cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocked sprint Samsung S8 but it does NOT have "mobile networks", "APN" to work with other carrier

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Unlocked sprint Samsung S8 but it does NOT have "mobile networks", "APN" to work with other carrier

A friend bought a Samsung S8 from sprint, used it a few months, it is unlocked, sprint stores say it, their screen computer says it and customer rep says it, it is unlocked, it can be used by any carrier, they say. SIM card from AT&T introduced but nothing happens. Factory reset has been done and for me to be able to use it with AT&T a sprint rep on the phone said AT&T has to validate or activate so that my SIM functions with that phone. The weird thing is that we need the APN to do that and it is not on this phone. We go to settings, connections and there is no "mobile networks" no APN, no "access points" which are needed to activate the phone with my SIM card from AT&T. 

Is Sprint removing those buttons so that we can never use these phones with any other carrier? This situation has been a real ordeal for my friend and I, dealing with the incompetence of sprint and att store sales people and not being able to use this phone with my AT&T SIM card.

The AT&T sales lady showed us the same samsung s8 from AT&T and it DOES have "mobile Networks", APN on their phone but it's non existing on the sprint samsung s8 that my friend wants to give me.

SOS please help, nobody understands this, what is there to do? where do you find the "mobile networks and APN" features???

6 REPLIES 6
Sprint Social Care

Re: Unlocked sprint Samsung S8 but it does NOT have "mobile networks", "APN" to work with other c...

Hello Liliana, I have confirmed that from the Samsung S8 you can add, set up, and manage virtual private networks (VPNs) that allow you to connect and access resources inside a secured local network, such as your corporate network.

Before you can initiate a VPN connection, your phone must first establish a Wi-Fi or data connection.

Add a VPN Connection

Use the VPN settings menu to add a VPN connection to your phone.

1. From home, swipe up to access Apps.
  2. Tap Settings > Connections > More connection Settings > VPN.
  3. Tap Add VPN, and then enter the information for the VPN you want to add. Information may include Name, Type, Server address, PPP encryption (MPPE), and advanced options. Set up all options according to the security details you have obtained from your network administrator.
  4. Tap Save. 1/2

Ciara
Sprint Social Care
Sprint Social Care

Re: Unlocked sprint Samsung S8 but it does NOT have "mobile networks", "APN" to work with other c...

We'd also like to let you know that an unlocked device does not necessarily work or is interoperable with another carrier's network.

Even if a different carrier activates a Sprint device on its network, Sprint does not make any guarantees as to how a Sprint device will perform on another carrier's network or that any or all device features or functions will be fully or partially operational.

In all cases, we'd like to check the status of the device in order to confirm that it has been unlocked, I have replied to your Private Message, please check your inbox. 2/2

Ciara
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Re: Unlocked sprint Samsung S8 but it does NOT have "mobile networks", "APN" to

You would need to have the device flashed to AT&T firmware likely for full support.

The firmware controls functionality.

APN's are restricted on Sprint firmware, so while the device is now unlocked it may not function on AT&T if the AT&T Sim Card is not updating the provisioning.

You can look online at sites like XDA etc. about flashing to factory AT&T firmware or even unbranded firmware (like factory unlocked). This of course wouldn't be officially supported to do by the providers since flashing phones is frowned on by them but it would make the phone like you just purchased the AT&T version. If you go this route just make sure it's factory/official firmware, NOT rooted or modified ones.

The firmware differences are why no provider will guarantee an unlocked phone working on another.

It's also possible you can get a AT&T local tech support store to flash if they are allowed to...

Journeyman

Isn't she asking about APN?
Sprint Social Care

Hey Liliana, sorry for the misunderstood. You also mentioned that you currently don't have the ''Mobile Network' option nor ''APN" in order for you to be able to use the other SIM card.

You can try these steps as a work around:

Make sure that you are in the range of a known Wi-Fi Network and follow the next steps:

1. Turn on Wi-Fi and wait for your phone to connect to it.
  2. While connected to the Wi-Fi Network, reboot the phone.
  3. As soon as the device restarts it will automatically connect to the previous Wi-Fi network.
  4. Go to APN settings and check if you are now able to view/edit.

Please keep us posted with the outcome.

Ciara
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

I appreciate so much your quick answer. I will relay answer to my friend, not sure about outcome as he was really frustrated. I don't have the phone, he kept it as it was not working for me. 

Thank you so much

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat