cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Voice Integrated calling to Canada

Highlighted
Journeyman

Google Voice Integrated calling to Canada

I got charged for calls to Canada on my July bill, it wasn't much but I called in and explained I had Google Voice and they removed the charges. I even asked "Since I call Canada a lot is this going to come up again or was this a one time error?" She assured me it would be fine in the future and that I would not get charged again.

Of course, come August, I get a bill 50% bigger than expected. Today I call in and explain it again, the lady I spoke to was less familiar with the situation and said she couldn't fix it becuase last month was a 'one-time adjustment' and that calls to canada are charged at the long distance rate even though I have google voice. I argued with her and thankfully she escalated the call quickly and her supervisor was able to reverse the charges, but he seemed to be about just as clueless as to why I got the charges and didn't agree that they were a mistake on Sprint's side. He gave me instructions on how to dial out of the google voice system to make international calls ("press 2 at the menu... etc") and said that because I was making the calls directly from my contacts that I would be charged.

However, I don't agree with that as it's the way I've been doing it since October 2011 when I integrated my GV account with my Sprint number and never got charged before.

Here is the situation:

1) Before integration I used the GV app on my iPhone to call the Canadian number, it would dial me out with one of Googles US numbers so that it was not charged.

2) After I integrated I went back to the GV app to call a Canadian number, and it dialed the Canadian number DIRECTLY. "Hmm," I thought "now that I'm integrated it must know when I dial out directly to route through GV servers, awesome!".  To be sure I only used the direct dial for a few minutes of Canada calling and checked on that first bill that I didn't get charged.

3) Since the direct dial to Canada on my phone didn't charge me on that first bill, I used it extensively calling directly from my contacts to the Canadian number and made sure to check the bill every month and never got charged long distance fees.

4) Now the supervisor at Sprint is telling me that I can't call directly as that will incur charges, but instead I must use the google voice system and then it will not be charged. That means I need to call my voicemail, and hand dial all the Canadian numbers I call. This is frustrating to say the least as I have a lot of family in Canada that I call regullary.

I can't find much information on how people are calling to Canada using Sprint integration - Have I been doing it wrong and for some reason Sprint just didn't charge me? If this is the wrong way to do then why does the GV app dial directly? If I do it through the GV app (again, on iPhone) it just dials the number directly now instead of through a US google number so I can't get those 'magic' google numbers to dial my contacts directly either.

I didn't pursue this further with the supervisor on the phone as he didn't seem to understand my problem completely. Who can I contact who is more familiar with the GV integration that will be able to help me solve my problem?

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Re: Google Voice Integrated calling to Canada

I got the same issue.

I had a $400 bill this month due to several international calls (normally it is $60 per month). The international calls cost averagely $3.5 per min. I had my sprint integrated with GV years ago and used it for international calls ever since. Never had a problem. But it seemed things had been changed since I replaced my old cracked phone with a new iphone 4s 2 months ago. Everything looks the same way as before. I can hear the rate-per-minute message from GV before the international call is connected. Looking into both my sprint and GV accounts. Even for every call, google voice charged me 2c per min; and sprint charged me $3.5 per min for the same one.

I googled this issue. Found some discussion from last year's report. Both parties (sprint+GV) had addressed to this problem. But still unresolved now. At least for meSmiley Sad

Just found it today. Will see what they will say.

Journeyman

Did either of you ever receive an answer?  I just had the same thing happen to me!

Journeyman

Nope. I never had time to pursue it further and have just been avoiding it by calling out from my voicemail. Super inconvienient but have probably spent less time sitting in GV menus than I would trying to explain it to the customer service reps

Journeyman

Have any of you escalated this to dan@sprint.com (the exec resolution folks)?

I'm curious what they say.  I have the Google Voice Option 1 integration, but haven't had to call Canada yet. 

Journeyman

Thanks.  I don't seem to have option 2 to make international calls on my voicemail.  Not sure why but maybe I'll call sprint for someone to walk me through it.

Thanks again!

Journeyman

Thanks....I'll try to escalate the issue to Dan.  I saw on the Google voice website that there is a known issue with the integration and it's due to a sprint technical issue.  I'm not sure when this was posted and what the status is but I'm pretty sure Dan will respond with 'they're working on it'.  

http://support.google.com/voice/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=known_issues.cs

Users can't enable or re-enable Sprint on Google Voice

Sprint is currently experiencing a technical difficulty which prevents new users from integrating their Sprint accounts with Google Voice. Also, users who have disabled the integration cannot re-enable Google Voice/Sprint integration at this time.

Please know that they are hard at work on a solution.

Journeyman

im being unjustly charged for international calls made over my home wifi using google voice which i have a record of google charging me for...that sprint basically decided to charge me for as well. my phone prompts me each time i make a call and i always pick google voice. sprint reps and supervisors and higher ups were all hostile, ignorant and downright unhelpful. they did not listen to the facts and seemed to think sprint wasnt liable for anything whether it is their hardware software or useless customer service. this is flat out thievery. i refuse to pay something i do not owe to sprint. also they acknowledged this issue but i was told that the country code i was dialing wasnt part of their known issue list therefore they wont help me or credit my account. i was told i should talk to google and if google acknowledges fault on their part then sprint might add my country code to their known issue list at wonderful sprint...ugh

Journeyman

I'm sorry to hear about your issues.  Did you try writing to dan@sprint.com (above)?  I found the response I received to be very helpful compared to the responses I was receiving from the everyday reps and supervisors.  Good luck!

Journeyman

I am having the same problem. I am being charges randomly by sprint since May, 2012 out of a sudden after using GV for more than 8months with no issue.

Now I have been charged for more than $500 by Sprint for only some of the call I make to canada. Don't get it. really I don't

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.