cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sanyo Zio touchscreen problems, multi-touch, and Android 2.2 (froyo)?

Journeyman

Sanyo Zio touchscreen problems, multi-touch, and Android 2.2 (froyo)?

Touchscreen sensitivity is a problem for the Zio, notably: it seems like the slower the finger moves, the faster the scroll on a web page; and the faster the finger moves, the slower the scroll.  It is very difficult to move through any menu, contacts list, or webpage with any appropriate speed.

Another issue is more of a quirk for a newly-released phone with Android 2.1, and that is a lack of multi-touch.  Will this feature be implemented later or is the hardware simply incapable of it?

Finally, will the Zio receive an update to Android 2.2 (froyo)?

22 REPLIES 22
Journeyman

Re: Sanyo Zio touchscreen problems, multi-touch, and Android 2.2 (froyo)?

The touchscreen on this phone is AWFUL.  I just bought one, hoping it was a good phone based on reviews and because I liked the form factor.  But this touchscreen is essentially unusable.  I am returning it the same day that I bought it.  Sucks, because this is the only small smartphone sprint has that I liked.

Wizard

Did you see the LG Optimus S? Kind of similar to the Zio, but I like the looks of this one a bit better. This one has Android 2.2 already so no need to wait for an upgrade, but won't be available for sale until Oct 31. The price point will also be under $50, so will be very affordable too!

If you like the thin design, Android OS and Sprint ID - This would be a good device to investigate as an alternative to the Zio.

Press Release

http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=1664

Fact Sheet (Pictures & Specs)

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news/lg-optimus-s-fact-sheet.htm

Journeyman

Anticipating the end of my Sprint contract, I visited my local Sprint Store and was hyped by the clerk about a new phone, the Sanyo Zio

I returned on the date that the clerk said the phone would be inaugurated, and I purchased it with the belief that I was getting a fabulous phone.

The phone is virtually useless because of its sensitivity, jumpiness, unpredictability, and many, many other glitches that I've encountered.

I have used a cell phone since 2003, and have owned and loved my previous smart phone since 2008. 

The Sanyo Zio is in a word: JUNK!

Sanyo and Sprint trotted this phone out and not even the Sprint Store Clerks were adept at using the phone.   One of the clerks wiped out

a couple text messages when trying to show me how to delete a thread.    It was unintentional, but the fact is that he didn't know how to operate

the features.   Anyway, BUYER BEWARE.    The Zio is a nightmare.    I'm waiting for a Samsung Instinct (latest generation) which I am told

is no longer available.    I'm dumping this Sanyo Zio as soon as possible.    SANYO ZIO guarantees many exercises in futility and frustration!

Message was edited by: merrychristmas50

Message was edited by: merrychristmas50

Journeyman

I hate this phone battery will not hold and it cuts off and on anytime it want to.,

Wizard

I have not purchased the Sanyo Zio because I could not find good reviews on it.  If you find a good review, it's probably not really a review, but rather a marketing campaign.  The reviews that I have read about the Zio are consistently below expectations.

However, the Optimus has received good reviews.  I have the Optimus.  I think it appears to be a superior device to the Zio, considering it has a secondary cpu core to handle modem related tasks.  It runs very smoothly.  I use SketchBook Mobile by Autodesk, and it works flawlessly (they recommend a 1ghz processor).  My recommendation: Hurry and replace your Zio with the LG Optimus!

It seems manufacturers don't build phones this good anymore, and prefer to get a hyped up specs phone out there without making sure it functions correctly, then they load up Android, hoping it will work.  On the other hand, LG seems to have built a solid, working phone around the Android platform with dependable performance.

Folks, I came from a Samsung Moment, and I understand how frustrating it can be to have a phone that's full of bugs and "fixes".  The Optimus is truly a breath of fresh air.  It simply works.

(ps. You may have to get a class 4 or 6 micro sd card for the Optimus.  Some people have had issues with the free card that Sprint puts with it.)

Journeyman

I would more than love to give a positive review on the Sanyo Zio, but no matter how hard I tried it wouldnt allow me to. I actually kept the phone for almost 3 weeks, hoping that upgrading the software would aid the tremendously terrible screen response. But no cigar. I honestly couldnt believe how lethargic the screen response was. I had a screen lock on it. And God forbid im in an emergency situation and needed to unlock it right away. With the exception of the emergency call feature i wouldve been in dire trouble. it took me no less that 4 times to get it to respond and unlock. Many times it would force me to wait 30 seconds because it didnt take my path and said "I" entered the wrong code.

I like the style of the phone but it is just not up to par. As I further investigated, I realized the phone is not hearty at all. I currently have both an EVO  HTC 4G and an Epic 4G both are very hearty. I have previously had 4 other samsung models all seem hearty. The Sanyo Zio feels almost empty.

Not sure if that has anything to do with the functionality, but be that as it may. I am currently awating my LG Optimus as an exchange for the Zio. i pray it functions better,

Im sure Sanyo is well aware of this problem by now and shouldve had some kind of firmware update to remedy the situation. But as it appears, thats not the case.

Signed,

Will read reviews "FIRST", before purchase, next time.

Journeyman

.To everyone out there complain about the Sanyo Zio.I have had my phone now for about 3 months. I have NOT had a problem of my phone just shutting off. The multi-screen works perfectly fine for me. I use my phone for Internet, downloads, pic mail, pic to pic and the whole nine yards.All I can tell you all is that if you are having a problem with an application or download that you previously downloaded not working then remove the program and download it again. It only takes a couple seconds. Really. And for the people that are saying they are having trouble with the battery you need to let your battery go completely dead every now and then, then remove the battery, then replace the battery then hook it up to it's charger.and let it get a full charge.THE ZIO IS A GREAT PHONE AND THE UPDATES ARE NORMAL JUST LIKE IT IS WITH EVERYTHING ELSE(AND IF THIS WASN"T TRUE YOU ALL WOULDNT KEEP UPDATING YOUR PERSONAL COMPUTER AS WELL AS YOUR PHONE) SO THE WAY I SEE IT IF YOU REALLY ARE TIRED OF THE UPDATES AND NOT HAPPY WITH THE PHONE. THEN I SUGGEST FOR YOU TO GO BACK TO PAPER AND PENCIL AND ROTARY TELEPHONES. THAT'S WERE IT ALL BEGAN!!!!!            

PROUD TO BE OLD SKOOL!

Journeyman

Well, I posted this on the Samsung Transform 2.2 thread, but it seemed relevant here.

http://www.androidcentral.com/going-ask-sprint-about-froyo-heres-what-theyll-tell-you

Basically, its a screencap with Sprint's official stance on the matter regarding Android 2.2 on the Epic, Transform, and Zio. The good news is that Sprint knows of the Android 2.2 upgrade woes for these devices. The bad news is that there's no official due date for an update to be released.

Journeyman

so true

Highlighted
Journeyman

lol.hey u are probably right.

Journeyman

I'm not a happy customer with this phone.  Moved from Blackberry to Android using this phone and when I purchased it it was $199 with a $100 rebate now Sprint is giving it away which tells me they know it is a bad phone!

Touch screen problems; network issues with never going to 3G and/or getting less than 4 bars all the time; alway roaming; many more ...

Called today and they said "take to corporate store repair center" then we will see what we can do ...

Come on -- you know it is a bad phone ... replace it already ...

NOW -- Premier customers cannot upgrade for 22 months!!!!!!!  I hope I am not stuck with a phone I hate for two years!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat