cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Send or Receive MMS over WiFi after Android 10 update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Unable to Send or Receive MMS over WiFi after Android 10 update.

So here's the latest bug I am experiencing after my SG9 was upgraded to Android 10 OS. 

With this new OS, Calling Plus/WiFi calling was replaced by WiFi calling and voLTE.  All seemed to go smoothly with the upgrade until I noticed I am unable to send or receive MMS when connected to WiFi calling.  I get a "Data tethering connection" error notice.  I am using the native Samsung messaging app and I am able to send and receive all types of messages, SMS and MMS when I am using the 'Chat Messaging" feature,  However, when it defaults to regular messaging, I can send and receive just regular SMS texts and not MMS texts.  This only happens when I am connected to the WiFi calling feature and have NO mobile service.  It is only when I have a cellular signal my MMS messages go through.

I have gone thru all my settings and I have yet to come up with a solution.  Is there any knowledgeable super user that can help me?  My work area is such that it gets no cellular signal at all and I can only send or receive messages via WiFi.  Remember, this only started AFTER the upgrade to Android 10 and worked just fine with 9. 

171 REPLIES 171
Highlighted

You're right @fireguy_6364 . Since a couple different make and models are being affected, we need to cross out all the odds. At the same time, it's clearly understood what's being experienced when connect to WiFi and we're also looking into that. 

Highlighted

@fireguy_6364 yes, I read his post and he did include different types of phones including iPhones. But I fail to see why someone from Sprint needs to know the person's location and a cross street. This was the same response I got about this problem and another concern of my about my VoLTE disappearing at my house. I am just tired of hearing the same thing over and over again without a proper solution. 

Highlighted

It's a proper question.  iPhones per MMS over IP, so if MMS are not coming through, then you have to check data coverage or outages.  Like step number 3 in our troubleshooting steps.  Simply put, the agents are doing their job.

Highlighted

The reason is: (and I have gone through this already with 3 Sprint techs) they want to make sure there are no sprint towers in the area because if you have mobile data available MMS works. I will send you my address as requested but On that I assure you there is NO SPRINT SERVICE AVAILABLE IN MY AREA. 

Highlighted

Your address can also be used for qualification of in-building repeater devices.

@ts4673 wrote:

The reason is: (and I have gone through this already with 3 Sprint techs) they want to make sure there are no sprint towers in the area because if you have mobile data available MMS works. I will send you my address as requested but On that I assure you there is NO SPRINT SERVICE AVAILABLE IN MY AREA. 

Highlighted

You're right and we've responded to you privately. Thanks. 

Highlighted

sorry..should have put a bit more into my post..

their issue with the Sammys more than likely are the same you are running into...however since they added in a few other non Sammy phones their issue is going to more than likely be both a Sammy issue as well as a network one..cant try to fix one issue without making sure something else isnt causing it.

VoLTE comes from the towers..so they have to start at the most obvious spot before expanding out from there troubleshooting.

@SprintUser_Bob wrote:

@fireguy_6364 yes, I read his post and he did include different types of phones including iPhones. But I fail to see why someone from Sprint needs to know the person's location and a cross street. This was the same response I got about this problem and another concern of my about my VoLTE disappearing at my house. I am just tired of hearing the same thing over and over again without a proper solution. 

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

@Em_Will_I_Am is a Sprint Magicbox considered an in-building repeater device?  Could that be the reason why I no longer get VoLTE service at my house?  

Highlighted

Yes, Magic Box is one.  Then we have Airaves, Voice Pro, and Casa Pebble.  They all serve a specific purpose and some have some restrictions.  Real quick...Magic Box is for data only.  Airaves are dependant on the version, some do voice and some do both voice and data.  Voice Pro, is voice only, it's in the name!  Finally, Casa Pebble does voice and data.  

Personally, my professional opinion, you try to go for the Casa Pebble because it does voice and data and it future ready meaning it will work with the combined T-Mo/Sprint new network.  The second choice is Magic Box with a wifi backhaul.

There are some vetting involved such as how near you are to a Sprint tower, high-speed internet, if you are using 1900MHz vs 2500MHz, and which problem you are trying to solve.

@SprintUser_Bob wrote:

@Em_Will_I_Am is a Sprint Magicbox considered an in-building repeater device?  Could that be the reason why I no longer get VoLTE service at my house?  

Highlighted

@Em_Will_I_Am Yikes!!  Half of what you wrote went straight over my head.  Sprint sent me a Magic Box a couple of years ago to increase the signal in my home since the existing signal was spotty. Having the Magic Box definitely increased my in home signal to full bars. I had a VoLTE signal in my home until the the other day. The only thing that changed was an upgrade to my Magic Box, suggested by Sprint because of the Tmobile merger, which I did a couple of days ago.  Since then, I no longer get a VoLTE signal in my home. 

I am just looking for answers to why this is happening. 

Highlighted

@fireguy_6364 I appreciate yours and everyone else's response regarding location and fixing the ongoing problem with sending MMS over wifi.  Let's hope the problems get fixed soon. 

Highlighted

PM me your phone number let's have a look behind the scenes.

I'm assuming the update you are referring to is using your wifi as the backhaul for your Magic Box.  That alone should not kill VoLTE, but we can see. 

@SprintUser_Bob wrote:

@Em_Will_I_Am Yikes!!  Half of what you wrote went straight over my head.  Sprint sent me a Magic Box a couple of years ago to increase the signal in my home since the existing signal was spotty. Having the Magic Box definitely increased my in home signal to full bars. I had a VoLTE signal in my home until the the other day. The only thing that changed was an upgrade to my Magic Box, suggested by Sprint because of the Tmobile merger, which I did a couple of days ago.  Since then, I no longer get a VoLTE signal in my home. 

I am just looking for answers to why this is happening. 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat