cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

software/driver help for sanyo scp 3810

Journeyman

Re: software/driver help for sanyo scp 3810

If you'll notice, I think you'll see that your phone's 'charging' lite now comes on when you plug it into USB.

That's all the driver does for me.

Sprint's not gonna help you with this.   Think about it.  If you were Sprint, wouldn't you prefer to let you pay

an extra monthly bite to use the functions of the phone?

Journeyman

You are probably right, gfdsafgdsa.  I did search the Sanyo 3810 manual on the Sprint website and found an entry for data cable.  It says you can connect a data cable to the USB port.  I suspect there is funtionality in the phone that the Sprint version does not activate.

Maybe this is what I get for choosing this phone.  I may have to look at other carriers or a different phone if I can't find something on the web.

Journeyman

Okay folks, calm down.

Earlier in this thread there was information posted about a program called DataPilot. To get access to your phone's pictures and address book through your PC, buy the available USB cable for the SCP-3810. Then buy a copy of DataPilot (it's far cheaper than subscribing to and using Sprint's ridiculous Picture Mail scam). Follow the installation instructions TO THE LETTER! I am an IT pro and it took me four times going through the procedure because I thought I knew what they wanted... don't think, just follow the instructions (provided with DataPilot) EXACTLY.

If you do that, you will be able to use the DataPilot program to interact with your phone. You can edit, upload, or download addresses, or download pictures from the phone (no upload at this time).

Again, it is important to follow the instructions carefully. Failure to do so won't hurt your phone, but will make you frustrated that you can't get it working. It has to do with using the Susteen USB cable driver that comes with DataPilot rather than using the ser2pl.sys file... I can't give you all of the details (it has been awhile), but trust me, it does work.

- Joe

Journeyman

One shouldn't have to pay anything extra to get a device to work the way it was presented. I would not have bought this phone if I had known all this.

It's like buying a new car and having to immediately take it in to a shop and pay extra in order to make it run. I guess I am stuck waiting for Sanyo to make the drivers available, that is if I don't take this phone back and shove it up Sprint. Alas, that is probably not possible.

MMc

Journeyman

@Joe.Rella

I followed your advice and calmed down.  I bought the DataPilot software and one of their data cables ($29.95 for the CD and $19.95 for the cable.)  Followed the instructions.  Phone did not sync to computer.  Contacted DataPilot tech support and let them remotely connect to my computer.  They could not get the phone to sync.  At least DataPilot has a 30 day money back guarantee and they refunded all my money.

@everyone else

Called Sprint to complain.  They told me I could return the SCP-3810 to any full-service Sprint phone store as long as I was within 30 days of original order.  My old phone would be reactivated.  Went to a full service store.  They charged me a $35.00 "restocking fee" for the privilege of returning the phone.  Seems like the extremely fine print on page 1,397,052 of the Sprint terms of service contract says you can return a phone within 30 days and there will be no restocking fee PROVIDED the returned phone was attached to a NEW ACCOUNT or a NEW LINE for an existing account.  If the phone was an UPGRADE to an EXISTING LINE OF SERVICE the $35.00 restocking fee would apply.  If you want to return the SCP-3810 be prepared to shell out an immediate $35.00 restocking fee.  I feel lucky in that I was able to get Sprint customer service (not the full service store) to adjust my monthly bill for the $35 after I complained loudly enough.

Hope this helps.

Journeyman

to leeanon,

Thanks much for the return info. I have till the 16th to get a reply from Sanyo,  then I will return the phone if no drivers are available. They can keep the stupid pictures on the worthless phone. I knew I should have went with Vorizon. Oh well one continues to lean all the time. Good luck with your NEW phone.

Marv

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Marv -

Just some additional information I got from the techie who reprogrammed my old cell phone after I turned in the SCP-3810.  It may save you or someone else the same grief I experienced.  Basically, if you want a phone to sync directly to a computer, you need a smartphone.

In the beginning, there were cell phones and personal digital assistants (or PDAs).  Cell phones were used for making calls--and not much else--while PDAs, like the Palm Pilot, were used as personal, portable organizers.  Eventually, PDAs gained wireless connectivity and were able to send and receive e-mail. Cell phones, meanwhile, gained messaging capabilities, too. PDAs then added cellular phone features, while cell phones added more PDA-like (and even computer-like) features.  The result was the smartphone.  From what I could find out, there is no real industry wide standard as to what makes a cell phone a smartphone.  But all smartphones seem to have the following similarities or features:

Operating System: In general, a smartphone will be based on an operating system that allows it to run productivity applications. BlackBerry smartphones run the BlackBerry OS, while other devices run the Palm OS or Windows Mobile.  Then there are those smartphones that use a basic version of Linux.

Software: While almost all cell phones include some sort of software (even the most basic models these days include an address book or some sort of contact manager, for example), a smartphone will have the ability to do more. It may allow you to create and edit Microsoft Office documents--or at least view the files. It may allow you to download applications, such as personal and business finance managers. Or it may allow you to edit photos, get driving directions via GPS, and create a playlist of digital tunes.  A smartphone will also allow you to add additional software to run specific applications (like being able to sync the phone directly to a computer.)

Web Access: More smartphones can access the web at higher speeds, thanks to the growth of 4G data networks and the addition of Wi-Fi support to many handsets. Not all smartphones offer high-speed web access.  But they all offer some sort of access. You can use your smartphone to surf the net.  Just because you can sign up for  web access through your carrier does NOT necessarily mean the phone becomes a smartphone.

QWERTY Keyboard:  Not a numeric pad where you have to click the number 7 multiple times to type a P, Q, R, or S.  The keyboard can be a part of the phone or appear as a touch screen like on the iPhone.

Messaging: Just about all cell phones made within the past couple of years can send and receive text messages, but what sets a smartphone apart is its handling of e-mail. A smartphone can sync with your personal--and, sometimes, your professional--e-mail account. Some smartphones can support multiple e-mail accounts. Others include access to instant messaging services like Yahoo! Messenger.

If the phone you're looking at is missing one or more of these features, it may not have or support the necessary drivers to sync directly to your computer.  You may be able to find 3rd party software like that offered by DataPilot.  But you also run the risk of losing any warranty service by either the phone manufacturer and/or your carrier (Sprint, etc.)

Journeyman

As I said in my post, using DataPilot worked for me. It is not easy to do, because most of us think we know how to install drivers and such. There is a very specific way to install the cable driver. I will try to find the email they sent me with the exact directions and post them.

As for buying third party software to get it working, well, if your Sprint rep told you that you didn't need third party software, he lied. There is no working driver from Sanyo for this phone yet.

As I mentioned before, DP is a lot cheaper than using Sprint PictureMail.

I will look for the instructions tonight. All you need to have are a working USB cable to connect the phone to a USB port, and the DP software. Stay tuned for step-by-step instructions.

- Joe

Journeyman

Just got off the phone with sprint tech support. still no usb driver for scp3810 as of 7:30 pm5/6/10

Journeyman

You may have already found this out, but Sanyo phones are manufactured by Kyocera.  Try going to www.kyocera.com and search there.  I think you'll have better luck.

Community News

Having trouble posting or viewing your Private Messages? We made an update to the Community registration process which requires you to validate your email, click here to read more about it.