cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please allow us to change the number of Rings before our calls go to VoiceMail.. Respond to this Post if you agree!! Thank you!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Please allow us to change the number of Rings before our calls go to VoiceMail.. Respond to this Post if you agree!! Thank you!

(DOUBLE POST- NOT SURE WHERE TO PUT THIS, THANKS)

There are times when I want my phone to ring a lot and sometimes when I only want it to ring a few time before going to VoiceMail. Please allow us to change this option... The old network I was with allowed me to call and change my voicemail settings and the options were in there to to have more or less rings (+-Time) before going to VoiceMail Also I had an old phone that allowed me to change the settings using that phone... But Sprint does not have this option...

In my case I forward a number from Google Voice to Sprint and it will not go to Sprint Voicemail because sprint takes 25-27 seconds to go to voicemail and GV goes to VM in 25 seconds so GV always goes to VM 1st ... It does not seem like google voice has this option yet either... Sprint actually has the chance for once to beat someone to the punch and get it done!

Also I know many people who want it to ring longer to give them time to answer their phones due to delays, but my case is the otherway around... Either way I think we should be able to have control of this feature, thank you.

Please respond to this and let others know if you have the same issues and just maybe Sprint will actually do something for their customers.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Please allow us to change the number of Rings before our calls go to VoiceMail.. Respond to this Post if you agree!! Thank you!

This is something set at the switch level, not on the device. As long as its Sprint phone, when someone calls it, it will ring on the callers end for about 21 seconds, or roughly 6 rings on the callers end. Included in that 21 seconds is that time needed to locate the phone on the network. From the callers end, two of those rings are normally used to locate the phone and connect it, leaving four additional rings on the callers end where your phone is actually ringing. Sometimes it can locate your phone quicker, sometimes slower, but what I have described is what I would consider normal.

We have no setting to extend that 21 seconds of ringing. I honestly don't know if its adjustable or not in the switch, but unfortuately it's not a feature we offer on the Sprint side of the fence. Commonly the problem is actually that the network takes too long to locate the phone. Every ring that it uses to locate it, is one less ring on the device itself.

A common trick to help the system locate your phone quicker is to remove the battery and leave the phone off for atleast 60 seconds. It is important to actually follow the 60 second rule on this one, as this relates to how the towers communicate with the phone. After about 60 seconds of the network not being able to find the phone, it clears out any of the previous info from the phone registering on the tower. Afterwards when you put the battery back in and power on the phone, it will do a fresh and new registration. This will usually clear up any delays in the network locating the phone. In other words, your phone will start ringing more quickly when someone is calling, allowing you more time to get to it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Please allow us to change the number of Rings before our calls go to VoiceMail.. Respond to this Post if you agree!! Thank you!

Hm... Google Voice said after 25 seconds it then goes back to Google Voicemail... but if sprint is supposed to go to VM at 21 seconds then I shouldn't be a problem (unless it takes more than 4 seconds for google to forward it to Sprint..).. but it's more like it's taking Sprint 27 seconds or more to go to VM so GV takes it back to it's own VM.

We'll I guess I will have to use both voicemails until either google voice can allow their time to be changed or when Sprint can allow their time to be changed.... It's such a complete pain... All this technology advancedments and I feel like we are going backwards... Since I could easily do this about 10 years ago on my old Cell Phone... Maybe I can call sprint and see if they can take the number I have on google voice and forward it directly to my cell phone.. removing GV from the equation....  my issue is that I need 2 numbers to go to 1 phone, 1 Voicemail but I don't want to pay for 2 separate services to make this happen...

Anyways... Thanks for the quick reply

Highlighted
Journeyman

I might have a temporary solution ... I may be able to find an android app that will auto reject a call after so many rings then it will go to sprint vm. I know they have some that auto reject and send a text message so maybe I can set it to auto reject with no message...  I will post my findings after I test it

Highlighted
Patron

I wholeheartedly agree:  We Users ought to be able to set the number of ringtones that occur before the switch to voicemail.  What if I need couple of extra seconds because my phone is momentarily not readily accessible?  Conversely, why should my caller have to wait nearly half a minute only to be told to leave a message? This is stupid.  Please fix it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My phone takes 40-42 seconds to go to voicemail!  This is an absurd amount of time.  Please make this change to allow customers to change the number of rings for voicemail.

Highlighted
Master

This is not something we have a capability for in the system at this time.   When using Google voice it has a 25 sec timer and that is from the time it rings and goes through its process of forwarding the call  it is not listen to rings  just running a timer.  It depending on routing and some other factors your it may be 5-6 seconds for the call to connect.   If that is the case Google voice is going to take the call to its voice mail.     Currently the time your phone will ring is approximately 23 seconds.   We do not have any way to change this time on the network.     You can find cases of a device that will ring longer before going to voice mail or for a shorter time. 

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.