cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Send or Receive MMS over WiFi after Android 10 update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Unable to Send or Receive MMS over WiFi after Android 10 update.

So here's the latest bug I am experiencing after my SG9 was upgraded to Android 10 OS. 

With this new OS, Calling Plus/WiFi calling was replaced by WiFi calling and voLTE.  All seemed to go smoothly with the upgrade until I noticed I am unable to send or receive MMS when connected to WiFi calling.  I get a "Data tethering connection" error notice.  I am using the native Samsung messaging app and I am able to send and receive all types of messages, SMS and MMS when I am using the 'Chat Messaging" feature,  However, when it defaults to regular messaging, I can send and receive just regular SMS texts and not MMS texts.  This only happens when I am connected to the WiFi calling feature and have NO mobile service.  It is only when I have a cellular signal my MMS messages go through.

I have gone thru all my settings and I have yet to come up with a solution.  Is there any knowledgeable super user that can help me?  My work area is such that it gets no cellular signal at all and I can only send or receive messages via WiFi.  Remember, this only started AFTER the upgrade to Android 10 and worked just fine with 9. 

171 REPLIES 171
Highlighted

I peek behind the curtain.  Sammy is saying this is happening due to a spec request made by Sprint.  Sprint is saying why would we make such a request and if that is the case, then why the phone before the 8's and after the 9's behave as regularly?  So, it's somewhat of a fight, but a fight nonetheless.  Namely, my mom has the S9 and I hear about it ALL the time.  That's an added incentive to be a nag to Sammy.

@SprintUser_Bob wrote:

@Em_Will_I_Am at least I have an answer as to why and I appreciate knowledge. Do you have a time frame for this fix?  Regarding  RCS, I guess there are not a lot of people using Android messaging. Please keep us advised. 

Highlighted

@Em_Will_I_Am You keep nagging them!!  I right there with your mom!!

Highlighted

Yea, this is basically false. Until this latest upgrade MMS with no mobile data ALWAYS worked for me via wifi calling. So it has to be something that has changed 

Highlighted

The MMS sending error over wifi happens on iphones as well. It's basically exactly the same issue, if you have no sprint mobile data service, you can send SMS, you can send imessages, but as soon as you put someone in the text group who doesn't have an iphone, which forces the message to be sent via MMS it fails. If any if you have an iphone try it, you'll see.  

Highlighted

This is rediculous, I just switched from Verizon today and now have this issue.  I have no cell service at my house, but on Verizon I was able to send/receive sms and mms over my wifi via their messages+ app. If this doesn't get fixed, I will have to switch back.

Highlighted

Hey. Do you have issues with making and receiving calls as well or get any specific error message/code? 

Highlighted

no issues making or receiving calls, no issues with SMS no issues with wifi data. It only affects MMS on BOTH android and apple phones 

Highlighted

Okay. What model phones do you have? Did you ensure that MMS is set to be ON and contacts are stored with 10 digits phone number?

Highlighted

Samsung 9, 10 and 20 Iphone X, 11 and 12. IT IS NOT A PHONE NUMBER ISSUE and MMS IS ON. Haven't you been reading the people on this board? Sprint need to address and FIX the **bleep** issue already. 

Highlighted

I understand and we need to follow some basic troubleshooting to get it fix. Can you send me your nearest cross streets and ZIP code in a private message. 

Highlighted

@Sprint_Ayana @ts4673 @Em_Will_I_Am OMG!!!  I don't understand why your response always is, send me your zip code and cross street. Location has NOTHING to do with this as the problem lies within the those phones itself. It doesn't matter if I'm home, at work or somewhere in between. Unless you have a DECENT cellular signal, you will not be able to send any type of MMS text if you just have a WiFi signal. As was said so many times in the past, this was NEVER an issue before the **bleep** upgrade. 

Highlighted

because the other poster also included a couple iphones in the mix..

@SprintUser_Bob wrote:

@Sprint_Ayana @ts4673 @Em_Will_I_Am OMG!!!  I don't understand why your response always is, send me your zip code and cross street. Location has NOTHING to do with this as the problem lies within the those phones itself. It doesn't matter if I'm home, at work or somewhere in between. Unless you have a DECENT cellular signal, you will not be able to send any type of MMS text if you just have a WiFi signal. As was said so many times in the past, this was NEVER an issue before the **bleep** upgrade. 

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat