cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Access Point Names under Mobile Networks Setting

Go to solution
Wizard

What is Access Point Names under Mobile Networks Setting

Just wondering what is Access Point Names (APN) on my Sprint SGS7?  I see a list under that option and currently enable is 'APN2 LTE internet'.  I see there's an option to Add and new one?

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: What is Access Point Names under Mobile Networks Setting

Hello @badankles.

Thanks for reaching out to us with your concerns. An Access Point Name (APN) is the name of a gateway between a GSM, GPRS, 3G or 4G mobile network and another computer network, frequently the public Internet.

A mobile device making a data connection must be configured with an APN to present to the carrier. The carrier will then examine this identifier to determine what type of network connection should be created, for example: which IP addresses should be assigned to the wireless device, which security methods should be used, and how or if, it should be connected to some private customer network.

More specifically, the APN identifies the packet data network (PDN) that a mobile data user wants to communicate with. In addition to identifying a PDN, an APN may also be used to define the type of service, (e.g. connection to Wireless Application Protocol (WAP) server, Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS)) that is provided by the PDN. APN is used in 3GPP data access networks, e.g. General Packet Radio Service (GPRS), evolved packet core (EPC).

Wizard

Thanks @Sprint_Yanil.  I find it interesting that there is an option to Add, hence, do you have any suggestion for new ones to add to help improve my data connection? 

Sprint Social Care

Hello badankles! There is really no need to adjust APN settings, as our devices are currently set up to support Sprint data.

You can attempt to reset using ##72786#. Are you having any issues with data? 

Ciara
Sprint Social Care
Wizard

Hi @Sprint_Ciara, I'm on Wi-Fi most of the time, but when I'm out and about (Raleigh, NC metro area), even when LTE shows in the notification bar, data speed is quite slow.  As in less than 1MBps most of the time.  I like news apps (e.g., Google News, Flipboard) and it's discouraging whenever I try to open up an article to read.  Forget about posting to social network sites.  I know my phone is not the latest, but the SGS7 shouldn't be a hindrance to be able to make sure of Sprint's LTE network(s).

Oh, this issue is not recent.  I'm just hoping that maybe I can do something from my side to improve the data connections, and thought maybe I can Add a new APN or two, if that would work.

Journeyman

Hi badankles. We need to take a look coverage of the area, please confirm the nearest cross streets and ZIP of the places where you are experiencing the issue. Is the issue impacting anyone else in your household or around you? Does the issue happen in one or multiple locations? Are phone calls working properly?

Palmira
Sprint Social Care
Wizard

Hi @Sprint_Palmira.  The answer is yes to all.  If I don't have wi-fi at home, I would have gone to a new carrier long ago because my home is even worse than areas around the city.  I doubt that there is any tower issue or network down in the area, it's just slow most everywhere I go around here within 25 mile radius of Raleigh, NC.

I'm just looking to see if tweaking the APN on my phone or adding a new one, since there's option to do so, would help.  Thanks.

Wizard

Hi badankles. Changing the APN on your phone will not make a difference on the data Speed. We do want to remove the possibility of a network outage on your area. Please let us know the cross streets and ZIP where you experience these slow speeds the most. Also, by any chance, have you attempted any troubleshooting steps?

Joel
Sprint Social Care
Wizard

@Sprint_Joel, I sent PM with my cross streets.  Thanks.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat