Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi calling unable to determine location

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Wifi calling unable to determine location

I have a galaxy s8 and recently it started poping up unable to determine location. When I try and use wifi calling in a area where there is no cell service. Is there any fix to this before I change carriers. Sprint seems to be the only carrier with the problem. Will a factory reset fix this. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Wifi calling unable to determine location

Hi there. There were some changes made in the Android Pie update that altered how WiFi calling works. Where it previously used straight GPS to determine your location for WiFi Calling and 911 reporting, Android Pie now requires LTE GPS tracking. If you don't have a strong enough LTE signal, then WiFI Calling is unable to be used since your location can not be reliably pinged by the LTE GPS. 

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted

Hi there. There were some changes made in the Android Pie update that altered how WiFi calling works. Where it previously used straight GPS to determine your location for WiFi Calling and 911 reporting, Android Pie now requires LTE GPS tracking. If you don't have a strong enough LTE signal, then WiFI Calling is unable to be used since your location can not be reliably pinged by the LTE GPS. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you. What is the best way go back versions of android then.with out doing a factory reset and losing almost everything. As I need wifi calling for work.  

Highlighted

Unfortunately we don't have any steps to offer on reverting your operating system back to a previous version. There may be tutorials available online through other channels, but nothing that is officially endorsed by Sprint as we can't guarantee your device functioning appropriately after being altered. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello

that makes no sense, i only use wifi calling when i ahve weak cell reception or when i am travelling abroad and can connect to wifi so can make calls, the pie patch defeats this purpose. Please advise if there will be a remedy to this

Highlighted

At this point I have not heard anything about this change being reverted or updated in any future OS updates. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you for your quick reply, it was not what I want to hear. But that is not your fault.
please let me know if there is anything that you know of that will help, I travel quite often and depend on the wifi calling to call home when i have weak to no cell signal
Highlighted
Journeyman

My husband and I both have Samsung S8. Having the same issue with wifi calling. Sprint tech support had no idea that it is an issue with S8 (or all Samsung?)  I depend on this for my work as well as small business. We can't even send or receive texts. Had Airrave and when it malfunctioned I was given the Magic Box. It didn't work. I've been a loyal Sprint customer for 11 years. If there is no solution, then Sprint should buy back my phones so I can get something that works. I need a solution. Can't keep rebooting my phone all day. Very unhappy.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint is not willing to do nothing as it is not there fault. I am wondering if I do a factory rest and not update if it will work 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Tech support had me on the phone a long time. Did factory reset. It didn't work. 

So who should resolve it, if not Sprint?

Tags (1)
Highlighted

Before is what I shared previously:

There were some changes made in the Android Pie update that altered how WiFi calling works. Where it previously used straight GPS to determine your location for WiFi Calling and 911 reporting, Android Pie now requires LTE GPS tracking. If you don't have a strong enough LTE signal, then WiFI Calling is unable to be used since your location can not be reliably pinged by the LTE GPS.

This is not something that we have control over, here at Sprint. The Android OS updates are out of our hands when it comes to what functionality is built into or changed within the updates. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

From what I can tell, it is only Samsung phones that have the problem. Is that correct? Do other androids work? Can Sprint go back to supplying and supporting the Airrave? 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat