cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you still use old Sprint phones on your current plan?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Can you still use old Sprint phones on your current plan?

By old, I don't mean "used on your account before", I mean several years old. I accidentally spilled soda on my fiance's phone so he's been using mine for work. I remember using the Samsung Rant several years ago, and thought about buying another one off eBay since they're relatively cheap and I have past experience with them. I would need to go to the store to add a new line to our plan anyway (we hadn't merged our phone services yet but this situation gives us an opportunity to do so).

My question is: if I buy a used (but clean and Sprint compatible) Samsung Rant online and bring it to a Sprint store, would they be able to add it to my current plan or would I have to make a new one? I'm not really sure if they let you use phones that are so outdated on current plans. For reference, my plan includes two lines, unlimited texting and calling, and limited data. Both of the other phones are iPhones. I'm just not sure about compatibility here. Sorry if this is a silly question.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
5 REPLIES 5
Master

Re: Can you still use old Sprint phones on your current plan?

While you might be able to use it, you won't be able to use it to the networks full potential. The Rant is old technology and as such won't connect to the LTE side of the Sprint network, it may even have issues with the current 3G side of the network. You might be able to receive calls and send texts, but that could be the limits of what you can do.

You might be better off buying a compatible Samsung Galaxy or HTC ONE series phones which will be compatible with the network.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

I mananged to get a used but clean ESN Sprint iPhone 4s from a friend. I should have no trouble with this phone, right? That's what my fiance currently has.

Master

As long as it's a Sprint phone and has been on the Sprint network in the past, you shouldn;t have a problem. If it hasn't been on the network in the past, you may have to jump through a few hoops to get it added to the network.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

Thanks! It has only ever been used by my friend and that was with Sprint so it should be fine.
Master

Yep, you should be good to go then. You can actually do it by going to the following website,

https://www.sprint.com/activate

Should be able to complete the process in a few minutes. I use it evertime I switch phones.

--

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.