Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Messaging App on HTC EVO LTE still overzealous with image compression

Highlighted
Master

Messaging App on HTC EVO LTE still overzealous with image compression

We really need to get this taken care of. It's actually gotten to the point that it's just stupid.

Problem: Attaching images or screenshots to MMS messages results in images being reduced to a non visible state.

This problem has been around since the LTEVO was introduced. Numerous complaints to HTC with them aknowledging that they can duplicate the problem in house have still resulted in no fix after 4, yes 4 updates.

Scenario: A Screenshot that started out as 458KB get's reduced to 22KB using the Stock Messaging system. It gets reduced to 266KB using a 3rd party app like Handcent. That's a 95% reduction with the stock messaging app versus a 42% reduction using a 3rd party app.

Camera images are just as bad. A photo taken with the camera (max resolution) started out as 1.27MB get's reduced to 34KB using the Stock Messaging system. It gets reduced to 579KB using Handcent. That's a 97% reduction with the stock messaging app versus a 54% reduction using a 3rd party app.

Regardless if a 3rd party app is preferred as some users may say, the Stock Messaging system still needs to be fixed because not everyone wants to use a 3rd party app.

Changing the MMS size makes no difference. the same image will get reduced to the same size regardless whether "Maximum Message Size" is 300K or 1M

References:

The following thread is the one I created when the phone first came out, http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/450924#450924

The following is another thread on the same subject, http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/520810#520810

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Messaging App on HTC EVO LTE still overzealous with image compression

smotrs,

I know it can be frustrating when trying to send pictures through text, and it gets reformatted to a lesser quality. Most all phones do this. This is done so that the text can be sent out. I great way to send pictures without the quality being sacrificed is through email. Hope this helps!

Samantha

Sprint Social Care Team

Tuesday-Saturday 11am-8pm mst

Highlighted
Master

Unfortunately, it doesn't. I can understand the messages getting reformatted to a lesser quality, that's normal. But please read my message again. Using a 3rd party app like Handcent or GoSMS  results in a picture more then 10X the size of the picture sent with the HTC Messaging App provided. Take a look at the following post and click the image for a fullsize version of the problem.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/526775#526775

You will see the original image from my phone. Next to that the image, as you say, reformatted to a lesser quality by the HTC Messaging app and next to that you will see it reformatted using a 3rd party app. See the difference?

Also, HTC has verified this is an issue, see below quote from HTC.

Thank you for contacting HTC.  I understand we are having an issue with the MMS picture when sending out from the HTC EVO 4G LTE the picture is compressing from the original size and it does not matter the resolution the picture is taken in.  I would be happy to help this matter as much as I can.

I was able to successfully recreate the issue here in the office, and would like to like to send this issue to our escalation team.  However I would need some additional information.

I've jumped through hoops working with them providing the necessary information and testing for this since the phone came out and it still does the same thing after 4 updates. Sure, it's not an issue like the Proximity Sensor being too sensitive or not being able to turn the Camera Click sound off, but it's still an issue that all the LTEVO phones are having.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Master

Samantha, had a chance to review?

--

Highlighted
Master

Marco?

--

Highlighted
Wizard

smotrs,

Thanks for the feedback. I have the same device but I have not tried to recreate your issue. HTC manufactuers the device and they would have to provide a fix in collaboration for the customer experience with Sprint. You are absolutely correct in saying it is an issue and needs to be fixed. I don't know and can't speak to any updates or releases until they are officialy announced but if HTC sees this is a problem it would be mitigated by a software update. I will try and find out.

Andrew B.

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Master

Andrew, Thank you. I had hoped it would have been an issue fixed with one of the 4 updates we had. But with each update I check only to find out that it hasn't been addressed yet. So then I go back to the HTC site and send a bug report only to be told again that they have been able to duplicate the issue and will send it along. Seems like if they were able to duplicate the issue they should have been able to address it by now.

But maybe its a request for repair that has to come from Sprint. It's possible there's not enough up roar about it because allot of people are using a 3rd party app. Or maybe others don't realize it's a problem because they aren't on the receiving end of the message. In any case, it should still be addressed I believe so that the phone itself can perform as it was intended.

I know you can't tell me/us when actual updates are coming or whether a certain issue will be addressed in the upcoming update(s). But I do hope this will be bumped up internally within Sprint and looked at.

--

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.