cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 5 exchange

Highlighted
Journeyman

Iphone 5 exchange

My last 2 year contracted ended about 2 years ago when I purchased 2 new iphone 5s from a Sprint store.  One of the phones is in bad shape.. the other works perfectly.  If I purchase a Sprint compatible iphone5, (not from Sprint) will I have to sign another 2 year contract?  Will I lose my current plan?  I'm sure there will be an activation fee................ Thanks for all replies.

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
GrandMaster

Re: Iphone 5 exchange

no you wouldn't need to start up a new contract. technically the leases went out the window in January. if you're bringing in your own device or one you purchased, as long as its able to work on Sprints network all they must do is add it into their system and then swap out the device currently on your line with the replacement device. what problem are you having with the current device?
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
GrandMaster

contracts*. not leases. the leases are very much still ongoing. the 2 year contracts are no longer available. didnt spot my mix up until just now. my bad.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for your reply.  The phone has actually been dropped a couple of times.  The first time the screen cracked and was replaced, the 2nd time, half the screen was black... the other half looked like bad reception from an old tv. Now the "speaker" option turns off and on during a voice conversation... the phone cuts on and off occasionally also, texting is a nightmare as different letters appear which aren't the ones typed.  The phone is rebooted and all is well for a short period of time then it starts acting up again.

The store that fixes the phone also sells new and refurbished iphones.  I don't want to lease or make payments and I would like to stay away from 2 years contracts. 

Highlighted
GrandMaster

have they performed a reset on the device to see if its possibly a bug in there or something didnt load right?
Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes the store did a reset on the phone.  This is probably a coincidence but the phone was upgraded to the new OS just after it was repaired.  I doubt that has anything to do with the phone's problem. 

Highlighted
GrandMaster

you would be surprised at how many issues can crop up after an update lol. which update is your phone currently on?
Highlighted
Journeyman

10.2.1.   I've had Sprint since the Katina flip phones and the Everything Data plan.  I upgraded one phone to the Imagine and Sprint tacked on an $10 premium phone fee as the Imagine where considered smartphones.  When I upgraded the other to the Imagine, Sprint did the same thing.  Next upgrade were the iphone5(s)s  which I still have.  Sprint changed the name of the fee from premium phone fee to premium data fee.  Still can't quite understand what a premium data fee is. 

Highlighted
GrandMaster

basically the assumption is all smart phones will use more data compared to the older styled "dumb phones" (flip phones etc). thats why they received that charge. this was brought in when i had the original HTC Evo.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Have you done any research into any other phone company's plans?  I understand that each person's phone needs differ but considering unlimited plans do you have an opinion on whose is best?  My plan is over 10 years old and I haven't found anything that quite matches it for value even with the added Premium fees.  Just wish Sprint still offered the new discounted phones.  I paid $149. for my iphone5s with a discount at Best Buy.  Guess those days are gone.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

actually..contracts through Sprint are no longer...BUT..rumor is (calling it rumor because i cant remember where it was posted lol) apple is still doing some kind of 2 year contract..not exactly sure how it works though. might even contact an apple store, let them know which carrier youre with and just tell them you heard about a 2 year contract deal through them for Sprint..wish i could remember where i spotted that though..im all over the place in here so it could have been ANYWHERE lol.
Highlighted
GrandMaster

for where i live and the locations i usually go to Sprint is the better deal and performs as well as Verizon does here..ATT and TMO are the under dogs where im at in Northern California. i have stayed on the same plan for many years now..i'll still be on the same plan until i must take that jump..my mom was on the same plan i am on and switched to the lease...changed up her max data and is now paying less than she did before on the 2 year contract..the lease deals sound scary but you can chip down what is needed and not so much needed and find something that works for you and is cheaper. go back maybe 5 months or so and look at the maximum amount of data you have used and start there..worst case you used that much in a billing cycle..etc
Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.