cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocked Note 8 from samsung work on sprint ?

Go to solution
Journeyman

Unlocked Note 8 from samsung work on sprint ?

I was wondering if sprint would activate the unlocked note 8 that i get from samsung ? I travel alot and from previous experience with the note 5 sprint locked phone . It was missing some 4g lte bands which I was not able to use 4g lte overseas. 3g was not usable at all. 

I wouldn't mind missing out on those sprint specific update and rather be able to have 4g lte with the same phone everywhere i go. 

I tried to call sprint customer service but the person that I spoke to wasn't sure and kept asking me the imei number. I know that sprint have the "SIM KIT" for people who bring their phone and switch to sprint.  I was hoping to confirm that before I get that from samsung.

340 REPLIES 340
Journeyman

Re: Unlocked Note 8 from samsung work on sprint ?

Found the answer :

"That phone will be eligible for BYOD activation on Sprint."

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the unlocked by Samsung Note 8.  I have just activated it on the 19th of September, and it's currently working just fine here on Sprint.  

Journeyman

@nemembêtezpas . Thank you so much for you response.. How did you go about activating with the BYOD process cuz I talked to sprint rep on the phone and they don't seem to know what's going on ?? Did they charge you activation fee ?? Which insurance did you end up getting, Sprint TPE+ or samsung premium care and what your thoughts about it ?? 

Journeyman

Hi AirWick219

Ok, first things first, I'm in Sprint's 1 Year Free plan, and I had to do things a little differently.  I went to my local Sprint store to get a SIM card so that I could add my unlocked Note 8 as a third line.  The Sprint store rep gave me this SIM card model SIMOLW416Q.  Then, I went home and I called Sprint (866-782-8777).  The Sprint rep asked for the IMEI of my Note 8, the number I was porting in, and the account info of my T-Mobile account.  It took about 12 minutes.  

Try this, run the IMEI of your Note 8 and see what it brings up.  https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/bring-your-own-phone.html?phone=byod 

Journeyman

@nemembêtezpas 

I have been with sprint for 5 years+ . You can probably follow this for my situation https://community.sprint.com/t5/Samsung-Note-Series/Total-Equipment-Protection-with-unlocked-note-8/...

Basically. I haven't gotten the phone yet. But I am just making sure how i go about having it activated.  

OIc .. so you are actually adding a line and not upgrade one line. Interesting .. I would imagine sprint be nicer for new line or customers.  .. Also the link that you posted just said I am not eligible.

"

Not eligible for this promotion

The 1 Year Free Unlimited promotion is only available to new customers bringing their own compatible phone and current phone number to Sprint. Call 1-866-782-8777 for details on eligibility.

"

Journeyman

Ok. Well, I see it this way.  Since my unlocked by Samsung Note 8 simply activated without any problems my guess is that when you get your unlocked Note 8 that it will activate for you as well.  

To answer your other questions, the activation fee was waived (because of the 1 Year Free promotion), I didn't request TEP+ but it was added to my Note 8.  I'm liking the phone, and depending on the time of day I'm getting speeds of 90 Mbps.  I didn't get Samsung Premium Care. 

Journeyman

@nemembêtezpas    Thank you so much . That's answers alot of my question. Glad it only took you a phone call to sort everything out.. Others have mentioned that it took them more than 3 days to have it activated. I am hoping my go smoothly as well. I can't wait to get mine soon. 

Journeyman

I forgot to mention that Wi-Fi Calling works on the unlocked Note 8.  However, I can't talk and access data at the same time.  There's no visual voicemail.  

Journeyman

I don't think i can talk and access data at the same time with my sprint note 5 right now anyways unless I am on wifi.. I think that's normal. That visual voicemail was pretty annoying that I don't really use..

How about those ad sprint app ?? did it force install once ur device was activated ? 

Journeyman

Oh my, 3 days?  Maybe they didn't have the correct SIM card?  Otherwise, I don't know.

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 10.33.02 PM.pngMy Unlocked by Samsung Note 8 on Sprint  

Journeyman

Good that it only took you 12 mins.... Interesting .. I think i have enough information to order an unlocked note 8 from samsung. 

Thank you so much. 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat