cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Essential Phone Not Receiving Texts

Journeyman

Re: Essential Phone Not Receiving Texts

I am completely over this. I purchased the E PH-1 on 11/12, the problems began on 11/15 - duplicating texts dozens of times, all times of the day, then it started dropping texts - many many, and when they'd all come through it was a flood. Some very important that were delayed by days at a time. On 11/20 Sprint IT techs did a 'profile update' which seemed to do the trick, until this weekend. Now, once again since 12/1, I'm missing texts - and didn't realize it - and duplicates since yesterday morning. Techs couldn't help me and they have "escalated it" but i have not heard back. I am BEYOND frustrated, and the tech even told me not to believe the things I read on the internet about phone issues, as they usually aren't true. I'm assuming he was referring to these NINE pages of complaints and issues above on their own community site. If this isn't resolved immediately, I'm finished. This is one of SO MANY customer service issues, and buck-passing problems with Sprint. 

Journeyman

Yeah I hear ya. I don't blame you either. Until mine seemed to correct itself recently I was nearly about to leave. I still kind of plan to pay off my phone and head back to Tmobile at some point and see if the problem persists. I have a strong feeling it's mostly network related. People in bad coverage zones, are just having tons of problems. No way to know for sure though unless you switch and you're not going to get a good detailed response via online chat support. 

I'm also not surprised they said that about online help. That's a common corporate stance. You cant base your company decisions on a handful of users on reddit that are commenting anecdotally. Essential has been pretty vocal online though which is great but it seems like they have their hands tied here which sucks. 

I really don't think it's the phone though. 

Journeyman

So do we have any consistent fixes that work? I have read so many strings here that I lost track. Here are the suggestions I'm seeing, and I'd like to know if they were in fact useful:

1. Use Google Voice

2. Don't use Google Voice (we've seen both)

3. Use a different messaging app as your default

4. Turn on airplane mode, then off again - tried it, didn't work

5. Turn off enhanced LTE - tried it, didn't work

6. Update profiles - tried it, temp fix

7. Reset phone to factory - tried it, didn't work

8. Set up voicemail - mine was already set up when the problem began

9. ???

I think I might try to use another messaging app - has this consistently worked for folks? 

Journeyman

@emccann7272

The ONLY thing that has been said officially by Sprint is to turn on airplane mode, wait at least 1 minute, then turn it off again. 

Everything else you have read is educated guesses from the frustrated online community. 

Initially I thought it was just the app because I was having similar issues with my s7 edge when I was on tmobile. I disabled google messages and tried Pulse and that worked for a short while. Then the same problems started popping up again. That's when I started researching online and found out it's  a long standing issue (talking the better part of 10 years) with Sprint. That's why I'm so hesitant to blame Essential. 

Journeyman

I would also say do not use Google voice. It's not installed on your phone from the factory so general rule of thumb in tech support is don't complicate matters if you don't need to. There is some evidence online that people that have google voice set up have had issues with various phones and carriers. 

I would set up your voicemail with sprint and test from there. 

Journeyman

My voicemail and all is already set up with the standard factory app, the Sprint one. I'm just wondering about other texting apps (not GV) that are mentioned in the thread. I am not a phone geek so there are lots of suggestions in here that mean little to me, but this is one I might be able to figure out. I've never had this problem on Sprint (3 years) on any other Android - I have a work iPhone, but don't use it much,n not an iPerson. So this seems limited to Essential and Sprint thus far... except for the experience you mention, I haven't researched other phones.

Journeyman

Oh yeah there's no harm in that. Lot's of great texting apps out there. I like Pulse a lot but can't comment on how or if it'll help you. Install it and see! haha. 

Journeyman

It seems to me there is no reliable solution and anything that "works" is likely coincidental at best. I thought airplane mode worked, but then I tried it 8 times on Sunday and it didn't make a difference. I switched texting apps and that didn't reliably fix it.  I've changed texting settings, network settings, etc. all to no consistent fix. Keep at it if it makes you feel better, but the truth is the problem will persist until Sprint fixes it on their end.

Journeyman

Yeah, completely agree @cjphilly

Sprint Social Care

Hello guys,

This issue will be resolved in the next software update. In the mean time, as a workaround, you can place a phone call or call into your voicemail. This will release any messages in queue and you should begin to receive text as normal.

Mayorin
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Do you have any estimates as to the release schedule for the next update? 

Journeyman

I've made plenty of calls and it hasn't mattered whatsoever. When will the next update come?

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.