cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking samsung j3 from ting

Journeyman

Unlocking samsung j3 from ting

Hi there,

I had purchased a samsung j3 from Ting which I understand is both CDMA and GSM capable. I am switching MVNO and as I understand the phone is GSM locked by Sprint (I have a sprint sim card). Ting suggested I request the unlock from Sprint to be able to bring my phone to the new MVNO.

Please help.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Unlocking samsung j3 from ting

Please private message me the IMEI of the phone.

"Is your name Wi-Fi? Because I'm feeling a connection."

I looked this up and the phone is not locked to Sprint. You'll need to contact your current carrier and have it unlocked from them. 

"Is your name Wi-Fi? Because I'm feeling a connection."
Journeyman

Can we escalate this issue, as I am not sure the conclusion that Sprint cannot unlock this device is correct.  This is what I get from Ting:

"It comes down to Sprint as they are the only people out of all the business that can unlock this device. The chip will not accept any SIM card accept one registered to them, I would recommend calling again and advise that the device is yours and you would like it unlocked."

Can you provide more detail as to how you've come to the conclusion that sprint cannot unlock my device?

Journeyman

When I check the Sprint BYOD with the IMEI it indeed says that:

"This phone has already been activated for Sprint service."

I believe Sprint still has this device locked.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat