cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

painfully slow MMS send and receive

Journeyman

painfully slow MMS send and receive

I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 and for the past 3 or 4 months MMS messages have been extremely slow to come in OR go out.  Since the problem started I have performed a factory reset at least twice and there have been 2 or 3 software updates.

The MMS problem seems to be intermittent where sometimes it works as expected and messages go out or come in within seconds, other times I have a spinning circle next to the message that can be 5 or 10 minutes... or longer.  When receiving a message I'll see "downloading" show up under the previous messages from that person, that can also last for many minutes.

I have found the the problem seems to be worse when I send to multiple users.

-TL

9 REPLIES 9

Re: painfully slow MMS send and receive

What kind of phone do you have?

Journeyman

see above for the full description.  Your system took my subject and posted before I could type the problem

Journeyman

to add to the description... I just sent a message to 3 people, one on AT&T and the other two on VZ, since it was to multiple people it goes out as an MMS message.

1) I believe all three use iPhones

2) My first outgoing message to them took 5 minutes to send

3) additional messages went out quickly

This seems to be the same in reverse (eg receiving a message)

Addition notes

1) the phone has been factory reset at least twice since the problem started (several months ago)

2) I have received 2 or 3 software updates since the problem began

3) I am only using the messaging app that came with the phone (provided by Samsung)

-TL

Community Manager

PM me your phone number and I will create a ticket for you and have our engineers look at it.  

@Time_Lord wrote:

to add to the description... I just sent a message to 3 people, one on AT&T and the other two on VZ, since it was to multiple people it goes out as an MMS message.

1) I believe all three use iPhones

2) My first outgoing message to them took 5 minutes to send

3) additional messages went out quickly

This seems to be the same in reverse (eg receiving a message)

Addition notes

1) the phone has been factory reset at least twice since the problem started (several months ago)

2) I have received 2 or 3 software updates since the problem began

3) I am only using the messaging app that came with the phone (provided by Samsung)

-TL

Community Manager

High level, looking at your billing address, you are surrounded by patches of fair coverage LTE, which would explain the behavior you are describing.  MMS is, of course, data-driven and if you are in or near fair coverage, it would be delayed.  At any rate, I created the ticket.

Journeyman

@Em_Will_I_Am wrote:

High level, looking at your billing address, you are surrounded by patches of fair coverage LTE, which would explain the behavior you are describing.  MMS is, of course, data-driven and if you are in or near fair coverage, it would be delayed.  At any rate, I created the ticket.

problem occurs both while on the Sprint LTE network (with a full signal) and wi-fi calling.

Community Manager

When you send an MMS, LTE is used for authentication, so if you are connected to WIFI, LTE is used to authenticate who you are.  Your area is surrounded by Fair LTE coverage which is best used outside.  It still fits with your description of some time it works within seconds, other times minutes.  All depends on where you are and what site you are connected to. 

@Time_Lord wrote:

@Em_Will_I_Am wrote:

problem occurs both while on the Sprint LTE network (with a full signal) and wi-fi calling.

Journeyman

Still having problems with slow MMS, have spoken to Sprint support, my phone has been re-provisioned, they have no idea, they now say that "I must have a problem with the device"  Really? stock S8 phone, been factory reset at least twice, what support is telling me is not matching what I'm seeing on the phone.  They claim the removed wifi calling from my device but I still have wifi calling active.

reminds me of +/-2 years ago when I had problems getting SMS messages, Sprint swore up and down that it was my phone, they then reprovisioned it to a different phone number and it worked, they provisioned it back to my original number is stopped working... of course Sprint blamed that on my phone until they found somebody that really understood how things were provisioned.

I have been dealing with this problem for months and nobody seems to be able to solve the issue, is there any competency in support and somebody that is willing to actually tackle the problem?  The woman I just got off the phone with claimed "she was the highest level of support" OMG really?

-TL

Journeyman

roughly 16 hours later wi-fi calling was removed from my device... still no change, over 3 minutes to send a simple MMS picture.

SPRINT FIX YOUR SYSTEM!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat