cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocked Note 9 from tmobile not recognized by Sprint

Journeyman

Unlocked Note 9 from tmobile not recognized by Sprint

I paid off my Note 9 from tmobile 3 days ago. When I check the IMEI number on the website, on the phone with a rep, or in the store they all say it will not work. When I call Samsung they tell me it will work and even when I check Verizon's BYOB site it says I can use it, which is also CDMA like Sprint. I have read information on the web stating it will work. I have been hung up on today just asking about it. At this point I almost could care less, but Sprint has way better service at my house than tmobile. I would rather not go back to ATT, and I don't want to pay a fortune for Verizon. I am hoping someone here can actually help me. 

10 REPLIES 10
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: Unlocked Note 9 from tmobile not recognized by Sprint

Hey Cdunham73! Can you send me a PM with the IMEI of that Note 9? I'd like to double check it's compatibility.  It may not have all of the same LTE Bands we use, but if it's compatible, i'll be able to get it loaded into our system so you can use it on our network.

Samsung
Galaxy Book 2
Galaxy Note 8

Galaxy Note 8 Special Edition

Galaxy Note 9 Special Edition (SPH-N960U1)<<<<<~~~~~~~

Galaxy S7 Edge Special Edition

Galaxy S7 Special Edition

Galaxy S8

Galaxy S8 Special Edition

Galaxy S8+ Special Edition

Galaxy S8+

Galaxy S9

Galaxy S9 Special Edition

Galaxy S9+

Galaxy S9+ Special Edition

Galaxy Watch

usually if they only allow in a Special Edition that means something that comes in with the other carrier specific devices conflicts with something on Sprints side.

you might also check with V about that one..usually on their side if it says "Unlocked" it means unlocked directly from the OEM since EVERY carrier can only add a device if its been unlocked from the carrier it was on previously..not much of a point pointing that part out since that must happen for all of them anyways lol.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

When I put my IMEI number in with Verizon I get 

the following

Capture.JPG

I am hoping they can find a way with Sprint since they are both CDMA. 

My model number is SM-N960U not the one you referenced. 

GrandMaster

the model number up above is for the Special Edition. the list i posted is from Sprints allowed BYOD list.

https://community.sprint.com/t5/Phone-Device-Support-Library/ANSWER-Is-My-Phone-Eligible-for-BYOD-wi...

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

When I look up my model number in this forum I see updates on it.... so I would think I could use it. If it's no, just say so and I will need to go to another carrier. 

GrandMaster

the agent is looking into it for you in case there have been any changes to what they are accepting in

i however posted the list as a reference

Journeyman

Sounds good. I am making a decision today. Sprint is my first choice. I spoke to Samsung again last night and they said that I needed to make sure that tmobile unlocked my phone and carrier and it is programmed to work on all carriers. 

I then called tmobile and they verified that both the phone and the carrier is unlocked. 

I also contacted Verizon and they are able to pull my into their network. It was weird because the post plan IMEI lookup on Verizon accepted my phone but the prepaid lookup did not. I reached out to them and they looked it up and said it works they just had to do it manually.

Again, Sprint is my first choice. Fingers crossed. 

Journeyman

disappointed, I never heard anything on this. 

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Hey I'm sorry you never heard back. Are you still interested or did you end on Verizon?

"Is your name Wi-Fi? Because I'm feeling a connection."
Journeyman

I ended up going to verizon with problems at all. I would still like to know incase i can come to Sprint.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat