cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tethering a Sanyo Pro 700 (or any Sprint Phone)?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Tethering a Sanyo Pro 700 (or any Sprint Phone)?

I currently have a free and clear sprint plan with a sanyo pro 700 phone.  The phone is fantastic, as far as basic phones go, but Im traveling heavily over the next 3 months and could really use a 3G connection to my laptop.  After some investigating it appears my options are all over the place.

After talking with 3 sprint reps, each less informed than the first, I thought I'd put the question out there to avid forum people.

This is what I have gathered from my 3 sprint sources but none could corroborate the others' story (as of 9/10/09):

-Apparently I can add in phone data service for $15/month

-Tethering may be possible on certain phone models with 3G and Bluetooth (which the pro700 is) under the $15/mo plan with a 5GB cap

-Blackberry software does some kind of tethering, although no one really could explain what that meant

-An aircard can be purchased either through sprint or a 3rd party BUT activation will require at least a one year contract regardless of purchase place

-Aircard contracts are $80/mo w/ 1yr commitment and $60/mo w/ 2 year commitment

The best information I have found is a list of phones that support the phone-as-modem service here:

http://www6.sprint.com/downloads/sprint_smartview/pdfs/SSV_SupportedDevicesWindows2.25.pdf

But that doesnt answer everything else.  Point by point - can anyone back up any of these claims?  Does sprint even offer tethering on any phone?

If anyone from Sprint is listening, you really need to train your employees.  0/3 - and I mean no one knew what I was talking about.  There was a huddle of 6 employees on my third try at the store, each dumbfounded by these questions, unable to even sell their own services.  Yowza.

Tags (3)
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat