Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

s8 plus text message ringtone for content

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

s8 plus text message ringtone for content

Anyone with the S8 plus notice that we don't have the ability to assign text message ringtones to contacts any more? Now all text messages have the same ringtone and I hate that. Does anyone know if this was an oversight by the developers of the official Oreo software? I hate not being able to know who is texting with everyone having the same ringtone. Please do anyone knows or have any knowledge that we will get it back sooooo.

62 REPLIES 62

Re: s8 plus text message ringtone for content

Hello there!

You probable are but, just want to confirm you're following the below route to add your ringtone:

• Tap Settings > Sounds and vibration.
  • Tap Ringtone, scroll to the bottom of the list, and then tap Add from device storage.
  • Select a source for the ringtone.
  • Tap a song to hear a preview, and then tap Done to save it as a ringtone.

Then go back to Settings > Sounds and vibration, where you should be able to set the default sound for messages, calendar and email notifications. I'm not sure if this is where you're unable to set a custom notification per contact. Or is this something you used to do from the contact list itself? Keep us posted if this helped in your case.

Kelvin
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Thanks.. no that's not it .. u usually can go to your contacts name and it will have ringtone for when they call and message tone for text messages and now there's no  Option for message tone no more for we can  identify who's textn us without us having to look at it if we wanted to text back.. 

Journeyman

Hi @MAY23LOVE1, I was looking information on some forums I found this steps, Can you try it?

1. Open Contacts.
  2. Tap the contact you wish to set a custom ringtone for.
  3. Tap the three-dot menu icon in the top right corner.

4. Tap Set ringtone.
  5. Select the custom ringtone you added to the ringtones folder.
  6. Tap Save or OK.

Jey
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

That's not it that's for just the ringtone not for to set for message tone like b4 .. now the new update of oreo software won't show or have that  Option to set our contract a separate message ringtone .  only a ringtone when our contract calls.

GrandMaster

since it was in there prior to the update im thinking Samsung is going to have to either kick out another update to fix this or you will end up seeing an update kick through the play store for your contacts or something along those lines.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Ooo ok ..hopefully they will see that soon..cause  that why is Samsung Galaxy fans  picks Samsung because of how we can  Customize our phones how we like it as our own.. because  if they take a lot out of  Customization it's just going to draw a lot of us away from Samsung .

GrandMaster

i doubt they removed it. more than likely it was either missed or its possible the update itself didnt load correctly on your device. we will need to have some other S8 plus owners chime in if their devices can still do it or not..if they can then there are steps we can try with your phone to see if we can get it back to working.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Wizard

Yeah this will Always Vary from every Text app the default Samsung Text App will have some features but not all. If there are certain features individuals are looking for in Text Apps they might try Android Messages which is basically Androids on Version of iMessage or Textra is one folks use as well. 🙂 

Journeyman

Ok hopefully they see it and fix it soon..cause I seen some who say they have the s9 and it doesn't have it as well too..

Journeyman

Oo ok

Wizard

Yeah I have never seen the option on the default Samsung Text App to setup a custom text sounds for your Contacts. That being said Not saying it might have been there in the past and its something they could always add to the app. But again it will always vary from every Text App some have more features than others.. 🙂 

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat