cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long until being contacted for excessive roaming?

Journeyman

How long until being contacted for excessive roaming?

Hello,

I have been working with Sprint trying to get the network issues in my area (95616, and also 57107 before I moved) resolved for a long time now (invested around 10 hours in the last month alone on the phone with Sprint support and trips to sprint stores and apple stores) and I'm sick of it. So, instead of being polite and not using the extended network in my apartment (in an urban area) I'm going to just use extended network as much as I think I should be able to until Sprint calls me. I hate the be "that guy" but I'm at my wit's end.

So my question is how long until someone calls me to discuss my use of extended network? Will it be at the end of the billing cycle?

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17
Wizard

Re: How long until being contacted for excessive roaming?

usually after that first billing cycle you go over is the first time it's communicated to you.

Wizard

Thank you for using Sprint Community to voice your questions and concerns.  I'm including the terms and conditions for roaming below.

Off-network Roaming: The primary use of your Device must be for domestic purposes within the Sprint-owned network. Domestic means use in the 50 United States and U.S. Territories (except Guam). Sprint reserves the right, without notice, to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if off-network usage in a month exceeds: (1) voice: 800 min. or a majority of minutes; or (2) data: 300 megabytes or a majority of kilobytes. The display on your device may not always be on and will not indicate whether you will incur roaming charges. You can monitor usage online through My Account. Roaming is not available with single-band phones, or to customers who reside or whose primary use is outside an area covered by the Nationwide Sprint Network. Sprint may limit or terminate service if you move outside of the Sprint owned-network.

Technically, after you reach that limit, your roaming ability should could be suspended within your billing cycle.  Hope this answers some questions for you.  Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support
Community Hours: 9am-2pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

Master

Sprint does not suspend roaming abilities once a customer reaches the soft limit.
To the OP, You have to excessively roam for 2-3 months before Sprint sees it as a problem and "should" contact you in a letter informing you to try to curb it, But in a lot of cases customers never receive notification until they get their accounts terminated.

Wizard

levi4u,

in my experiences, I've seen most communicated lately after the first bill cycle going over. Whether or not a customer 'sees' the various notifications or a phone call is a possibility but I'm sure 100% of the time notice is given.

Master

They do not notify after the first bill cycle for excessive roaming, And I see many reports of customers being terminated without prior notice, So no not 100% get notified.

Wizard

Not from what I see. Sometimes we get half the story on here too.

Journeyman

Thanks for the info Fergie_B

So, if I've got this straight... I don't have Sprint service in my apartment (in an area that Sprint's maps say I should have very strong service) but if I use the extended network and reach the limit I will have it cut off?

That sounds pretty poor to me....

Wizard

it's common terms of service with wireless carriers; to have a majority of usage on network. lacking in-building coverage happens for all of them.

Get yourself an Airave so you have coverage in the apartment (Sprint.com/airave). Sprint's In-Home Coverage Committment: 'If your in-home coverage doesn't meet your needs, we may have a solution for you. Call 855-790-4878.

Journeyman

I'm not sure that's correct because I get 5 bars of extended network coverage in my apartment which leads me to believe it's Sprint's network that is the problem, not my "cell phone scrambling apartment"

Wizard

what I meant is, you said the Sprint coverage map shows strong signal strength. Obviously your reality is that you aren't getting great signal strength in your apt from Sprint. Not meaning it's your 'scrambling apartment' but just for some reason signal is reaching you.  So your roaming is getting 5 bars. I didn't mean every carrier would have signal issues in your apartment. I meant it is common with all of them to want you to use a majority of your service on their network and they all have issues here or there with signal strength - it happens.

Obviously Sprint's roaming partner's signal strength is doing great in your apartment. I'm glad it is. Airave is another option though to help you right now  (assuming you have the prerequ's like high speed 'net).

and then of course in the near future once the 800Mhz Nextel frequency is flipped over this year so Sprint phones can use it, signal penetration will be a different story.

Wizard

jfkdlsaa,

If you do not have service in your apartment, there are steps we can take to improve your service.  But yes, the terms and conditions of the roaming contract and ultimately results in suspension or cancellation.  We definitely want you to be on our network and will do whatever we can to ensure that you stay that way.

Sincerely,

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support
Community Hours: 9am-2pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.