cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocked Note 9 and the One UI with Android 9.0 Pie beta has VoLTE

Journeyman

Unlocked Note 9 and the One UI with Android 9.0 Pie beta has VoLTE

Is anybody else a beta tester with their Note 9? I'm testing the One UI with Android Pie 9.0 beta on my unlocked by Samsung Note 9. The beta has VoLTE with Sprint, but I'm a bit disappointed with it. I have to have Wi-Fi Calling on first in order for VoLTE to work. What I mean to say is that a Wi-Fi calling connection must be established first before making and receiving a call, then things will switch to VoLTE during a call when a Wi-Fi connection is lost. I'd rather have VoLTE on at all times instead of having to have Wi-Fi calling on in order for VoLTE to work.     

11 REPLIES 11
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: Unlocked Note 9 and the One UI with Android 9.0 Pie beta has VoLTE

Hey Paddington. Just to be clear, are you saying that you cannot get VoLTE to work any time when you are away from Wi-Fi?

Wi-Fi Calling is preferred, so an active VoLTE call will transition over to Wi-Fi if it detects a connection it can jump on. That would make sense if you are seeing Wi-Fi switching over to VoLTE when the Wi-Fi connectiong goes out. 

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Journeyman

Yes, that's correct. VoLTE does not work at any time when I'm away from Wi-Fi.

The call has to originate on a Wi-Fi connection first, then it'll switch to VoLTE when I lose a Wi-Fi connection.

If LTE is on while making or receiving a call, then there's no VoLTE. Even the LTE icon disappears. 

I can show what the VoLTE icon looks like.

20181223_212421.jpgVoLTE on the unlocked by Samsung Note 9 running on One UI beta

Journeyman

The Sprint Network does not support VoLTE yet. It is coming soon!

Good, Better, Best don't give up until your good is better than your best! Be the Aristocratic one and give KUDOS and push the Solution button.
Journeyman

@DrA_Sprint

Then, why is that VoLTE icon showing up? 

20181223_212421.jpgSprint and VoLTE

Journeyman

Because the device thinks the network is ready for it.

Good, Better, Best don't give up until your good is better than your best! Be the Aristocratic one and give KUDOS and push the Solution button.
Journeyman

So, out of curiosity, when will VoLTE be going live?

We've heard that it's "coming soon" for months now, and it's starting to get a bit frustrating.  The other 3 major carriers all allow you to receive texts and data while on a call, but Sprint does not.  I'd imagine to stay competitive, you'd want to dole that out ASAP.

Any semi-concrete timeline would be helpful.  Something other than "soon" if possible :-).

Thanks!

@DrA_Sprint

Journeyman

We will post something once we get it, as of now we do not know.

Journeyman

that’s just simply voice call continuity. it’s been active on iPhones since the iPhone X & is probably just an example of Sprint priming their network/devices for a full VoLTE launch next year. 

This should be resolved soon when all of Sprint’s upgrades are finished. I know this is annoying but it will get better soon!

"Is your name Wi-Fi? Because I'm feeling a connection."
Journeyman

Now the official pie has rolled out is there any update on VOLTE?

Right now VoLTE is still in test markets on limited devices. Depending on where you are at and what kind of phone you have, you could be able to test on VoLTE at the moment. The plan for the rollout of VoLTE nationwide is targeted for mid-2019.

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat