cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocked Note 8 from samsung work on sprint ?

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: Unlocked Note 8 from samsung work on sprint ?

@seawolfwrote:

Poking my head in here to say it's interesting to see that you've found a way to make this work @nemembêtezpas.  One fun thing about Communities is when members help other members accomplish something together.

That said, I do want to caution readers of the old internet adage YMMV (your mileage may vary) meaning as what's discussed here is an unsupported app and process. Sprint can't guarantee that the process will work and we can't assist if it doesn't, nor can we help troubleshoot other issues that may arise from using the app or the process.

If I run into any problems I'll post them.  For now, I'm just going to continue enjoying being able to talk/data at the same time through LTE. 

Journeyman

@seawolf

I have a question.  Could Sprint fine me for using that app and for turning on the simultaneous talk/data over LTE on my unlocked Note 8?  I have nothing to lose, I'm not in any contracts with Sprint.  

Community Manager

We're not big on fines, @nemembêtezpas, you should be ok. Honestly, you're not doing anything wrong, such as using a vast amount of data through some backdoor process, you've just modified your own device to do something we don't support in an official way. The only real concern is that if there's a negative result, we may not necessarily be about to fix it for you because you're using something we don't know anything about.

SeaWolf
Sprint Community Manager & Customer Advocate
Captain of the Vicious Cream-puff
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

Journeyman

@seawolfwrote:

We're not big on fines, @nemembêtezpas, you should be ok. Honestly, you're not doing anything wrong, such as using a vast amount of data through some backdoor process, you've just modified your own device to do something we don't support in an official way. The only real concern is that if there's a negative result, we may not necessarily be about to fix it for you because you're using something we don't know anything about.

Thank you for being honest, seawolf!  I promise if I experience any negative results stemming from the modification, I'll post it immediately.

Actually, I've learned about the modification from this xda-developers forum.  There are other Sprint customers who are posting that the modification works on their unlocked Note 8(s).  https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-8/help/voltecalling-plus-sprint-note-8-t3696341

Journeyman

What is calling plus? And yes I got to that screen enable HD voice and advanced communication where available and it's checkmarked. Now my wifi calling isn't on though and of course my wifi is turned off. I have pretty good LTE signal looks like 4 bars I never use it cause I am always on Wifi. But today I turned off wifi made a call and tried to to the internet and couldn't.  Also my wifi calling won't connect cause we just had a new house built in Sept and we our not on google maps yet and it doesn't recognize our address. Someone said calling plus is built in to Sprint but I thought with unlocked you lose some Sprint stuff I don't know much about unlocked my 1st phone. And now I want to sell it and get the 9 plus LOL!

Journeyman

@nemembêtezpaswrote:

@fireguy_6364 @Rose4uky

I am honestly getting simultaneous talk and data on my unlocked Note 8. 

There may be one more step needed to turn simultaneous talk and data on.  

On that Shortcut Master (Lite) app, search for this "com.test.LTEfunctionality.VoLTETestUI" and tap on that.  Tap on the rocket ship icon "Launch."

Screenshot_20180305-145219.jpgSearch for VoLTETestUI

If that does not work, then search for "com.test.LTEfunctionality.LTEFunctionalityTest" and tap on that, and then scroll down to "VoLTE Test UI", tap on that, and then you'll be taken to another menu where you should see "Set N/W PS voice support"; if that is "OFF" then tap it to turn it on.  

You know what, I tapped "Set N/W PS voice support" off and the simultaneous talk and data stopped working. I tapped it back on, and I have simultaneous talk and data once again.  I think that's why it's not working right now for Rose4uky.  

Screenshot_20180305-145715.jpgSearch for LTEFunctionalityTestScreenshot_20180305-145656.jpgScroll down to "VoLTE Test UI"Screenshot_20180305-145734.jpgTap on "Set N/W PS voice support"

Thanks, I did what you said the 1st line didn't work I got an error message but the 2nd string worked and my SetN/WPSvoice support was on. I turned if off and back on just to see if that would do anything and it still don't work says I'm offline. So I am guessing my phone won't do it.

Journeyman

@Rose4uky

It's possible that VoLTE is not in your area according to this forum, "must have volte in your area."  https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=74593392&postcount=48

Dang, you just got your Note 8 LOL.  Are you thinking about getting the unlocked S9 plus or Sprint's S9 plus?  I've been thinking about doing the same thing selling my Note 8 and getting the unlocked S9 plus.  And, then when the Note 9 or 10 comes out, I'll sell the S9 plus LOL.  

Journeyman

@nemembêtezpaswrote:

@Rose4uky

Oh maybe that is why VoLTE may not be in my area. But the thing is I have never been interested in the Note series loved my 7Edge but didn'twant the 8 plus wanted the Note 8 only because it was the newest and had the better camera and 6 gigs of Ram. I never use the pen and Samsung gave us 300 bucks for our 7 Edges so we own our Notes me and my husband. But I really want the9 plus cause of the AR feature where it makes the cartoon character if yourself. I played with it at BB yesterday just for a quick second and it's supposed to have a better camera and I like where the fingerprint sensor is on the 9 plud.

My husband won't let me do it probably but if I can get like 650 for my Note and the 9 plus is 836. I love the purple one. I put my phone on Craigs List and their is a place here in town called the cell phone doctor but he only wanted to give me 450 even though he said the used ones we're going ofr 6 or 650. Mine's not that old and in excellent condition. But yes I would get the unlocked 9 plus if I can get at least 600 or 650 for my Note 8. Now if the Note 8 is going to get that AR feature with the cartoon character of yourself than I'll be ok with my Note most likely. It's silly to want a phone for that one feature. LOL! But anyway thanks for trying to help me. 

It's possible that VoLTE is not in your area according to this forum, "must have volte in your area."  https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=74593392&postcount=48

Dang, you just got your Note 8 LOL.  Are you thinking about getting the unlocked S9 plus or Sprint's S9 plus?  I've been thinking about doing the same thing selling my Note 8 and getting the unlocked S9 plus.  And, then when the Note 9 or 10 comes out, I'll sell the S9 plus LOL.  

Journeyman

@Rose4ukywrote:

@nemembêtezpaswrote:

@Rose4uky

Oh maybe that is why VoLTE may not be in my area. But the thing is I have never been interested in the Note series loved my 7Edge but didn'twant the 8 plus wanted the Note 8 only because it was the newest and had the better camera and 6 gigs of Ram. I never use the pen and Samsung gave us 300 bucks for our 7 Edges so we own our Notes me and my husband. But I really want the9 plus cause of the AR feature where it makes the cartoon character if yourself. I played with it at BB yesterday just for a quick second and it's supposed to have a better camera and I like where the fingerprint sensor is on the 9 plud.

My husband won't let me do it probably but if I can get like 650 for my Note and the 9 plus is 836. I love the purple one. I put my phone on Craigs List and their is a place here in town called the cell phone doctor but he only wanted to give me 450 even though he said the used ones we're going ofr 6 or 650. Mine's not that old and in excellent condition. But yes I would get the unlocked 9 plus if I can get at least 600 or 650 for my Note 8. Now if the Note 8 is going to get that AR feature with the cartoon character of yourself than I'll be ok with my Note most likely. It's silly to want a phone for that one feature. LOL! But anyway thanks for trying to help me. 

Hi Rose4uky,

No problem, I just wish that the modification trick would work for you.  Anyway, I've read that Sprint plans to roll out VoLTE later this year. https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/sprint-expects-to-deploy-volte-fall

I'm just like you, I hardly use the S-Pen. 

Speaking of the S9 plus, is the AR feature that you're referring to called Augmented Reality?  I was just on You Tube and there's an AR app for Note 8.  It's called HOLO AR. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvr9msqLDXI  If that is what you're referring to, you can save yourself some $$$.  However, if you think you'll be happier with the S9's better camera and the new location of the fingerprint sensor, then I would tell you to go for it - get the S9 plus.  Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you'll be sticking with unlocked phones. 

Actually, I've been thinking about holding off on getting another phone until the 5G phones start coming out.  Oh, my, help me, I must be strong and not get the S9 plus!  I'll just have to keep telling myself, "You don't need the S9 plus, you have the Note 8 and that's all you need!"

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't think you can get to the VolLTE option unless your phone is rooted.  I get an error, and posted on the Shortcut Master thread on XDA and the maker of the app says, "That mean this shortcut need root permission to work. "

Journeyman

@howie411

I have NOT rooted my unlocked Note 8.  And, somehow, it's working for me. 

I have just made a call, and the simultaneous talk/data is still working for me.

Screenshot_20180306-080709.pngThis proves simultaneous talk/data is working for me

Journeyman

Have any of you activated your unlocked Note 8 on Verizon or T-Mobile? I've activated mine on both carriers (prepaid), and maybe because of that it provisioned my unlocked Note 8 for VoLTE.  I don't know.    

@howie411 Have you accessed these two screens?

Screenshot_20180305-043604.jpgTurn VoLTE on

Screenshot_20180305-145734.jpgThe last step

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat