cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Essential Phone Not Receiving Texts

Journeyman

Re: Essential Phone Not Receiving Texts

@Bkhose all you have to do is open google messages back up and it will ask you if you want to switch that to your default messaging app. Say yes, and you're done. 

If you uninstalled it, just go to the play store and re-download and do the same. 

I'm hoping we get some more info it today's AMA on reddit with Essential. As someone just mentioned, if we don't get a resolution very soon I'll be buying out my lease and going back to Tmobile 

Journeyman

I am at the Sprint store now where I purchased my phone. They said that Sprint is working on it. The only thing they can tell me to do it toggle into airplane mode, then make a phone call afterwards. It will reset itself. This seems to be the only solution at this time until they can pinpoint and resolve this issue. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

It went away yesterday after changing the setting and the duplicate messages are back again. Turning off the enhanced features does not resolve it. I wish Sprint would just refund the customers instead of catfishing people into thinking it is a great deal.

Journeyman

My wife and I decided to give Sprint a try. I have been with Verizon for 18 years. Ordered the Essential phones for us through Sprint. She received hers and is having all the same issues reported above. Not very excited as now we have been Sprint customers for 1 day, and are already not too happy with the service. I am a first responder, and rely heavily on my phones SMS capability to receive dispatches. If this is how Sprint deals with its issues, then I will have to choose another provider that's more reliable. 

Journeyman

I agree Sprint knows this is an issue and continue to sell this phone.  

Journeyman

I had this problem but it seems to have stopped.  My number is my Google Voice number and I use Handcent Next SMS for texts.  I have set Google Voice to  forward texts to my phone.  This worked fine on my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.

After reading several threads on this problem, I disabled the Google Messaging app and also turned off Enhanced 4G LTE in cellular network settings.  I am no longer getting duplicate texts.

Tags (2)
Journeyman

Anyone on here from Sprint have any further status on a resolution for this ongoing issue??

Journeyman

Nope. I visited the store on Wednesday and the only thing they said was they were aware and working on trying to fix the issue. I was told this same thing happened over a month ago with the Galaxy phones. Not sure how true that is, but they were able to resolve it after a couple of weeks. This has been ongoing for months! I am receiving texts but receiving multiples. My phone goes off all hours of the day and night from repeated texts!!

Journeyman

most sprint technicians aren't even aware of the issue or don't want to acknowledge that the problem exists.  ive been struggling with this problem for a month now and its very frustrating having a phone and/or carrier that is not reliable. im elderly and rely on my phone. it is my lifeline.

GrandMaster

are you running power saver mode on your phone?
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

FWIW, it happened to me again. No texts all day yesterday or this morning, until they all arrived this afternoon. I can't imagine that it is taking Sprint this long to fix this problem.  Clearly, we have the technology to make texting work. But I'm getting tired of paying for something that obviously doesn't work! Has anyone at Sprint offered anything to anyone in compensation for this long-running issue?

Journeyman

@cjphilly I doubt it but it's worth a shot if you're upset.

Mine has actually been good for a couple weeks now. Not really sure what I did that was different than before but after doing the normal stuff, things have been working for me. 

check for carrier updates in app store

reset network settings

restart phone

disabled enhanced 4g lte mode

OMADM updates

turn on airplane mode

turn off airplane mode

Then you just have to be on top of things and test with some friends or family for a few days repeatedly. That's what I did and confirmed I was able to send and receive texts so hopefully that work for any of you guys. 

Other than that it's out of our hands. I think if it's still not working after doing all of that stuff you need to contact Sprint. It might be a bad signal in your area. 

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.