehler :

If you are in an area with no Sprint signal or if you have mobile data turned off, you will not receive MMS or group texts, which are all MMS.  Now there are exceptions such as if you are using RCS, then that is all data and is not authenticated via MMS servers.  Instead the auth is done via Google servers.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

@Em_Will_I_Am so what changed??  Before Android 10, no problem sending or receiving MMS using the native apps.  Of course, I didn't and still don't have a problem using RCS, but that process is very limited to only those who also use Sprint and that service.  So my question is.....WILL THERE BE A FIX TO THIS PROBLEM?  As far as I'm concerned,  this is total bull**bleep** if it can't be fixed.  My job and people's lives depends on me being able to get MMS's over WiFi Calling. 

Highlighted

For the most part, nothing.  Auth has always taken place over mobile.  So, all phones should fallback.  There are 4 exceptions: S8, S9, Note 8, and Note 9.  We have an open ticket with Samsung to correct that to behave like the predecessors and successors.  As far as any other models, they are able to do that.  I know one of the LGs did not fallback and we got that corrected.  Other folks that have made that complaint, were in bad coverage. 

FYI, RCS is not only limited to Sprint.  Anyone who installs Android Messages and turns it on has it. 

@SprintUser_Bob wrote:

@Em_Will_I_Am so what changed??  Before Android 10, no problem sending or receiving MMS using the native apps.  Of course, I didn't and still don't have a problem using RCS, but that process is very limited to only those who also use Sprint and that service.  So my question is.....WILL THERE BE A FIX TO THIS PROBLEM?  As far as I'm concerned,  this is total bull**bleep** if it can't be fixed.  My job and people's lives depends on me being able to get MMS's over WiFi Calling. 

Highlighted

@Em_Will_I_Am at least I have an answer as to why and I appreciate knowledge. Do you have a time frame for this fix?  Regarding  RCS, I guess there are not a lot of people using Android messaging. Please keep us advised. 

Highlighted

whatever they are fixing or at some point fixing on Samsungs side wont matter which texting app you are using... in your case the problem lies in what Will posted above..specifically with your S9 being on that list of mentioned problem devices of theirs.

once its all said and done you can continue to run Google messages or flip back to the stock Samsung app itself.

android messages gets tossed onto any phone that isnt running a stock manufacturer specific texting app..basically Samsung and Apple run their own..the rest dont really bother lol

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat