cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google voice woes

Highlighted
Journeyman

Google voice woes

As much as I really like using Google Voice I've had to disable it again on my account.  I've learned that calling Sprint's customer support gets me zero assistance, last time I called the woman said she was aware of the GV integration but never saw it work, how to use it, what it does, or what it looks like, great customer service!

Current issues with GV (phone is an S5 but its not a handset problem) -

1) Wi-Fi calling - place a call, call goes out t the call quality is excellent then after 2 or 3 minutes the call just drops.  It's not the Wi-Fi hotspot, happens at multiple hotspots, same with incoming calls.

2) outgoing calls will often fail, I'll place a call and the remote party's phone rings, but I never hear the call complete except if I try talking my voice just echo's back to me, the called party gets the same behavior.  I may have to attempt the call 2 or 3 times to get the call to go out (I've had as many as 5 attempts before I was successful) - this problem occurred with my S3 handset too.

3) While connected for Wi-Fi calling SMS messages were not coming through, either to my phone or my GV account, I think this was a temporary problem as it cleared up after a day, but I ended up disabling GV for a period of time and it cleared up immediately.

So if I call customer support I'll get the standard troubleshooting steps:

1) reboot your phone (it gets done occasionally anyway plus its not a handset issue)

2) reset your phone to factory default (OMG kill a fly with a sledge hammer, IT'S NOT A HANDSET PROBLEM)

3) Call Google - wait, who's providing me this service, Sprint or Google? I write my check to Sprint not Google, Sprint is my service provider

4) CSR goes "Oh I see there is a network (insert description here) in your area it should be cleared up shortly have a nice day" (The catch all to get you off the phone)

I always tell the CSR that I have the GV integration turned on and state "Do you think it might be a problem with the integration" I always get back something along the lines of "I see you have the integration enabled on your account but no, GV should have nothing to do with this problem"

Well obviously the CSR doesn't have the ability to think past the troubleshooting flowchart they have in front of them.

So how do I get these problems resolved??  Sprint?? I send my check to you monthly not Google, you are my provider, you have an obligation to fix these issues.

-TL

25 REPLIES 25
Master

Re: Google voice woes

Time-Lord, My apologies to hear about the issues you've been having. We're happy to help. I know it's irritating at times when told to contact google but, the technology is hosted/maintained & provided by Google. As of right now has GV been added back to your account since you last removed it? After removing the battery for 60 seconds then inserting it back in, does this problem still occur? Has the GV been removed from the account for at least 24-48 hours and then added back, with the Profile being updating?

WiFi calling- Calls may drop, echo static or may even sound garbled if the Wifi speed is not capable of supporting the call. Do you happen to know the Wifi speeds?

- Ash
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

As of right now GV is NOT enabled on my phone, I disabled it yesterday morning.  Since disabling GV all the issues I have described (including Wi-Fi calling) have ceased, I have not added GV back to my account since I disabled it yesterday.

Regarding the Wi-Fi calling, as I just said now the GV is disabled on my account it works with 100% reliability, when GV was enabled my call would last no more than 5 minutes at which time it would simply disconnect, no jitter, no drops just a cold disconnect.  The Wi-Fi in the locations I've used it are known to be stable and without interference from other A/Ps, a speedtest (speedtest.net) on my phone reveals 18.9Mb/s down and 14.5Mb/s up with a 14ms ping time.  I'm using 802.11g and I think those speeds are more than acceptable for a voice call that should require approx 90Kb/s.

Again this is not a handset issue, although I've restarted the phone (removed the battery) previously.  Disable GV on the account and presto everything works 100%.  Something is broken between Sprint and GV and Sprint needs to take ownership of the problem.

-TL

Master

Time-Lord - I apologize for the inconvenience, but you will have to contact Google since that is their service. I hope this clears things up. - Latonya
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Figures Sprint is going to pass the buck, I'm not Google's customer, I'm Sprint's customer, Google is Sprint's supplier for this service.  For example if I have problems with my electricity I call the electric company, the company that I send my payment to, I DO NOT call their suppliers for service.

SPRINT FIX YOUR NETWORK

Master

Time-Lord,

Please know Google Voice is Google's product and service. To use your analogy, Google would be the supplier of electricity and Sprint the supplier to access their service. This would be the same case as when using a app that crashes when trying to use it on your device.

Sincerely,

KC
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Yeah, I call the company I purchase the service from, I purchase the service from Sprint.

I suspect in the off chance I can get a hold of somebody at Google they will tell me its a problem with your carrier and you need to call them.

Again Sprint is my provider, can you prove to me 100% that there is no problem within your network that when Sprint links my account to Google that is causing the problems?  eg maybe a bad handoff within your network? improperly programmed switch?  Are you 100% certain?  Or do you simply want to pass the buck to somebody else because you really don't know what to do?    

Master

Time-Lord,
I have read through your issue and looked it up. You are correct that since your primary cell services comes from Sprint, you call Sprint to find a remedy to the issues. However, being that the app you're having issues with is a third party app, which is supplied by Google, only Google would be able to assist you in eliminating the issues. I noticed you stated that once you disabled Google Voice, your issues have disappeared. Which seems like it wouldn't be a network issue, but more of an app issue. I would suggest that you reach out to Google.
- Tiara
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

And supposed I am somehow able to contact google and they say, sorry you aren't our customer, Sprint is our customer/partner you have to work with them?

Plus it still doesn't answer why Wi-Fi calling always fails after about 2 to 5 minutes but a call over the cellular network (once established) doesn't have any issues, to me this sounds like some sort of notification from Sprint to Google is not being passed properly, have you been able to confirm with 100% certainly that the problem is not on Sprint's side?  I highly doubt it.

Sprint, you need to take ownership of your network issues.

Master

Time-Lord - GV is a service that already uses data in order to complete your calls. However, when on the WiFi connection, you are no longer using the data service from Sprint. Nor are you using voice service from Sprint, but from the GV app. In this case, we are unable to provide much troubleshooting. The issue would either lie within the WiFi connection in use or the application. From your previous posts the only constant variable in this problem is the GV app. It would be best to contact Google to find out if there are any known issues with the GV app in use over a WiFi connection. We appreciate you reaching out for assistance with this. I hope this has shed some light on getting the resolution you need. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. - Nellie
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

who terminates the Wi-Fi calling (using Sprint's Wi-Fi calling app) and an on network call?  Sprint, that's who, Sprint may in turn forward the call to GV for further processing but to me it sounds like that hand-off is broken and needs to be investigated by Sprint, possibly in conjunction with Google, something a customer cannot do.

Sprint you need to fix you network!

-TL 

Master

Time-Lord - When you are using Sprint voice services for WiFi calling and a call drops it would generally be in regards to the WiFi speed or connection. When using Sprint voice services for network calling and a call drops we would have to check our network in the area to make sure there are no outages. When you are using Google Voice services for regular calls or calls over WiFi the Google App you are using controls the calls, this is why we are directing you to speak with Google for assistance as to why the Google Voice Apps is not working properly. We do not have access to check any system that the Google Voice runs off of. We can only check our network, and as you mentioned once you turned off your Google Voice, both the WiFi calling and network calling began to work properly. I do hope you are able to get this resolved. Let us know if you have any other questions. Have a wonderful day. - Katie
Sprint Social Care
Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.