cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotspot being capped starting October 2nd. Really?

16 REPLIES
Journeyman

My phone is my primary and only internet connection. I'm unemployed / self-employed and do PC repair on the side to keep my gas tank filled and Windows Updates, Antivirus Downloads and Device Drivers are important for what I do.

But don't worry, since the cap only applies to the wifi hotspot function and not phone data, I'm sure I or someone will just write a proxy app to string the data thru the phone to make the service think all the activity is coming from phone and not the computer. Or I'll at least have my phone save all my large downloads to my awsom 16GB micro SD card.

Thanks for inspiring innovation, Sprint!

Journeyman

Just to let you know this is a marginal change and can get out of the contract for this change because this will affect the way you use service. just wanted to let everyone know! I was able to

Journeyman

Face it they ripped you off. If they said "ok as of Nov1 we are dropping unlimited for all new people.." OK I get it but to just throw all of us under the bus like this is a classless money grabbing move and I'm dropping this as soon as i can, I was told you have about 45 days to decide so of they tell you the will charge you go up over their heads thats NOT true you can get out of your contract but move fast. The only damn thing they had going for them and they kick it out the window.... just DUMB!

Journeyman

Yepper thats the plan!

Journeyman

Re: Hotspot being capped starting October 2nd. Really?

Was it October 2nd or is it really November 2nd?

I picked up the Sprint Sierra hot spot wifi specifically to use my iPad instead of ATT 3G service. I have been happy with it and the unlimited 4G was the big selling point. I will be very unhappy if they do away with it.

Journeyman

Re: Hotspot being capped starting October 2nd. Really?

It is part of the current contract.

Sprint reserves the right, without notice or limitation, to limit data  throughput speeds or quantities or to deny, terminate, end, modify,  disconnect, or suspend service if an individual engages in any of the  prohibited voice or data uses detailed below or if Sprint, in its sole  discretion, determines action is necessary to protect its wireless  networks from harm or degradation.

http://shop2.sprint.com/en/legal/legal_terms_privacy_popup.shtml

Although I wonder how the network could degrade any further.   .01Mbps is quite slow, especially with constant network disconnects.   Perhaps Sprint is perpetually limiting my data throughput speeds?

I find this interesting;

Our data services may not be used: to generate excessive amounts  of Internet traffic through the continuous, unattended streaming,  downloading or uploading of videos...

That sounds like HULU, Netflix, Orb, Slingbox.   The question is; how much is excessive?

Journeyman

New Sprint Iphone Ulimited data--Don't believe it--It's a sucker's deal.

Sprint has cancelled the unlimited Premier service on everyone's Evo 4G.

So, it's another of sprint's sucker's deal on the Iphone.

Sprint will cancel that unlimited Iphone data service just as soon as they have enough suckers signed up.

Journeyman

I just came back from the local store and was told that yes it did apply to hotspots on phones.  

Journeyman

I called Sprint and talked to a Chistine and she said the cap does not/ will not apply to phone hotspots. Will have to wait and see.

Journeyman

On top of revoking the Premeir status (I was), this just hurts. While it may actually impact a small number of users, it just comes across wrong. It was a nice differentiator for Sprint.