cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(When) will Sprint get the Galaxy Watch Active 2 LTE?

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: (When) will Sprint get the Galaxy Watch Active 2 LTE?

What do you mean LTE location?

Journeyman

LTE does work. But there is no VoLTE on Sprint yet. So there is no way to answer a phone ca on your watch without having it connected to your phone. 

Journeyman

Yes there is... and yes there is plenty of LTE towers.. heck I live in the middle of no where in NC and I'm down the road from LTE towers.. I don't have LTE at my house (live on a farm) but the Airrave picks it up just fine. 

As soon as I drive down the road I have LTE service.

Journeyman

Sprints 4G = LTE..

Sprint Social Care

Sasa1981 

This means is a location with LTE coverage. You can check your area, by clicking here . 

Ciara
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

So we might be onto something here. 

Last night at my house I was testing it, I would shut down my phone and the watch cannot receive and make phone calls. 

1. It gives me a message on the watch "data roaming is turned off unable to make phone calls" ( I suspected issue being because no LTE at my house or issue is because my phone was off, if you notice on active 2 sprint page it mentions that watch might not work if the paired phone is powered down...) Anyway i tried to find data roaming option to turn it on, but there is no option under settings "mobile networks" about data roaming. Is there a way to turn data roaming on and off on sprint watch?

Today I took it to work, and watch is working fine, I was able to make and receive phone calls. i walked away from the watch and it was able to make and receive phone calls. I then powered off my paired cell phone and watch is still making and receiving phone calls.

My conclusion is that it looks like my work has better signal and watch connects where my house maybe has a weaker signal (or no LTE) and watch cannot connect to Sprint....i did the sprint map and entered my address and it gives me excellent signal (LTE) on the map.

Even though my phone works just fine at my house. Maybe signal receptor is weaker on the watch? 

Journeyman

So I received the watch last night. Went home from the store after it was set up by customer service rep. I powered the paired phone down to test the standalone connectivity. Watch was unable to make or receive phone calls or text messages.

It gives me a message “data roaming is turned off, unable to make voice calls” . I go under settings, then mobile networks and there is no data roaming option. At this point I suspect it is either because my main phone is powered down (on sprint active 2 watch at the bottom in small letters is stays watch might not be able to make and receive phone calls if main phone is powered down). I turned on the but still experiencing issues. I then suspect weak signal. Sprint coverage map lists excellent signal at my house.

I took the watch to my work today, I started playing with it and everything was working fine, Bluetooth was off on my phone, I was able to make and receive phone calls and text messages. I walked away from the phone and everything still working fine. I powered the phone down and was still able to make phone calls. I tried then sending texts and it gives me a message “attempting to connect to your phone remotely”. Obviously it couldn’t connect since my main phone was powered down. I turn the phone back up, Bluetooth still off, and send the text message from my watch and text went through this time.

My conclusion:

1.There is an issue if your paired phone is turned off, at lest for the text messages, I was unable to send or receive text messages when phone is powered down.

1. There might be an issue with LTE receptors on the watch, since everything works just fine at my work but not at my house. My phone works perfectly at my house. It could be that watch needs even stronger signal…
  2. Does anybody know how to turn data roaming “on” on this watch?
Journeyman

Your phone might work fine at your house because it's not LTE service. You can still use a phone on other bandwidths. But the only thing the watch has is LTE. Remember how they added 3G first than 4G LTE? Now they are slowly switching to 5G. Not all the towers are updated with 4G LTE. Cellphones have several different chips being able to receive all bandwidths CDMA, 3G, 4G LTE and now even 5G.. a watch just doesn't have the room for all of that I'm guessing.

Journeyman

@Sasa1981 the phone does need to remain on on for LTE to work on the watch on standalone, similar to Apple. Mentioned by Em_Will_I_Am on page 2 of this thread. Not sure why/how that works, but I guess for your number to actively recieve the call your phone has to recieve it first, even if miles apart from you and the watch.

Journeyman

I think we solved the issue, to summarize: 

-LTE availability is still limited, and watch only works on LTE, if there are sprint spots where there is a weak LTE signal or no LTE, watch will not receive phone calls and messages. 

-Phone has to be turned on somewhere for the watch to be able to work normally (phone calls/text messages), even if the phone is miles apart from the watch, meaning leave your phone on a charging stand.   

Does this sound correct?

Highlighted
Community Manager

A couple of things that need to be cleared up:

The phone HAS to be on!  The phone acts as a switchboard of sorts.  A call comes in and the phone routes to the watch.  The same thing with the Apple Watch, the phone has to be on.

The watch does use VoLTE.  Sprint has VoLTE everywhere except Puerto Rico, Wyoming, and Montana.  The LTE in VoLTE is LTE and you have to have good LTE coverage in order for it to work.  Poor/No LTE, then no talking over the watch.

Journeyman

Hey there @Em_Will_I_Am - long time listener first time caller 🙂

I got an Active 2 with LTE, but haven't been able to activate the standalone part. I tried and tried with support to no avail (when I do the app activation, I get the error "The Sprint network isn't supported on your watch"). I have a Google Pixel 3 XL and some Googling made it seem that I can't activate Sprint service on my watch with a Pixel 3XL. Any ideas?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat