cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I delete an e-mail account on my Sprint Galaxy S 4G?

Journeyman

I have 2 hotmail accounts on my Galaxy S phone right now. One of them, I deleted on my PC.  I have tried to find a way to delete it also on my phone but I haven't been succesful.  I have gone to account settings and it doesn't give me the option to remove it.  I don't get any mail on that account anymore, but, it still shows on my e-mail application as if it still exists.  Help!

16 REPLIES 16
Wizard

Is this the first account that you setup on the phone.  If so, the only way to remove it would be to do a factory reset as you cannot delete the default email account.

Journeyman

It was the first e-mail account that I entered on the phone, but, it is not longer the default account for I did change it to the second e-mail account. 

Wizard

Considering it was the first e-mail account that you entered into the phone, that is all that matters.  Unfortunately you would have to reset your device to clear it even though you changed your 'default account' on your phone.  That is one reason it is highly recommended you create/setup your Gmail address before any other email addresses.

Journeyman

Ok, then, I will do that. Luckily for me, I didn't download anything important on my phone. Will have to enter all my contacts again, but, that's fine. Thanks for your help.

Journeyman

One more question though. You said you highly recommend to set up my Gmail account first.  There's already a Gmail application on the phone.  I just entered all the information on the phone after I reset the phone to its factory settings.  Do I need to go to the e-mail application and enter my Gmail information again there so it can become the default account?

Wizard

Re: How can I delete an e-mail account on my Sprint Galaxy S 4G?

Before you reset, you can back your contacts up on your phone by opening your contact list, pressing menu>import/export/export to SD card.  Reverse the process after the reset but chose import instead to put the contacts back onto the phone.

Edit: Your second question... Yes, you can either follow the initial setup wizard after the reset which will prompt you to sign in to your account or you can just click on the Gmail icon on the phone and sign in through there before setting up any other email accounts and that will become your first and 'default' email so that you can delete any other email accounts on your phone at a later time.

Master

You said It's a "Hotmail" account not "Gmail" you don't have to factory reset, Your phone is tied to the first gmail account added, If you wanted to change that you'd have to do a factory reset. All you should have to do is delete that account from the email app. Usually if there is no delete in the options, If you long hold on the one you want to delete a menu with the option to delete may pop up.

Wizard

Re: How can I delete an e-mail account on my Sprint Galaxy S 4G?

If the Hotmail account was setup before the Gmail account was created, a reset will be required.

Master

But when you activate the phone you have to add a gmail account first, The phone is not tied to hotmail.

Wizard

It wants you to setup a Gmail account during the setup wizard and obviously is required if you want to get into the market, but you don't have to setup a Gmail account if you skip the setup and proceed to use the phone.

Master

The hotmail account is added in the app, It's not tied to the phone requiring a reset any email account added into the app can be deleted, The only time a reset would be required would be if you wanted to change/delete the default gmail account.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.