cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocked Note 8 from samsung work on sprint ?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Unlocked Note 8 from samsung work on sprint ?

I was wondering if sprint would activate the unlocked note 8 that i get from samsung ? I travel alot and from previous experience with the note 5 sprint locked phone . It was missing some 4g lte bands which I was not able to use 4g lte overseas. 3g was not usable at all. 

I wouldn't mind missing out on those sprint specific update and rather be able to have 4g lte with the same phone everywhere i go. 

I tried to call sprint customer service but the person that I spoke to wasn't sure and kept asking me the imei number. I know that sprint have the "SIM KIT" for people who bring their phone and switch to sprint.  I was hoping to confirm that before I get that from samsung.

382 REPLIES 382
Highlighted

@nemembêtezpas. Yes, I actually watched the unpacked event and it's pretty interesting with all the partnerships with Netflix and Google. Netflix to fight for streaming and google to fight the OS.

The S20 ultra is action-packed. And I am so excited about 108mp picture and the 100x space zoom although I am not sure how usable to pictures are. 

I think I am going to wait out the Sprint and T-mobile merger situation! Still not sure which 5g wave band they are going to go with. Since only s20 ultra supports the millimeter waves others only support sub 6. But don't think that would affect much cuz if anything I will only choose the ultra. But just want to make sure there isn't any funny business with compatibility like someone we all went through.  

I am still rocking the note 9 since Note 10 5g never came out with the sprint unlocked version which is so lame. And the Andriod 10 update with one UI 2.0 was missing the 30s long explore at 1.5f or ISO 3200 in pro mode on it. O Well. I can't wait for the Note 20 Ultra or whatever they decide to call it.

what if the note 20 ultra is more exciting tho? This is really your call! But it's going to be great. Also it seems like Samsung has a new direction with this new head of mobile department. People said that he is more aggressive compared to the last guy

Highlighted

@AirWick219 

Actually, I'm going to hold off on getting the S20. I would much rather have a Note 11, Note 20, or whatever they plan on calling the next Note. I know I would most definitely miss not having the S Pen. I need the S Pen.

I hear you about the merger, which I am not at all happy about (I really like Sprint and I am really going to miss Sprint dearly). However, I've looked into the 5G part, and the S20 Ultra as well as the S20+ have both 5G Sub-6 and 5G mmWave in them together. Therefore, they'd be compatible with all carriers. https://image-us.samsung.com/SamsungUS/samsungbusiness/pdfs/HHP-CARRIERAGNOSTIC-S20SERIESDSHT-FEB20T...   The plain S20 is the only one that just has 5G Sub-6.

I'm not sure how usable the 100x space zoom will be either. But, I'm sure it will be on the next Note as well.

Ah, so you never did get a Note 10. Even if Sprint comes out with their version of a 5G Note 10, I wouldn't get it. I need to have a factory unlocked universal 5G device just like Samsung is doing with the S20s. Since Samsung is manufacturing factory unlocked 5G S20s then it's safe to say that Samsung would manufacture factory unlocked 5G Notes as well.  I just don't like being beholden to carriers and their contracts, leases, and financing entrapments.  

Highlighted

@nemembêtezpas 

Same here. I need S Pen as well. Although it was exciting to see all the new features. 

And you are correct. I totally forgot there is also an S20 plus. That's like a base model s20 ultra, a bit smaller screen, smaller battery, no 45w charging, no space zoom. But I think just the battery alone would worth the extra $200. I can really stretch that extra 10% just turning down the resolution. I would rather be able to take that picture at the end of the night. So s20 plus doesn't make much sense to me.

And you are correct on the Note 10 as well. After waiting for this long, I wouldn't mind to just suck it up for now till the next note. And ofz the unlocked version. I don't want to deal with all those BS Sprint apps.

The merger part tho. That's interesting. You are like the only one I know who actually likes Sprint. Lol Everyone else thinks the coverage is really bad. But luckily I am in a city in the Sprint HQ and I have no coverage issue what so ever. On top of that, I have the grandfather unlimited account without any cap.

Highlighted

@AirWick219 

Hey, how've you been? Are you going to be getting the unlocked Note 20 or Note 20 Ultra? I plan on getting the unlocked Note 20 Ultra, putting in a Sprint SIM card, and activating it on Sprint. I want no part of t-mobile on my unlocked Note 20 Ultra.  

Highlighted

Hi! We'll be happy to have you with us and want you as a part of this big change! Sprint is now part of T-mobile and we're on the road maps to improvement. You'll love it! As soon as you have your device, visit sprint.com/BYOD to begin. 

Highlighted

Heads up...all Samsung S20s are steered to T-Mobile 5G even if you activate on Sprint.  I would think the Note 20 would be the same.

Highlighted

Ugh! I was afraid you were going to say t-mobile.

I'm getting the unlocked Note 20 Ultra 5G Mystic Bronze. Samsung is offering a sweet trade-in of $650, $50 instant credit and $200 credit for accessories for the Note 20 Ultra. With trade-in, the unlocked Note 20 Ultra 5G is $649.99. The 512 GB version doesn't come in Mystic Bronze it just comes in Mystic Black.

I'm so excited, I can't wait. I hope Sprint will have the IMEI in the whitelist system by the time my unlocked Note 20 Ultra 5G arrives. 

Pre-order the unlocked Note 20 Ultra 5G right now!Pre-order the unlocked Note 20 Ultra 5G right now!My unlocked Note 20 Ultra 5G pre-orderMy unlocked Note 20 Ultra 5G pre-order

Highlighted
GrandMaster

im running the V60 now and pulling in their 5G. meh..works fine for the most part but they are still making adjustments especially now that they have Sprints backhaul etc to work with..so i can see things improving.

other day i pulled in i think it was 116mbps down and 15 up on their 5G.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

@nemembêtezpas  

Just finished the unpacked event and dam FINALLY. The $550 trade-in for my note 9 is nice

I reversed the 512MB Note 20 Ultra but there is only black color in that version. I really think that they are going to release more colors down the road.

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 12.55.01 PM.png

Also a couple of months ago, there was a deal for the Sandisk 1TB Sd card and just so happened that My 128gb sd card filled up so this happened. It's nice to have all the data from ever since note 8 and not have to worry about it. But at the same time, if that goes, then It would be a pain to restore from pick up. 

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-20 at 10.29.34 PM.jpeg

As far as the 5G situation, that's nice but I will have to talk to sprint again with the plan. As far as I know, Since I have the grandfather everything unlimited plan, so I should get the 5G right away without extra BS charges. BUT the last couple reps that I talked to just gave me those business BS like if you want 5G, you are gonna have to pay more. Every time I talked to a reps it's really a guessing game and all I can hope for is they don't mess up my accounts. For the service, I heard from ppl around my area (around to Sprint HQ) saying that the Sprint 5g chokes a lot and it way faster when it drops bk down on LTE. 

@nemembêtezpas  what's your thought on the new flip? It's really tempting but I want to see some reviews and wait a bit in case there are other issues. But anyways, It's great to hear from you again. And let's get ready for our yearly battle with Sprint reps to get the unlocked phone working. It's SUCH a pain year after year and hopes this year would be better. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm pretty disappointed with the with the colors on the Note 20 in general.  The Aura colors on the 10 were so cool how they looked depending on the light.   The Note 20 colors are a step down.     Also annoys me Samsung is giving $650 for both the Note 10 and the Note 10+.  Why are they valuing those the same.  The Note10+ should at least be $700 in trade in.

Highlighted

@howie411  Yea .. The trade is value for 128GB and 512GB is the same also. But for me a note 9 trade in for 550. I think that's pretty good and even better if i have a 128GB instead of 512GB but o well. I always wondered what they are gonna do with the old phones and stuff

Highlighted

A couple of things:

There is no Sprint 5G.  It is decomm'd.  The only 5G you are going to get is T-Mobile.  So, the Note will have 5G steering and will be on T-Mobile's 5G.  So, if you are in NYC or Philly and have the T-Mobile 5G on Sprint 2.5GHz then you are flirting with a GB down.  If you are somewhere else that is on the 600Mhz 5G, then you are not flirting with a GB down.

There is no upcharge to 5G...you get a service code added to your account, that tells your device to look for T-Mobile 5G.  Ask @fireguy_6364 , he just activated a 5G device and no additional charges whatsoever.  I know because I am the one who activated it.  He can confirm once he gets his next bill.

My thoughts on SD cards.  Stay away. 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat