3. Select Phone Info, and then press Menu/OK
   4. Select Version, and then press Menu/OK
   5. Software Version will be listed in the format 1.XXXSP

Update your software
   1. From the Home screen, select the Main menu by pressing the Menu/OK key
   2. Select Tools, and then press Menu/OK
   3. Select Update Phone, and then press Menu/OK
   4. Select Update Firmware, and then press Menu/OK
   5. The following message appears, Checking for firmware update. Please wait...
   6. You will be prompted to install the update after it is downloaded to your phone.

23 REPLIES 23
Journeyman

Re: 2/17 - Sanyo Incognito Maintenance Release - 1.003SP

I have a issues when trying to install the new software it gets to 20% and then it gives ERROR 8506 and tells me upgrade could not be complete and to contact Sprint.

Ryan

Journeyman

yeah it tells me the same thing it gets to 20% and then i get the same error code 8506 and contact sprint

Journeyman

I've been on the phone with sprint most of the day and all they can tell me is that i need to go to a sprint store and have them put the new software on my phone. They are no help. I live about 2hours away from the closest Sprint store.

Journeyman

DO THEY HAVE A FIX FOR THIS UPDATE YET? THERE ISNT A SPRINT STORE WITHIN 50 MILES OF ME AND ALL THEY TELL ME IS TO HARD RESET MY PHONE NOT GONNA LOOSE MY STUFF OVER AN UPDATE ITS NOT MY FAULT THEIR UPDATES ARE CRAP

Journeyman

I agree!  Really, what is the deal here?  The original poster has not replied at all either...I went to two different Sprint centers, including the main repair store for the region.  They said to call Sprint.  I have called Sprint, emailed them on here, and done an online chat.  Not one person has been able to help.  I was even sent to Advanced Tech.  Still nothing.  So,honestly, where is the customer support here that Sprint's CEO touts so much in their commercials??  Noone can get this upgrade to work.  Why was it even released?

Wizard

2/17 - Sanyo Incognito Maintenance Release - 1.003SP

Are those of you experiencing the Error 8506 on the most current prior release - 1.002?  Did you initiate the update following the steps in the original post or did you receive a notification on your phone that an update was available?  Let me know and I'll forward the information to appropriate team. 

Journeyman

I have tried the update both ways and it wont install. it automatically tried it then i tried to update through the steps both failed.

Journeyman

and im getting the error. 8506

Journeyman

I am getting the error every time, trying it by going to update phone.  it finds it, asks if i want to install, then gets to 20%, then fails.

Journeyman

This person is also posting about this issue:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/63464?tstart=0

Wizard

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  I've sent this on to the appropriate department and will let you know what I hear back. 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat