cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocked At&t S10+ not compatible to Sprint?

Community Manager

Re: Unlocked At&t S10+ not compatible to Sprint?

I'm sorry to hear that, but if they made the phones for all carriers, then there would be no need for "Special Edition".

@kcsoccer wrote:

Hey @Em_Will_I_Am thanks for your info! If that's the case then I'll leave Sprint. I don't get why they cannot add the device into their system when it is paid off, unlocked, and comes back clean. They made the phones to be compatible for all carriers,

Journeyman

Isn't the SE version only difference is the firmware?

@Em_Will_I_Am wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that, but if they made the phones for all carriers, then there would be no need for "Special Edition".

@kcsoccer wrote:

Hey @Em_Will_I_Am thanks for your info! If that's the case then I'll leave Sprint. I don't get why they cannot add the device into their system when it is paid off, unlocked, and comes back clean. They made the phones to be compatible for all carriers,

Community Manager

Depends.  Of course, the SE's don't have any carrier load on it.  I don't know the particulars on the S10 just yet, I have not done any research, but on Note 8 there is a GSM non-CDMA version.  Got a dude on Boost giving me the blues because he bought a GSM unlocked one off eBay.  Then you have the S8's and S9's that do not have to be SE.  I'm sure Samsung has a reason for SE'ing some devices and not others.  I would guess some sort of contract negotiations between them and carriers, but not sure.  I've seen that with T-Mo and the Nexus 5.  It's an unlocked device for everyone EXCEPT the T-Mo version.  Also on some iPhones.

@kcsoccer wrote:

@Em_Will_I_Am wrote:

@kcsoccer wrote:

Journeyman

@Em_Will_I_Am wrote:

Depends.  Of course, the SE's don't have any carrier load on it.  I don't know the particulars on the S10 just yet, I have not done any research, but on Note 8 there is a GSM non-CDMA version.  Got a dude on Boost giving me the blues because he bought a GSM unlocked one off eBay.  Then you have the S8's and S9's that do not have to be SE.  I'm sure Samsung has a reason for SE'ing some devices and not others.  I would guess some sort of contract negotiations between them and carriers, but not sure.  I've seen that with T-Mo and the Nexus 5.  It's an unlocked device for everyone EXCEPT the T-Mo version.  Also on some iPhones.

@kcsoccer wrote:

@Em_Will_I_Am wrote:

@kcsoccer wrote:

Ok, this kind of helps me understand. I don't get quite why Samsung (and other OEM's) and carriers would make it that difficult to use their products and services like that on newer phones where GSM and CDMA are soon to be obsolete. And how one model can switch but the next model can't. Very confusing! I know the S10 is new and not a lot of info about it is out right now, especially for like a situation I'm trying to figure out now. Like you said, maybe there is some kind of agreement that no ones knows about yet? Hopefully, more info will come out soon. Thanks for the info!

Journeyman

Confirmed:

Samsung does not make special hardware for any carriers on the S10 line. It's all the same. SE version difference is only the firmware. Sprint just won't add it to their database for activation unless it is carrier version or the unlocked version from Samsung.

Community Manager

LOL, we cannot add it to our database.  I thought I said that earlier.  Only ESNs that are added are the ones we receive from the OEM. 

@kcsoccer wrote:

Confirmed:

Samsung does not make special hardware for any carriers on the S10 line. It's all the same. SE version difference is only the firmware. Sprint just won't add it to their database for activation unless it is carrier version or the unlocked version from Samsung.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah I got that buddy! I'm saying that there is no difference on any S10 devices for any carriers as far as hardware goes. Only difference is carrier firmware. You couldn't confirm that.

@Em_Will_I_Am wrote:

LOL, we cannot add it to our database.  I thought I said that earlier.  Only ESNs that are added are the ones we receive from the OEM. 

@kcsoccer wrote:

Confirmed:

Journeyman

Soo originally a little birdy told me the original plan was within 6 months release the carrier agnostic software, which enables the automatic support of domestic unlocked devices moving between carriers. IE it addresses the FW.

That said it's rumored to be delayed now because well... ya things aren't going very well lol with the launched devices.

The S10 5G has issues, the S10/S10+ does and the fold. Sammy is having a rough patch again it would seem.

Anyway If the original plan was within 6 months and true I'd say MAYBE by by last qtr or early next year.

Historically I think they did it around the year mark. The plan was to improve on that but yea...

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat