cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi Calling/Calling Plus Note 9

Journeyman

Wi-Fi Calling/Calling Plus Note 9

I recently upgraded to a Note 9 and have noticed that, even though I can turn on Wi-Fi Calling, it never actually activates and has a slash through it. There is a preinstalled app called Wi-Fi Calling, but when I click on it, it says "Missing Wi-Fi Calling App". After looking through forums I'm seeing that back in September there are posts about a VoLTE that is supposed to be released. Is this still something we are waiting on? I depend heavily on the Wi-Fi calling as I have horrible service at both my home and work, and now without it I'm not getting messages or calls when I should be. Both wi-fi networks worked perfectly fine with the wi-fi calling on previous galaxys. Does anyone have workarounds for getting the wi-fi calling to actually work?

13 REPLIES 13
GrandMaster

Re: Wi-Fi Calling/Calling Plus Note 9

VoLTE has nothing to do with wifi calling. you might want to clear the data and cache on the calling plus app itself to see if that clears anything up...if that doesnt work then an agent might have to reset something in your account on their side.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I don't have a Calling Plus app on my phone, the only thing that shows up is Wi-Fi Calling but I cant open it and the only option it gives me in the app menu is to force stop it. I tried searching for Calling Plus like I had on the s8+ but that doesnt show up on my phone or in the app store

GrandMaster

is this a 9 from Sprint or unlocked from Samsung?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

It's a 9 from Sprint, I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about but under the UICC it says device locked to Sprint SIMS only

GrandMaster

could have sworn the Sprint variants had calling plus still on them...just not the Beta data calling side.

it isnt an app..it should be in your settings..one of the agents might have to activate it for you or refresh it on their side in your account.

Community Manager

On the surface, based on what you what you described, it appears your Sprint phone does not know it's a Sprint phone.  Does your phone have any Sprint-branded apps like Sprint Visual Voicemail, Sprint Music Plus, etc.

I ask because, during activation, the phone pings the servers and ask, "What kind of phone am I?"  and the server responds "You are a Sprint phone.  Go forth and be fruitful!"  then it installs Sprint-branded apps.  Sometimes they don't talk.  Either the phone doesn't ask the server or the server don't respond.  We usually see this when folks activate the phone in poor Sprint coverage.  So, the phone is active on the account, but it does not know it's a Sprint phone.  So, it behaves more like a prepaid device, no Sprint apps, and unable to roam.

How to fix it?  Hard reset the device within good Sprint coverage.

@StylistRashelle wrote:

It's a 9 from Sprint, I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about but under the UICC it says device locked to Sprint SIMS only

Journeyman

It was activated at the Sprint Store connected to their wifi. I do have preinstalled Sprint apps that I've always had with my phones from Sprint and I am able to use them. Wouldn't a hard reset delete everything from my phone? Screenshot_20181128-143324_Samsung Experience Home.jpg

GrandMaster

in the screen shot its showing that its turned on just not connecting. im not the most savvy when it comes to Sammy devices but there should be an option in your settings for wifi and wifi calling or even WFC. if you see it for wifi calling?WFC see if there are any drop downs in there or 3 dots to pull up more options.

actually...while in a good coverage area pull up your dial pad and type in ##BRAND# and let it do its thing. wonder if it tried to download all the Sprint branding stuff and might have boogered up when it was at the wifi calling part possibly.

Journeyman

Screenshot_20181128-145212_Wi-Fi calling.jpg

It is turned on, I even made sure my location is updated. When I type in the ##BRAND# a message pops up that it will reset to factory default, is that going to delete any of my stuff?

Highlighted
GrandMaster

it should not no...let me get a confirmation through @Em_Will_I_Am though..been a long time since i have had to do that code.

actually is it not working on ANY wifi connection or only certain ones? and what options does it give you up top there with the 3 vertical dots?

Community Manager

##BRAND# will not delete your stuff.  Looks like your device knows it's a Sprint phone.  So, that's good.  So, let's get weird.  Go to settings - Connected Devices - Bluetooth and under Device name, change the device name to something else.  By default, it should be the name of the device.  Change it to something else.

@fireguy_6364 wrote:

it should not no...let me get a confirmation through @Em_Will_I_Am though..been a long time since i have had to do that code.

actually is it not working on ANY wifi connection or only certain ones? and what options does it give you up top there with the 3 vertical dots?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat