cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Clear restrictions" warning?

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: "Clear restrictions" warning?

Is this a Special Edition s9+? I don't know how to get the password, at this moment. But I would like to do some checking on that phone. I'm sending you a private message to get some info.

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Journeyman

Thanks for your response. It is not a Special Edition version. Thanks for any assistance you can render.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Same problem here!

I've been in contact with Sprint several times with no resolution. I have been a sprint customer for 20 years, and never seen anything like this. To my knowledge there are no corporate stores in New England, please correct me if you know different, but the ones in South Portland and Biddeford ME are not corporate stores. The store told me to call, the phone peeps told me to go to the store, when I explained my dilemma to the last phone person I spoke with he searched the community and found this thread so I thought I would post here.

Here is what I know...

- Both my current phone and my new to me Galaxy S8 are verified as paid off by Sprint.

- I am in regular contact with the previous owner of the phone who has been more than amazing through this miserable process.

He had an FRP issue when he tried to sell the phone the first time.

Samsung claims they have a process to remove FRP, so he sent it to them.

When I received the phone is was all wrapped like a brand new phone and Samsung certified that the phone was good to go. I contacted Samsung for help with getting the phone up and running, and got through the process perfectly...

maybe a minute later the "This Phone Is On A Lease" warning pops up asking me for a password to clear it, and keeps popping up and won't go away, worse yet, it's keeping me from accessing Sprint's LTE network.  

Here's the creepy part, it acts just like googles FRP, except it is caused by the Sprint Warning, and when I did the factory reset, if I sign onto wifi when setting up, as soon as wifi connected the phone the phone restriction warning would flash then it would go to a pin lock, just like googles FRP

Sprint has no idea how to remove this warning even though both accounts are 100% clear. I am going to see if I can get help from Samsung. In the mean time, any help from anyone here is greatly appreciated.

I'm glad to hear that you are getting assistance from the person that sold you the phone. For me to proceed, I have to see that the phone is clear. I'm sending you a private message for some more info.

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Journeyman

I had the same issue with a phone I bought from eBay. To get a proper answer I contacted the leasing department of Sprint and they were able to find the history of the phone. The original owner got the phone in March, cancelled the account in July and then moved the phone number to Verizon. Although strangely I could activate the phone the lease debt continued to be attached to the phone.
I will suggest you contact Sprint's lease department to find out the history of the phone. If you got it from Sprint then they may have sold you a returned lease phone. If you bought it privately then best bet is to return it and collect a refund. Unfortunately there is no other solution, at least that I am aware off and I did research it extensively.
Journeyman

Thanks, I'm in process of checking the history, but so far everything has checked out. I have a cas # and payoff confirmation #. I will post the result. I may end up having to return the phone, but I'd really like to get this one solved before I throw in the towel. I hope you were able to get your money back

Journeyman

Woohoo!!!! Mystery Solved with a positive result!

While I am absolutely ecstatic about this resolution, I am blown away by how difficult it was to verify a Sprint Lease Payoff. The first complication I ran into here was that the previous owner of the phone never disconnected his google account, so we solved that, then tackled the payment issue.

I sent the previous owner a note letting him know sprint has not recorded his final payment.

He sent me a note back that he had paid it off in April

He went to his Sprint Store, verified the payoff and recieved a case # which he gave to me, along with his Sprint PIN and phone number associated with the phone (as I mentioned in a previous post he has been super cooperative throughout this whole process) After several calls to Sprint I finally reached someone who gave me the information for this Sprint Community and told me the lease was marked as cancelled, but that they would further investigate the case number. I have played phone tag with Sprint while waiting for a solution from this community, which has been fantastic about replying to my notes.

When tundeoni1 relayed his experience on this thread, I thought it couldn't hurt to once again call the number on the warning, Which I had not called since I first got the warning, and which is different than all other tech support and customer service sprint phone numbers in case you are interested, Sprint Finance phone number is 855-326-7974

Michelle answered the phone. I gave her my phone number, the previous owners name, PIN, and payoff case number. She put me on hold while she looked everything up. She verified once again that the phone has been paid off, then put me on hold again for a few minutes. She came back on the line, asked me if my sprint Galaxy S8 was on wifi. I told her it was and she said she had a passcode for me. While she was giving me the passcode, the "clear restrictions" message disappeared. I told her there was no place to put the pass code. She said it was because she removed it on her end and she was glad it worked. I told her I was so happy I could burst. I honestly have never had so much trouble with any device I have ever had. At least now it is solved, and hopefully someone can learn something from this experience.

The bottom line is this, the key to solving this is a really good seller, who is willing to put up with whatever it takes to make the sale right. The thing with these new phones is that many (mostly older, or non-tech) users don't understand that before selling a phone, you need to have a passcode to prove it's paid off, and you need to remove your phone from your google account, as well as your Samsung account, and even disconnect it from Sprint account. Only after all these steps are taken can you sell a phone worry free.

A big Thank you to Michelle and the many other Sprint reps I have chatted with, as well as RedCruzr & QueenK, and of course to tundeoni1, without whose advice I probably would have waited another week to get this resolved.

Wizard

We're happy, that this is finally resolved for you. If you need help with anything in the future, don't hesitate to reach back out to us. Have a great weekend!Smiley Happy

QueenK Social Care 

Be Original, Not a Copy. 
Your opinion matters! So feel free to show someand accept the solution once the issue is fixed!
Journeyman

Im sorry to hear that, unfortunately i am having the same exact problem. I don't know how true it is but you can pay a third party entity to unlock the phone for you, im just not sure on that tho. Sorry i couldnt be more help to you
Journeyman

Samsung do a reset for you, however, if the original owner still has the phone listed on their gmail account, you will still have trouble as soon as you arrive at the google sign in portion. Also, it will not remove this warning.

The most important thing is to call the number listed on the clear restrictions warning, and use that phone number, and no other number until the issue is resolved. That number goes directly to Sprint Leasing who is the only entity who can remove that warning.I've told my story earlier in this thread, and while it did have a happy ending it was a massive headache that kept me from using a perfectly good phone for nearly 2 months due to a clerical error on behalf of Sprint. Thankfully I had a very honest seller who was a willing partner in helping me get to the bottom of this. I hope you are as fortunate as I was.

Clearing restrictions: this may take a considerable amount of time between you, the original owner of the phone, and Sprint. In my case Sprint had marked the previous owners contract as cancelled when he paid the phone off rather than Paid. This was a huge pain, and a big relief when it was finally solved. I bought the phone in good faith, the seller (thankfully) sold me the phone in good faith. we both contacted Sprint and opened up separate cases. He got confirmation that his phone was paid and the cancellation was reversed. I got the confirmation number and reported it to Sprint. By the time I was off the phone with them the "Clear restrictions" warning was removed. This took a ridiculous amount of calls to Sprint from both myself and the previous owner who insisted his phone was paid off. I will say again; The most important thing is to call the number listed on the clear restrictions warning, and use that phone number, and no other number until the issue is resolved. That number goes directly to Sprint Leasing who is the only entity who can remove that warning.

Best of luck to you

Journeyman

My wife and i have called at least 10 times each for this  problem. It always takes at least 30 min on hold before someone says theyll file a request for unlock which will take 24 to 48 hrs. No one has ever listened when we explain that the password is requested on the phone in the clear restrictions text box. Sprint has been by far the worst experience with a corporation we have ever had. Everything from the start of service to purchase of the phones has been horrid and much harder than necessar.

@Jgall23, Is this a phone you purchased from Sprint? Are you trying to put it on your Sprint account?

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat