Just thought I would add some information to this. I have had ongoing issues with Sprint and not receiving SMS and MMS messages. This is not limited to the Essential Phone as my iPhone 6s did the same thing.
Things I have tried:
- Rebooting my phone
- Resetting network settings
- Updating PRL and data profile
- Factory data resetting my phone
- Wifi calling with airplane mode on
- 3rd Party messaging apps like Textra
- Having Sprint support refresh my messaging services (this temporarily works)
- I have setup automated SMS messages that are sent to my phone every 15 minutes with data time stamps so I know when they were sent versus when they were delivered. This way I know exactly when I am missing messages.
In the last 6 days, I have contacted support 14 times, escalated to technical support 4 times, and a ticket with network support filed which I have yet to hear from even though I kept getting the "you will hear from them within 24 hours". After all of this testing, it is NOT the phones. It is Sprints messaging system. What is happening is that the messages are getting queue up and not releasing to your phones. We have similar issues with our Exchange email server at work sometimes. So it is not the phone, it is not the towers, and the only thing that will fix anything is if Sprint fixes their messaging service on their side. At this point, I am in the process of trying to cancel my Sprint service and am expecting a call tomorrow from a retentions supervisor as I will NOT pay anything to cancel because it is not a customer or phone issue. The issue is squarely on Sprint. I highly doubt that any of us will ever get a resolution unless Sprint fixes or replaces their messaging platform. So it is in Sprints hands now. Either they let me go without hassle or I will ALWAYS tell people to go to other carriers besides Sprint and since I am a tech advocate, people do listen to my opinions and it will cost you WAY more than letting me cancel without hassle.
Well that would be incredibly unfortunate. You're not the first I've heard that from though. Essential answered my question in today's AMA on reddit and did say that they were actively communicating and working with Sprint to try to determine if the issue was carrier related vs. software related. Unfortunately it's a stay tuned kind of thing.
What's annoying though is that I have had periods of time where texting works perfectly for days on end. Then it just take a dump and has no idea what to do and then it's **bleep** near impossible to get an answer.
It's incredibly frustrating.
It's good that Essential is looking into it, but I think they will find the same thing I did. I actually had double SMS tests going where one was going through Level 3 ISP at work and the other was going from Charter ISP with each one coming from different domains at work. Basically setting up a control group so I could see if one would work when the other did not and when they would not work, I had tried other sources of SMS as well to see if it was an issue with carrier versus non carrier SMS based messages. It was 50/50. Sometimes I would receive carrier texts when I would not receive non carrier texts, and sometimes I would not receive any texts at all. Sprint sent me a Magic Box but that doesn't do anything but boost signal so I'm not sure why they wanted to send it, but at least it didn't cost me any money. Also agreed that it's super frustrating. I think the issue is Sprint has not invested in it's internal network and systems, just their towers and their internal systems are showing cracks under the increased volume of messages. Our Exchange server at worked did the same exact thing until we rebuilt it with better hardware and split our server into a DAG to normalize the work load. Sprint inherited a lot of their messaging from the Nextel merger and have not updated or upgraded their internal systems since then to my knowledge. So I'm not holding my breath or my Sprint account any longer. I ordered a phone through work and porting my number out to Google voice. SMS and MMS work fine on there and I won't have a phone bill each month. So, win win I guess.
I might have stumbled onto something. This morning I disabled a feature in the network settings called "enhanced 4g LTE mode" and restarted my phone. I immediately received a ton of texts in a row from the last couple of days. I have been testing it this morning with friends and have been able to successfully send and receive SMS and MMS messages.
I don't know if this is a coincidence or something firm but for now things are working as they should.
I have been receiving text messages since yesterday and no repeats. Essential support did return my call and they stated it is a Sprint issue. I have heard from other Sprint users on other model phones having same issue.
Ok, I've been having the same problem, I've found a reset cycle that seems to have been working so far:
Turn off cellular data, restart, turn data back on.
As best I can tell, there is some sort of data loop that is occurring that prevents SMS/MMS from breaking through.
I'm having the exact issues you are having. Just purchased the Essential phone. Periodically not receiving text messages. For example, I just received a text message today (Thursday) that my buddy sent me Monday afternoon. I also had this problem with an Iphone 6+ (on sprint).
I have been to three Sprint repair centers, I've done at least 3 online chats with customer service, Ive factory reset the phone, changed PRL, I just changed sim cards, and nothing is fixing the issue.
I also have a ticket with a "supervisor" who is supposed to get back to me within 72 hours. Reading this thread confirms that this is not an essential phone problem, its a sprint problem.
Hello jonese! We are currently investigating this issue. I'd like to get some info from you. Please check your inbox and reply to the private message that I just sent you.