cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubleshoot common issues on your Sanyo Zio

Highlighted
Journeyman

Troubleshoot common issues on your Sanyo Zio

I just got a new Zio. They transferred my contacts from my old phone. I saw that they were all there last night. The next afternoon I went to call someone from my contact list and 90 percent of them were gone. Being a new phone I have been installing new apps and working on the settings to make them more usable to me. I am relatively aware of what I was doing and do not believe I did anything that could have erased them. Has anyone else had this experience?

I updated the firmware, android software and PRL only after discovering the missing contacts.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Troubleshoot common issues on your Sanyo Zio

Yes, I too just received my phone and have spent the past day and half transferring my contacts manually only to find them missing after I connected to the web and facebook. It put all my contacts on facebook into my phone for which I do not want. So now when I can next find time, I will have to figure out how to delete them.

Highlighted
Wizard

If any accounts (Gmail, Facebook, Exchange, etc.) were added after the contacts were manually set up in your phone, you may need to configure the Display options.  From your contacts, tap on Menu and then select Display options.  You should be able to pull up each accounts contact settings and ensure "All Other Contacts" is check marked.  

Message was edited by: dshoem01

Highlighted
Journeyman

The EXACT same thiing has happened to me.  The store transferred my contacts last night from my old phone. They showed me the list afterwards on the new phone.  And this morning all of those contacts are gone.  I'm left with a bunch of GMAIL contacts that I do not want.  I used the method described above to display them, but to no avail. These contacts are not hidden, they are completely gone.  I was going to readd them manually but after reading the note above, I realize its pointless.  I'd love to hear when we'll get a software update to resolve this issue....Without it, the phone is relatively worthless as a phone.

This is a MAJOR BUG!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

Same thing just happened to me with a new Zio.  Service center transferred them from my old A900 - I saw all the contacts there.  Then, later this evening I noticed they were all gone - looked everywhere - but nada!  My best guess is that this is connected with the "synching" options with Google.

While I was fooling around with the phone - adding IDs and such - I was directed to enroll in Google mail - which I did. After that, the contacts were gone.

I've since noticed some options to disable the synching, which I have done.  I'll go to the service center again tomorrow and have them re-do the transfer of the contacts from the old phone and see if that works.

If this is the real answer - it's REALLY lousy that Sprint/Google haven't made it clearer and offered a simple way to avoid the problem.

BTW - is anyone else underwhelmed with the whole Sprint ID thing?  I'm finding it difficult to customize a home screen with ONLY the apps/widgets that I want there.

Open to any suggestions.

Highlighted
Wizard

Can someone verify if they have tried the fix dshoem01 has suggested? It may be that it has synced your Google contacts and has hidden the ones that are not in Google. All of my contacts are both in Google and Exchange, so kind of hard for me to test/verify.

dshoem01 wrote:

If any accounts (Gmail, Facebook, Exchange, etc.) were added after the contacts were manually set up in your phone, you may need to configure the Display options.  From your contacts, tap on Menu and then select Display options.  You should be able to pull up each accounts contact settings and ensure "All Other Contacts" is check marked.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Unfortunately that was not the case.  I took the phone into Sprint and they agreed that the original automated transfer of about 50 contacts from my old phone to my new phone had disappeared.  The display settings were set correctly to see all contacts, and only the google transfers remained in memory.(I didn''t really want ANY of those, but the gmail connection is required to receive Apps.)  They said its a bug.  And Best Buy suggested I dump the Gmail address I was used to using, and said I should set up a brand new gmail address that would have no contacts so that the contacts I want to retain won't be written over again. The only other issue I have with the Zio is the touchpad keyboard.   It's configured strangely and I have to touch the keys slightly above the key I'm aiming for.  Its annoying.  When I complained to the Sprint guy about that issue, he totally blew me off as a whiner.  The Best Buy salespeople on the other hand went out of their way to help me decide on whether to keep the Zio or trade for the Intercept (it has a keyboard.)  Its been an interesting experience.  I'm a computer programmer and I'm amazed at the real computer capability of these phones.

Highlighted
Wizard

Thanks for the info sungrrl40. I will do my best to make sure the right people hear about this issue, if it isn't already in the works for known issues. As far as Google Syncing the contacts, I have to admit that this annoyed me about Android at first too. Now it seems to group the contacts better with Exchange, because I was getting a lot of duplicates before.

If you don't use your Gmail account for email - then creating another account is an option, however there is a way to turn off contacts sync under Menu > Settings > Accounts & Sync. The problem is Google tries to sync as soon as you put in your ID, so you have to be quick to shut it off before it can download them. You may do something tricky like put it into airplane mode as soon as your account is validated until you can de-select the contacts option.

On the keyboard thing, I have no suggestions either. There are some other keyboards you can download on the internet to see if those might work better. There are really no options to configure the touch input to align it better, so not sure what to do if it is off.

Highlighted
Wizard

After doing some more searching online, it sounds like this may just be a Google Android issue, and not a Zio specific problem. I got confirmation that Sprint is aware of this issue and is working on a fix for all Google devices. I guess if you transfer your contacts AFTER  you have synced with Google, this should not be an issue (or if you disable contacts sync before it has a chance to wipe them.)

Take a look at all the posts about it.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS400US401&&sa=X&ei=uqPFTPmoE4S8lQf_pe0F&ved=0CBIQB...

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat